Chiang Mai - luang prabang by motorbike

blueyeshk

My plan is to start a honda dream trip from Chiang Mai via Luang Prabang and back to Chiang Mai any ideas/hints for paperwork /routes/border crossing bad and good experience ?

I

My next long break from work I will be doing some touring on my new Tricity..

Probably down the islands

I've done that trip in my truck. It's do-able on a motorcycle, in fact, I was thinking at the time that it'd be a great trip on a small bike like that. The brains behind taking a stupid bike like that is that you'd be able to get it fixed anywhere.

Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong. Chiang Kong (Huay Xai) to Luang Prabung. Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. Then on to Vientiene. Cross into Thailand there and ride back to Chiang Mai taking the route along the river to Sri Chiang Mai and then on through Loei, Uttaradit, Lampang to Chiang Mai.

You'll need paperwork to get your bike across the border and you'll get that from Thai Transport or Motor Vehicle office. In thai it is "Khon Song" (both long "o"s). It's where you'd go to get a drivers licence. You need a vehicle passport.

It'd be great trip with like minded folk, and a pack of tools and emergency parts. You can get by in Laos very easily with good Thai especially if you know some of the small differences (but big ones) between Thai and Laos languages. If you cannot speak Thai, I'd bring someone who could.

Why don't we move this over to the bikes in Thailand sub forum? A link will be left here. You'll probably get some very good feedback over there also! If you want, we can always move it back over here later.

Have a great trip!

Topic Moved.

I've done that trip in my truck. It's do-able on a motorcycle, in fact, I was thinking at the time that it'd be a great trip on a small bike like that. The brains behind taking a stupid bike like that is that you'd be able to get it fixed anywhere.

Chiang Mai to Chiang Kong. Chiang Kong (Huay Xai) to Luang Prabung. Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng. Then on to Vientiene. Cross into Thailand there and ride back to Chiang Mai taking the route along the river to Sri Chiang Mai and then on through Loei, Uttaradit, Lampang to Chiang Mai.

You'll need paperwork to get your bike across the border and you'll get that from Thai Transport or Motor Vehicle office. In thai it is "Khon Song" (both long "o"s). It's where you'd go to get a drivers licence. You need a vehicle passport.

It'd be great trip with like minded folk, and a pack of tools and emergency parts. You can get by in Laos very easily with good Thai especially if you know some of the small differences (but big ones) between Thai and Laos languages. If you cannot speak Thai, I'd bring someone who could.

u still cant take a bike over the bridge at Chiang khong

what u have to do if u really want do this route is place ur bike on a pick up truck and they will drive it across the bridge. its a pain in the ass

Note also vehicle passports ( purple passport book) are ONLY for cars now

Bike must be in ur name an u need ur green book with you

From Huay Xai u first head to Lunag Namtha for the night and than next day on to LP form udonmaxi to LP there is a 80 kms stretch or so of really bad road!!!

check gt riders forums for latest

Better going voer above Nan and up to Luang Prabang

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

So to avoid the hassle at Chiang kong is there a good route to get back to the road no 3 between Chiang kong and luang namtha after I enter via nan, or is this than of the menu and I can only choose to go straight to Luang Prabang ? Anyone did this before?

Edited by blueyeshk

• 1 month later...

Just went crossed via huai kon into Laos with Honda dream real easy just make sure u got dollars on hand as they charge instead of 20$ -1200 bht now in pak beng found a working ATM now just need a micro sim and internet package and let's the adventure begin until here the streets where spotless easy with zero traffic

• Like 1

I have seen honda waves moded into motards with big chunky tyres. I was thinking these would be a great idea to explore Laos. The Wave used to be available with an manual clutch too.

I just got my pickup car passport updated for the current year; plan a trip to Vientiane for a visa run. So a bike should be doable. LTD need to see your visa in passport.