Barclay Spencer International

Slinging mud based on an individual's family name is pathetic and not worth dignifying with an answer. (Bye the way, Tony St.John -Bourke has a work permit!)

Regarding other work permits, all Barclay Spencer employees permanently based in Thailand are either Thai nationals or have work permits. Some cnsultants however travel around the world providing expats with informatin about and connections to off-shore companies, and they have Non-immigration B (Business) visas issued by the government to allow them to operate in that capacity.

Michael - So do you have a work permit issued by Chonburi Province showing the Barclay Spencer registered office in Chonburi?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emmu: Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I am impressed. The Barclay Spencer rep I had a conference with was the traditional "encylopedia saleman" who had a spiel and nothing else, didn't listen, and had no answer for subtle questions.

However, Provident seemed to be a good fit for me except for their up-front costs, ie, your commission, so like most insurance products, a four or five year minimum investment. The ATM feature and the ability to draw down on interest accumulation and tax free earnings were attractive.

Just a few month ago, I read a negative news article that they had a very unprofitable year, ie. didn't deliver on their more than one hundred year record of paying dividends. Was that correct. Do you have a comment on them.

Still interested.

And waffle such as

"using the same international investment house on a US$ denominated investment product over the same 31 month period"

P_brownstone. I'm happy to have you come to the office and go over the figures of the 5 persons concerned. (I will need to blank out their names and addresses for privacy reasons however) You offer a cowardly attack on my integrity, let's see if you have anything in your scrotum! Call me and make the appointment.

Bye the way, we never quote anyone more than 12% as an expected maximum return, but I have on this forum been asked to offer examples of success, and none of our clients mind if we occasionally out do our own expectations! Hence, the example offered.

Here's another example, this time for thaigene2

Problem with that logic is that brokers, financial advisers, insurance salesman, estate agents, used car salesman..etc, etc, aren't creating anything.

Barclay Spencer (Carrigan) International has negotiated (created) a prefferential charging structure with Royal Skandia that delivers vastly better actual returns to our clients than you would get if you went to them direct (or to any other Advisor). For example; our client with $200,000 invested getting an average return of 10% per year would gain an additional $206,119 more over a 20 year period than the client with the same money on the same return invested directly. This is created by reducing the charges they pay over time. No-one else can do this!!!

One time, I called Barclay Spencer back to complain about the manners of one of their cold callers, and they told me they had no one by the name that the caller gave me.
pvtdick. I can't do anything about the past, and I'm sorry that you have felt hassled. Call me and give me your name, adress and phone number and I will have your name flagged for no future calls. If they did take it off the computer, someone would re find it and it would all start again!
Michael - So do you have a work permit issued by Chonburi Province showing the Barclay Spencer registered office in Chonburi?

Digger, you must surely know that work permits are issued to the company, not the individual. Yes we have a work permit to cover me. I already answered that.

My name is Michael Berris, my numbers are:

Office 038 716 223 or Mobile, 018647632 :o

However, Provident seemed to be a good fit for me except for their up-front costs, ie, your commission, so like most insurance products, a four or five year minimum investment. The ATM feature and the ability to draw down on interest accumulation and tax free earnings were attractive.

Just a few month ago, I read a negative news article that they had a very unprofitable year, ie. didn't deliver on their more than one hundred year record of paying dividends. Was that correct. Do you have a comment on them.

ProThaiExpat, there are two seperate issues here as I see them, let me take the last first.

The news article you are reading talks about the company itself. The fact that the company did or did not pay dividends to the share holders of the company is quite different to whether of not the people who have a graduated investment system that Provident (and I am assuming that you are actually speaking of Friend's Provident here) made good return on their investments. The people investing through FP are actually putting their money into a range of worldwide investment mechanisms, which if properly managed will include a range of asset classes, geographic regions and probably ever currencies to maximise returns while minimising risks. The clients we have with FP products are all making good returns through this company. It may however be the reason they are trying to increase their market share by offering special deals at the moment!

Secondly,

You pointed out that the product seems to be a good fit for you. I'm pleased, and not suprised as it does have a number of unique features that make it stand out from the crowd for certain people's situations.

As far as costs, I'm sorry to say that in every business in the world there are costs of doing business. Even the farmer (who doesn't actually create anything, he sows a seed and comes back to pick up what was created in his absence) has to pay for tools and fuel and transport and those costs are built into the price of the goods. (I know Thaigene2 would like to only reimburse the farmer for the price of the seed, but it's never that simple.) We just happen to be more transparent than most other industries and tell you up front what all of the costs are.

In the final analysis however, you have to work out what it will cost you in lost profits to leave your money under the mattress rather than having it grow in a well regulated, productive environment.

If I can help you reassess the options, call me.

Office 038 716 223 or Mobile, 018647632

Hi again Emuu

"P_brownstone. I'm happy to have you come to the office and go over the figures of the 5 persons concerned."

So now it's 5 people, not 2, for whom you have worked your magic?

Your clumsy "24.8%" hook is a clear attempt to convince others that this is acheivable on a consistent basis if they trust you with their Funds. No careful Investor would believe that is possible and no responsible Advisor would suggest it is either.

"Digger, you must surely know that work permits are issued to the company, not the individual. Yes we have a work permit to cover me. I already answered that."

I, apparently like Digger, never knew that ... could it be that your knowledge of Thai Immigration / Work Permit regulations is on par with your "Financial Advisor" acumen?

Surely not!

i Found this in this weeks Notices section in the Pattaya Mail:

N03/21-24/ Urgent Notice! Westminster Portfolio Service Clients. All clients of WPS who have not done so are requested to contact Michael Berris at Barclay Spencer International regarding the administration of your policies. Failure to do so could result in serious financial loss to you. Please phone 038 716 223 Mon - Fri 9 am - 5 pm

SERIOUS FINANCIAL LOSS!!!!!

sounds serious.....

What about the 7% or more front end loads. What about the companies that try to push long term investments by using the family children education ( like insurance salesman). Is it not normal that childrens education funds are set seperate and should use more conservative investment tools. Childrens education funds are nontaxable investments in some countries anyways. What about access to funds when you need it or getting out of an investment. What are the penalties. Why would anyone go long term on a invesment, better to evaluate an investment every year and go with something else whenever the investor deems it necissary

and this includes changing brokers. What type of experience should the broker have, seems like many are just salesmen and have no business dealing with other peoples life savings.

What about load adjusted returns why is this never discussed. Why go through

3 or 4 companies when you can directly deal with the big brokers directly. If you

are offshore then a offshore broker should not be an issue I would assume.

p_brownstone, you say

in an attempt to ridicule me.

let me remind you what I stated previously

In this little town of Pattaya, one local advisor got one client a loss and two clients an average 1.8% p.a. return. On our recommendations, the two clients of ours that I have looked at,

So we can be clear, that's three of his former clients and two of ours, namely 5 people. I have all of their figures available.

I, apparently like Digger, never knew that ...
That says it all. You don't know. Is it necesary to criticise me because I do know?

You had time to post an email but no time to phone me yet. I am willing to account for all that I say. The question is are you? Call me and let's talk about your concerns.

To splitlid,

you mock our notice with the following

sounds serious.....

Just to explain... Leslie Wright who was the man behind Westminster Portfolio Services tragically died of lung cancer recently. He approached us when he discovered his impending fate because he believed we have integrity and we agreed to look after his clients. Unfortunately his records had fallen out of date in some areas and we still have not been able to contact a number of his clients.

Many of them have variable portfolios whose contents need to be periodically changed from one asset class to another to avoid the substantial losses that can occur when a particular sector of the market takes a hammering. For some people this can mean the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

We are simply trying to do our best to contact anyone affected and help them look at their options.

To khun ?

The questions you pose are some of the same ones we ask. A good solution often requires different strategies for the one individual. No two peoples needs are identical. Some also benefit from discressionary and/or succession trusts as well.

Some people who we speak to don't need our help at all as they would not gain any better results within the terms of their criteria by going with us. We simply tell people that and our involvement with them has simply been a no cost exploritory consultation.

When we do act as advisor and/or fund manager for clients, we charge our fees quarterly in arrears. We can be dismissed from the role by a unilateral decision of the client who does not even have to tell us, they can notify their investment house directly. This means that we have to consistantly prove our value to our clients in tangible terms in order to retain their business.

In general terms:

It is noteworthy that all of the criticisms are from people who haven't actually used our services. Our clients are happy with us.

To splitlid,

you mock our notice with the following

sounds serious.....

Just to explain... Leslie Wright who was the man behind Westminster Portfolio Services tragically died of lung cancer recently. He approached us when he discovered his impending fate because he believed we have integrity and we agreed to look after his clients. Unfortunately his records had fallen out of date in some areas and we still have not been able to contact a number of his clients.

Many of them have variable portfolios whose contents need to be periodically changed from one asset class to another to avoid the substantial losses that can occur when a particular sector of the market takes a hammering. For some people this can mean the loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

We are simply trying to do our best to contact anyone affected and help them look at their options.

wasnt mocking dear fellow just stating it sounded serious!

you certainly do get defensive!

wasnt mocking dear fellow just stating it sounded serious!

you certainly do get defensive!

You're probably right. I probably just need to laugh at some of the entries!

I promise I'll try. :o

Everything Leslie did for people was within the framework of solid Offshore investment companies, so the investment framework will remain in place. Eventually, if the investment drops to the point where fees eat up the remaining money, the institution will stop trying to find them and will close their fund. If their portfolio stays relatively stable, it will remain in place until the client finally contacts the institution or us and either continues the plan or takes their cash.

Because of privacy rules they work with, the institutions will not even confirm the existance of these clients to us or anyone else unless the client authorises it in writing, so we can't help them at all without their approval.

good stuff.

by the way if you cannot contact everyone,what will happen to their investments?

Most people with vast amounts of invested capital would normally know something about how to make money and at least a little about investing. Seems as the ones that was in active managed accounts would of made arrangements far before and would of at least checked in with their advisor a few times a year.

It seems to be a clear fact that active advisors will not do things on a performance

basis, based on beating the indexes and few of them do beat the index over time so a once or 2 times a year consulting with

an advisor would be fine and not carry the cost, after all we are talking mutual fund jockeys anyways not Warren Buffet types. What type of advisors end up in the expat market overseas anyways. If you do not want to be bothered with offshoring your funds which in itself can be a pain just set up things with a reputible advisor back home and if nothing else take what the market will give and

buy the indexes. After all mutual funds have guru's suposedly that trade in and out of their investments as the market goes. This is what mutuals are all about

anyways so just adding a middle person does nothing but add on cost. The only real reason to have a full time broker is if you are in stocks other investments not mutuals.

p_brownstone, you say

in an attempt to ridicule me.

let me remind you what I stated previously

In this little town of Pattaya, one local advisor got one client a loss and two clients an average 1.8% p.a. return. On our recommendations, the two clients of ours that I have looked at,

So we can be clear, that's three of his former clients and two of ours, namely 5 people. I have all of their figures available.

My dear chap, you can hardly blame me if you are unable to construct a sentence making it clear that you have access to the records of another Investment Advisor.

I, apparently like Digger, never knew that ...

That says it all. You don't know. Is it necesary to criticise me because I do know?

Once again I must apologise - I am British and cursed with the national inclination to sarcasm as a substitute for humour, unfortunately this is often mis-interpreted as diffidence.

The point I was trying to make is that you are totally incorrect in your assertion that, in Thailand, Work Permits are allocated to Companies, not Individuals, the reverse is the case.

However I do have personal experience of at least one Country where a Work Permit - or to use the local term "Quota" - is associated entirely with a Company, and where, to a large extent, filling that position with a suitably qualified Expatriate is at the discretion of the Company owning the "Quota" ..... perhaps either you or your Company is under the impression that the same rule applies in Thailand?

Interestingly enough that Country is also well known for the quality of its' Investment opportunities and ....... Advisors.

Oh - the Country??

Nigeria.

Give this guy a break. Its obvious none of you have actually invested money in offshore. Maybe you should speak to someone who has and has benefitted from such services. The comments on this thread are mostly sarcastic and ignorant.

Financial advice is an essential requirement for everyone. We all procrastinate to some degree and I count myself amongst the majority who at some point have delayed making a financial decision and regretted it later. Even if taking financial advice simply confirms what you already know it is often the essential catalyst for action.

work permits are issued to the individual but they belong to the company who's name appears on it.

Granted.

But not in the sense that, for example, if the Company has a Farang MD (or whatever position) with a Work Permit, then the Permit is automatically transferred to anyone who subsequently assumes that position.

The new incumbent has to prove his qualifications to the Labour Department before being granted a Work Permit, so, practically, the Permit is issued to the individual.

No Company has a blank Work Permit in which they can simply write a new name as and when they change personnel, which is what Emuu seems to be implying.

Give this guy a break. Its obvious none of you have actually invested money in offshore. Maybe you should speak to someone who has and has benefitted from such services. The comments on this thread are mostly sarcastic and ignorant.

Financial advice is an essential requirement for everyone. We all procrastinate to some degree and I count myself amongst the majority who at some point have delayed making a financial decision and regretted it later. Even if taking financial advice simply confirms what you already know it is often the essential catalyst for action.

I did and wish I didn't, it will take me years to make up the losses. More salemen than professional advisors. From my experience once the comission is booked forget about anything else. Stay away from the ones who sell them with a load

or have their own funds unless they are well known and registered on the SEC.

The more in the food chain the more the expenses.

Digger, you must surely know that work permits are issued to the company, not the individual. Yes we have a work permit to cover me. I already answered that.

Micjhael, the work permit is issued to you as an individual. If you do not have the little blue book with your mugshot in it, i'd be asking for it pronto from your employer as its your responsibility to produce it if asked not your employers.

To all involved in this thread.

The comments made by various people on this thread clearly relate to an industry which over the years and locations has had its problems and dramas, and clearly, its incompetents and thieves. In that, it is no different to any other industry or sector of the community.

This thread was commenced by a gent who simply wanted to find out if anyone had a recommendation about Barclay Spencer International. Everything that has followed has been from people who have no knowledge of Barclay Spencer, only fears (some well founded) of the generic industry, not us specifically. Even Kuhn ?'s comments (which he has confided privately to me) do not relate to us, but another company in Pattaya. (The original gent has arranged to come and see me and will be provided with the references he requested.)

To this date, from the comments, it appears that appart from my input, not one comment comes from someone with actual investment experience through Barclay Spencer. To the extent of addressing the original issue, it is speculation, not information.

It is certainly not my intention to defend the actions of people or groups who abuse investors but over whom I have no control.

Regarding Barclay Spencer (now Barclay Carrigan) International, 4 months ago I left a well paid senior management position in an Accor Hotel group subsidiary involved with Managed Investments to take a position with a company that I was convinced was providing superlative investment support to clients within a transparent and highly productive framework. I saw an oportunity to assist people get much better than average returns but still within the protective environment of a well regulated, accountable system.

In the time I've been here, nothing has occured to make me think I made the wrong decision.

I take on board all the comments you have made and thank you for your input. I will once again confirm my legal status with the company.

However, I think that this thread has now started to go around in circles and it is probably time to let it fade away.

You all know how to get hold fo me from past postings if you feel you wish to. So with that, farewell and have great lives. :o

:o Was contacted by a similar sounding name via landline and mobile last week promising riches,how did there get my telephone numbers? ramdom calling ? i not think so because both calls were within 30 minitues of each other and had my correct name on both occasions mmmmm

To all involved in this thread.

The comments made by various people on this thread clearly relate to an industry which over the years and locations has had its problems and dramas, and clearly, its incompetents and thieves. In that, it is no different to any other industry or sector of the community.

This thread was commenced by a gent who simply wanted to find out if anyone had a recommendation about Barclay Spencer International. Everything that has followed has been from people who have no knowledge of Barclay Spencer, only fears (some well founded) of the generic industry, not us specifically. Even Kuhn ?'s comments (which he has confided privately to me) do not relate to us, but another company in Pattaya. (The original gent has arranged to come and see me and will be provided with the references he requested.)

To this date, from the comments, it appears that appart from my input, not one comment comes from someone with actual investment experience through Barclay Spencer. To the extent of addressing the original issue, it is speculation, not information.

It is certainly not my intention to defend the actions of people or groups who abuse investors but over whom I have no control.

Regarding Barclay Spencer (now Barclay Carrigan) International, 4 months ago I left a well paid senior management position in an Accor Hotel group subsidiary involved with Managed Investments to take a position with a company that I was convinced was providing superlative investment support to clients within a transparent and highly productive framework. I saw an oportunity to assist people get much better than average returns but still within the protective environment of a well regulated, accountable system.

In the time I've been here, nothing has occured to make me think I made the wrong decision.

I take on board all the comments you have made and thank you for your input. I will once again confirm my legal status with the company.

However, I think that this thread has now started to go around in circles and it is probably time to let it fade away.

You all know how to get hold fo me from past postings if you feel you wish to. So with that, farewell and have great lives. :o

Sorry I did not mean my post to be associated with Barclay's investments and actually from what EMUU is stating that they do it on fee based on keeping you satisfied

and you move when you choose, it sounds ideal for most. No load to boot is unusual for offshore from what I have seen. For those that do not want to

take the time to do prudent investments I would actually say use a company like Barclays. It sounds like the better you do the more fees he gets and that is one of the bases an advisory should be chosen. Why pay a front load, you have less invested and why should someone be concerened after their company has received their comission up front. Specially when they will try to lock you into something long term which is in no way in your best interest.

To Michael Barris / Emuu

I am the original poster of this thread.

I congratulate you for stepping up and answering the many questions, especially since many are pure attacks.

I also find it interesting that not one person has admitted to being an actual client and commented on his experience.

jimbbc

Interesting to here that nobody has made it to an interview ? They made an appointment with me then cancelled it the morning of the interview, then they made another, then the day before they phoned again, but it was a different person who had all my detail's wrong ! it didden't matter because he canceled the appointment again anyway, Trust them with money ? Don't be an idiot, there pollished alright, very slipery, and they got a real shit name in the channel island's, Better you give your money to me, I will take care of it, promise.

and they got a real shit name in the channel island's,

What an interesting imagination you have pop3!

I suppose it is possible that Old Mutual International doesn't like us very much as we have helped many clients restructure out of non performing funds with them into good performance funds with other institutions (always at no cost to our clients bye the way).

If anyone would like a genuine reference, I suggest they call or email either Friend's Provident or Generali International with whom we do business regularly on the Channel Islands.

Sorry that for whatever reason we didn't get to see you when planned. If however you would like an opportunity to meet me and see if there is anything of value that we could offer to do for you, I will be happy to take your call or email.

Michael Berris

Barclay Carrigan International

038 716223 or 018647632 :o

• 5 months later...

I’ve just come across this thread – several months after the event and it may well be that all the interest has died down already. However there are a number of very interesting points raised both by comments made by a great number of well-informed posters as well as by a number who clearly are seeking more information and don’t know how to obtain it.

Firstly let me declare my interest – My name is Paul Gambles and I’m the Managing Partner of what, as far as we can verify, is Bangkok’s largest, longest-established offshore independent advisory practice, MBMG International ( I’m somewhat in trepidation as to what might be read into our name! :o ). I’m not coming on this thread either to tout for business or to criticize Barclay Spencer/Carrigan. My interest is to correct some misapprehensions about my industry – admittedly that in itself is selfish, my own job does become much easier when many of the myths and urban legends about properly registered investment advisors are put to the sword!!

Firstly – this issue of references is interesting. It is entirely understandable that clients of any offshore advisor might not want to publicly stand up as referees. One aspect of the offshore industry is the confidentiality that is conferred. It would be a little illogical for someone who had the benefit of such confidentiality to then broadcast what they had done to all and sundry. However at our practice, a great deal of the new clients that come to us tend to come by referral – they come to us because other satisfied clients recommend them to do so – at this point they already have a reference from the existing client. Of the remaining new clients the majority come from corporate connections that we have in place – XYZ Co may have used our services for many years, both for their corporate requirements and as a recommendation to their employees. In these instances we can usually get colleagues to vouch for the work that we have undertaken previously. If a client comes to us cold, and understandably requires any additional reference we would look either to provide a list of the corporations for whom we have undertaken non-confidential work in the past or we would try to identify whether the new client was likely to know any of our existing clients through work or social connections and see whether such an existing client is prepared to make an individual testimony on our behalf. I personally don’t believe that the references given by investment companies whose wares the advisor is looking to promote are particularly meaningful (especially when one of these companies referred to on the thread is beset with scandals itself to the extent that the directors of its parent company may face jail sentences in Sweden!). This of course leads to the issue of how to find an advisor or how an advisor finds you! Unsolicited phone calls are now subject to legislation here in Thailand although there haven’t yet been any legal actions launched following the recent legislation on such marketing which is why advisors who are opposed to this method of business soliciting have drafted a Code of Conduct, under the auspices of the British Chamber of Commerce. Membership of the Code requires compliance with a regulatory framework based around those in the UK and Hong Kong and additionally does not allow compliant members of the Code to make any unsolicited calls. If you receive any such calls, you should ask the caller if he represents an advisor that complies with the Code of Conduct. If not, then such an advisor is not bound by the only stringent regulatory code for offshore advisors in Thailand – if he does, then he’s in breach of the Code! Another requirement of the Code is that companies are properly registered in Thailand and that all advisors working for those companies must obtain work permits. I have mixed feelings about this point – I’d take the view that not having a work permit is indeed as questionable as the posters to this thread imply BUT don’t necessarily assume that a work permit automatically equates to good advice – use that only as a starting point; you can also check with the MOC whether a company is registered in Thailand and where it is registered to operate (Barclay Carrigan are registered to operate in Bangkok, and have changed their name from Barclay Spencer before you all ask). Such a search would also show that MBMG International was registered in 1996 and operates in Bangkok. However, again ensuring that a company is compliant with the Code of Conduct is another way of doing this check.

I agree totally with Astral about shopping around – the more ideas that you get, the better your choice will be. We encourage clients to ask the right questions and to obtain and verify as much information as possible before committing their hard-earned in any direction. There are plenty of ways of verifying information – at MBMG International we use a third-party portfolio manager to manage our clients’ funds (currently around US$ 73 Million) and his performance is audited, published and ranked by S&P, Lipper etc . Call me cynical but I’d rather hear how S&P/Micropal or Lipper rate the guy who’ll be managing the money than what the guy selling the investment thinks. That way it doesn’t matter whether we’re talking about Barclay Spencer/Carrigan, MBMG International, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, UBS or whoever, you have an impartial, specialist 3rd party verdict. Having worked in banking for a major organization, I happen to believe that good independents maintain much better client dialogue/local service and are much more answerable to their clients. I guess I would say that, wouldn’t I, but the reason that I’m doing this here now, is that I believe that I’m offering my clients a great deal more than I ever did at the bank, and economies of scale these days mean that we can access equally good and in many cases better resources than the big institutions. We certainly spend far more on servicing our clients than the bank ever did!!

Shopping around should also lead to the right investment structure – depending on the nature of the investment front-loaded structures may be more advantageous than ongoing fee-based structures, or vice versa. It’s important to ensure that an IFA offers both structures and also rebated commission basis, rebating upfront and trail commissions and working on an agreed hourly fee. If an IFA can’t offer all 3 arrangements then you certainly need to talk to more than one IFA, as each type of arrangement can be suitable for different individuals in different situations. To say that one is cheaper than the other is not to understand how the differences in each structure are designed for differing situations. It's understandable if a client says that, looking from his own perspective, but more worrying if an advisor does, as he should be looking from every perspective.

A couple of other points by way of update –

MBMG International now write the columns in the Pattaya Mail and Chiang Mai Mail – for many years we questioned the value to our business of writing such columns, but seeing some, but not all, of the various columns that are published, we felt obliged to contribute rather than see some of the barely-disguised hard sells that were disguised as weekly articles!

On a totally unrelated point, I have been advised that Tony St-John Burke no longer works for Barclay Spencer/Carrigan but has set up his own practice.

Scouse, I’m not here to air my views on Barclay Spencer/Carrigan but I don’t really think that you could compare them to a boiler room.

I’m in danger of writing the longest post in history and I don’t know whether anyone is still remotely interested or not, so I’ll take a break here and if there’s any interest at all in this I’ll continue in response to people’s posts – or if you want me to go away and shut up, I gladly will!!

Regards,

Paul