Am I good to go? (non-imm o based on marriage - Savannakhet)

Ok, so next week I'm heading to Ubon and then to Savannakhet. I have been searching the forum for info as well as on the embassy and consulate homepage, but I thought I would ask you guys who know how things work from experience one last time.

I got a document from my embassy (Sweden) stating I get an income equal to 44k baht/month and that I am not, nor have I ever been, married.

I went with the paper to Chaeng wattana to get it stamped, chose the 3 day option since I was in no hurry.

Now I got the papers and the translation is all in order.

We will hit the amper office tomorrow or next day with 2 witnesses and hopefully that should be it(?)

-Now what do I need to bring to Savannakhet?

-Will I be able to pick up a non-imm O based on marriage this time? Or do I need to go and get the marriage certificate stamped at Chaeng wattana as well? (Will be possible with express service I guess).

-Will I be able to get a multiple entry? (and if so, does that work like the 2 entry tourist visa? i.e. I can leave after my given time and then come back and get 90 more days?)

I would prefer to have all copies and stuff ready before I leave so I don't have to loose any money in Laos (I have never been to Savannakhet, but Laos is really good at digging in on my budget, mostly cause I'm not used to Kip and probably pay over price for tuktuk and similar..)

If it's not possible then I can still do a tourist visa one more time since I only have one and basically I'm a tourist since I'm not working but studying on distance.

I'm sorry if some questions are stupid or if they have been answered a million times before. I tried to find all the information needed, but this is all new to me and I want to be 100% sure that I know what I'm doing since I'm not using an agent or similar.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time to answer with relevant information.

All you will need is the original and a copy of the marriage certificate you will get from the Amphoe. Plus signed and dated copies of your soon to be wife's house book and ID card to get a multiple entry non-o in Savannakhet. And of course the 5000 baht fee.

A multiple entry non-o will give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You will not have a problem using it.

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 400k baht in the bank for 2 months for proof of 40k baht income. You would just need to get single entry non-o visa to apply for it.

• Like 1

There is a very helpful Thread about obtaining a multiple non-o: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/

You should be able to find all the information you need there. The first post actually covers everything.

Just one thing to mention and maybe somebody else can chime in with definite answer. When I was there ( July 2014 ) they were building / completed an new Thai Consulate and I think I read that they are open now. So on most threads you will find the old location of the Thai Consulate, not the new one

• Like 1

Don't worry too much about using local currency. They prefer Thai Baht but give change in Kip. There is a good duty free shop 200m away on the right hand side as you exit Laos immigration. Is a scramble to get on the bus so don't be shy to push your way on. Otherwise you will get left behind. Enjoy.

• Like 1

The copies of the Tabian Baan and wife's ID do not need to be stamped or signed. They look at the original marriage cert and hand it back, keeping the copy. Copy of your passport as well as original plus 2 photos. 5000 for multi entry.

Was there 10 days ago...super simple process.

• Like 1

i thought if you got the proof of income from home country embassy in bangkok you didn't need to go to savannakhet? i thought you just needed to go and do the amphur stuff then to the thai embassy here and switch over to non-immi o?

What Thai embassy here? There is no Thai embassy here in Thailand.

You can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need to show proof of an income of 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank.

• Like 1

i thought if you got the proof of income from home country embassy in bangkok you didn't need to go to savannakhet? i thought you just needed to go and do the amphur stuff then to the thai embassy here and switch over to non-immi o?

You can do a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at Bangkok immigration based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need to show proof of an income of 40k baht or 400k baht in a Thai bank.

Yes silly me - I meant Immigration

Does it have to be Bangkok?

Only Bangkok can do the conversion based upon marriage and it will more than likely take 2 trips do do it. They normally tell you to come back in 2 weeks to get the visa and entry stamps.

I suggest unless you live in or near Bangkok it is best to make a trip to an embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

Only Bangkok can do the conversion based upon marriage and it will more than likely take 2 trips do do it. They normally tell you to come back in 2 weeks to get the visa and entry stamps.

I suggest unless you live in or near Bangkok it is best to make a trip to an embassy or consulate to get a single entry non-o visa.

Do you mean like the OP? e.g. get a single from Laos then extend to a year based on marriage at local immigration?

Apologies for barging in on your thread by way of a question but I am planning a similar trip at the moment for the same visa (Multiple entry non O)

My issue is that i was not present in Thailand when my daughter was born and failed to get the right documents over in time to be added to her birth cert. I did not realize it would be such a issue further down the line but it seems that before I get married i have to prove paternity of my first child, if I don't it will cause problems further down the line (I am on the birth cert of my second BTW).

We tried to go down the Amphur route with no luck and am now looking at the options of having a paternity test done. I have all the forms and declarations that i need to get to get married, i just need to get this sorted ASAP as my visa is running out.

First question, can anyone recommend a relatively cheap way of getting the DNA testing done? All the routes I have looked in to seem quite expensive, upwards of 15000THB.

Secondly, can I get a declaration of income from my embassy (UK)? I am 29 years old and have a business in the UK.

Thirdly, do I need the declaration of income from my embassy to get the multiple-entry O in Savannakhet?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean like the OP? e.g. get a single from Laos then extend to a year based on marriage at local immigration?

That is exactly what I mean if you are living in the northern part of the country. Penang if you are in the southern part of the country.

Get the single entry and then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry you get from the visa.

• Like 1

That is exactly what I mean if you are living in the northern part of the country. Penang if you are in the southern part of the country.

Get the single entry and then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 entry you get from the visa.

Thanks again Joe

Sorry OP for hijacking! I hope my questions help others too

• Like 1

Apologies for barging in on your thread by way of a question but I am planning a similar trip at the moment for the same visa (Multiple entry non O)

My issue is that i was not present in Thailand when my daughter was born and failed to get the right documents over in time to be added to her birth cert. I did not realize it would be such a issue further down the line but it seems that before I get married i have to prove paternity of my first child, if I don't it will cause problems further down the line (I am on the birth cert of my second BTW).

We tried to go down the Amphur route with no luck and am now looking at the options of having a paternity test done. I have all the forms and declarations that i need to get to get married, i just need to get this sorted ASAP as my visa is running out.

First question, can anyone recommend a relatively cheap way of getting the DNA testing done? All the routes I have looked in to seem quite expensive, upwards of 15000THB.

Secondly, can I get a declaration of income from my embassy (UK)? I am 29 years old and have a business in the UK.

Thirdly, do I need the declaration of income from my embassy to get the multiple-entry O in Savannakhet?

Thanks in advance

I am not sure that getting married first would make it any harder to get your child's birth record sorted out. Some government hospitals can do the DNA testing. I would think they would be less costly. You might want to do a topic on the Family and children forum or have a look there for some info.

Since you have another child and your name is on the birth certificate you can get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your child. You can also get a single entry non-o visa with their birth certificate.

Yes you can do a statutory declaration of your income at the UK embassy. You will not need it though to get the multiple entry visa in Savannakhet.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

ok, so it seems I have it all under control then! Thanks a lot all who chipped in with some information! Truly helpful advises straight through!

just want to be sure regarding a few posts where the information may contradict each other, or simply be misunderstood:

All you will need is the original and a copy of the marriage certificate you will get from the Amphoe. Plus signed and dated copies of your soon to be wife's house book and ID card to get a multiple entry non-o in Savannakhet. And of course the 5000 baht fee.

A multiple entry non-o will give you unlimited 90 day entries for a year. You will not have a problem using it.

You could also apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage if you have 400k baht in the bank for 2 months for proof of 40k baht income. You would just need to get single entry non-o visa to apply for it.

The copies of the Tabian Baan and wife's ID do not need to be stamped or signed. They look at the original marriage cert and hand it back, keeping the copy. Copy of your passport as well as original plus 2 photos. 5000 for multi entry.

Hm, so at first I thought I should bring the copies of Tabian baan and ID to Chaengwattana and do another run of certifying copies. But if I read correct it is enough that my soon-to-be-wife signs the copies and dates them, much like she would do when acting guarantor for relatives without monthly income etc?

What pages of the Tabian baan are they interested in? Only my Wife's info or parents and siblings as well etc?

Thanks again Joe

Thanks Carlpipe, and please hijack more! you helped me and hopefully others to clear out some questions I had not even thought about smile.png

Since my T visa extension expires the 24th and I already have tickets to Ubon the 21th I will go to Laos either way this time.

I will need to leave the country quite a lot in the coming months so a multiple entry seems good for me.

I'm still a bit confused about extensions vs. non imm Visas, as it seems when you start living here full time on an extension you are practically not on a Visa anymore, but you can go on and on doing the extension for eternity as long as you have what needs t qualify? (like an income)

If so I guess I will go for a non imm O this time since I will be leaving the country either way and have all tickets booked. Then I should be able to do an extension when I have done the necessary trips after 6 months or so. (or can you leave and come back on the extensions as well?)

My passport is running out of pages as well, and as a Swede I can't add extra pages so I think I will go back home and get that sorted. I know it can be done here, but it costs a lot and it would be a good opportunity to visit family members that are too old to get down here now. Can I transfer the Non Imm O from my old passport to my new one? Or can that only be done if I make my new passport at the embassy here in Bkk and don't leave the country?

As for witnesses at the ampeur office, it can be anybody right? Or does it need to be Thai locals? Not that it should be a problem, but most people are working office hours that I know, I do have some American friends that are still in between jobs so if I can use at least one of them and then my fiancee's brother etc that would be great.

i have heard people recommend the office at bang rak before, I guess cause they deal with a lot of similar cases so they have no problem registering a marriage between Thais and other nationalities(?)

And last, how long time should it take to get the certificate done at the ampeur office? Are we talking minutes, hours or "wait 2 days" again?

Thanks a lot to all, the link was very helpful as well! Not sure how I missed that one. I feel way more confident that I have it all more or less sorted out by now thanks to you guys.

ok, so it seems I have it all under control then! Thanks a lot all who chipped in with some information! Truly helpful advises straight through!

just want to be sure regarding a few posts where the information may contradict each other, or simply be misunderstood:

Hm, so at first I thought I should bring the copies of Tabian baan and ID to Chaengwattana and do another run of certifying copies. But if I read correct it is enough that my soon-to-be-wife signs the copies and dates them, much like she would do when acting guarantor for relatives without monthly income etc?

What pages of the Tabian baan are they interested in? Only my Wife's info or parents and siblings as well

When I went 10 days ago, I only gave them the Tabian Baan page that had my wife's details and a copy of the ID both sides. I took the first page as well, that has the address details but they didn't want it. NEITHER copy of Tabian Baan or ID were required to be signed or stamped.

I took the original Tabian Baan book with me just in case but not needed.

So to clarify...For NON O based on marriage (multi entry) you need the following:

2 X Passport Photos for Non O

1 X Completed Form (saves time and money if you do in advance and not use the hawks outside)...on the form I put Wife as reason for visa, last entry date, address as per Tabian Baan and left several blanks which they ignore.

1 X copy wife's ID card - both sides

1 X copy Tabian Baan page with wife's information (take original just in case if you feel better doing so)

1 X original Marriage Cert

1 X copy marriage cert

5,000 baht for Multi Entry.

That is it.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What pages of the Tabian baan are they interested in? Only my Wife's info or parents and siblings as well etc?

Thanks again Joe

Thanks Carlpipe, and please hijack more! you helped me and hopefully others to clear out some questions I had not even thought about smile.png

Since my T visa extension expires the 24th and I already have tickets to Ubon the 21th I will go to Laos either way this time.

I will need to leave the country quite a lot in the coming months so a multiple entry seems good for me.

I'm still a bit confused about extensions vs. non imm Visas, as it seems when you start living here full time on an extension you are practically not on a Visa anymore, but you can go on and on doing the extension for eternity as long as you have what needs t qualify? (like an income)

If so I guess I will go for a non imm O this time since I will be leaving the country either way and have all tickets booked. Then I should be able to do an extension when I have done the necessary trips after 6 months or so. (or can you leave and come back on the extensions as well?)

My passport is running out of pages as well, and as a Swede I can't add extra pages so I think I will go back home and get that sorted. I know it can be done here, but it costs a lot and it would be a good opportunity to visit family members that are too old to get down here now. Can I transfer the Non Imm O from my old passport to my new one? Or can that only be done if I make my new passport at the embassy here in Bkk and don't leave the country?

As for witnesses at the ampeur office, it can be anybody right? Or does it need to be Thai locals? Not that it should be a problem, but most people are working office hours that I know, I do have some American friends that are still in between jobs so if I can use at least one of them and then my fiancee's brother etc that would be great.

i have heard people recommend the office at bang rak before, I guess cause they deal with a lot of similar cases so they have no problem registering a marriage between Thais and other nationalities(?)

And last, how long time should it take to get the certificate done at the ampeur office? Are we talking minutes, hours or "wait 2 days" again?

Thanks a lot to all, the link was very helpful as well! Not sure how I missed that one. I feel way more confident that I have it all more or less sorted out by now thanks to you guys.

You just need your wife to sign and date the copies. You will need the house book page that has the house address on it and the page she is on.

You can do one year extensions for infinity. You only need to leave the country if you want to. If you do want to leave you would need to get a re-entry permit. I have done 7 based upon marriage and have not left the country since I got the visa that gave me the permit to stay I have been extending.

A visa cannot be transferred. You will need to use both passports until the visa expires if you have a multiple entry visa. If you have an extension of stay that can be transferred. It does not matter where you get your new passport.

Not sure about the witnesses. I am not sure they can be a family member. When we got married my wife just asked a couple of people that were in the waiting area at the Amphoe up here.

You will get the marriage certificates shortly after you finish the paperwork.

• Like 1

When I went 10 days ago, I only gave them the Tabian Baan page that had my wife's details and a copy of the ID both sides. I took the first page as well, that has the address details but they didn't want it. NEITHER copy of Tabian Baan or ID were required to be signed or stamped.

I took the original Tabian Baan book with me just in case but not needed.

So to clarify...For NON O based on marriage (multi entry) you need the following:

2 X Passport Photos for Non O

1 X Completed Form (saves time and money if you do in advance and not use the hawks outside)...on the form I put Wife as reason for visa, last entry date, address as per Tabian Baan and left several blanks which they ignore.

1 X copy wife's ID card - both sides

1 X copy Tabian Baan page with wife's information (take original just in case if you feel better doing so)

1 X original Marriage Cert

1 X copy marriage cert

5,000 baht for Multi Entry.

That is it.

Thanks! Very straight forward info indeed.

As for the form, can't you just pick up one for free in the consulate, much like I would do in Vientiane during a Tourist Visa-run before? - Or do you need to use the hawks outside to get a form from the consulate? I guess it's possible to find the correct form online for download and print as well(?) Will check into that deeper.

So I should write my address as the same as in the Tabian baan on the form? Or should I write the address where we actually live in Bkk as I usually do on my arrival cards(?)

But that pretty much said it all, only question that remains is who can follow to be a witness and how long time I should expect it to take (exact hours are not important, more if we are speaking hours or days from that we go to the ampeur office with 2 witnesses until the time we get the marriage cert.)

You just need your wife to sign and date the copies. You will need the house book page that has the house address on it and the page she is on.

You can do one year extensions for infinity. You only need to leave the country if you want to. If you do want to leave you would need to get a re-entry permit. I have done 7 based upon marriage and have not left the country since I got the visa that gave me the permit to stay I have been extending.

A visa cannot be transferred. You will need to use both passports until the visa expires if you have a multiple entry visa. If you have an extension of stay that can be transferred. It does not matter where you get your new passport.

Not sure about the witnesses. I am not sure they can be a family member. When we got married my wife just asked a couple of people that were in the waiting area at the Amphoe up here.

You will get the marriage certificates shortly after you finish the paperwork.

Thanks Ubonjoe! That sums up the last question marks. So I guess we better just try to get to co-workers from my fiancee's work and try to get it all sorted out during the afternoon tomorrow. I know family members couldn't be witnesses from my side, so I guess it's the same here. So better just bring some random friends of my gf.

Thanks!

Yes forms available there, I downloaded from their website and printed then completed by hand.

Address wise I put same as Tabian Baan for ease of application. You can do the same I guess then just say you moved when you came back if asked.

Witness...when I registered at the Amphur in December in KK I used a staff member as a witness, just the wife and I were present when registering the marriage. We failed the first time as we didn't have the translation of my Freedom to Marry certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Thanks Joe,

Apparently you have to declare all children when you get married so it just makes sense to include my daughter.

With the 90 non O based on shild, how many of them can I get? That is what im on at the moment and coming toward the end of my 60 day extension.

Thanks again.

Thanks in advance

I am not sure that getting married first would make it any harder to get your child's birth record sorted out. Some government hospitals can do the DNA testing. I would think they would be less costly. You might want to do a topic on the Family and children forum or have a look there for some info.

Since you have another child and your name is on the birth certificate you can get a 60 day extension at immigration to visit your child. You can also get a single entry non-o visa with their birth certificate.

Yes you can do a statutory declaration of your income at the UK embassy. You will not need it though to get the multiple entry visa in Savannakhet.

Hijacking a bit here, but somewhat related. Does the wife need to own a house to get a visa and extension? These seems like a strange requirement. Many people are married to people that don't own houses.

Can it just be a certified document showing where she lives? Is just the ID enough?

I'm not married yet. Just curious.

Hijacking a bit here, but somewhat related. Does the wife need to own a house to get a visa and extension? These seems like a strange requirement. Many people are married to people that don't own houses.

Can it just be a certified document showing where she lives? Is just the ID enough?

I'm not married yet. Just curious.

House ownership is not required.

The house book we have been writing about are the ones that every Thai must be registered in. That can be any Thai's house book. Often it is the parents house book.

when queuing at the new Thai consul;ate in Savannaket in the morning - go to the large gates on the left of the building and with the assistance of other friendly farrangs form a defensive semi circle around the gates - this will ensure that the there is no pushing in as witnessed on my recent visit,

Hand over as stated in the commentary above all docs and get your ticket number ( this ticket denotes your passport number not your place in the queue for the afternoon collections) the whole process is painless.

The tuk tuk drivers will take you to a cracking french cafe in the interim between submission and collection if requested

Have fun :)rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

when queuing at the new Thai consul;ate in Savannaket in the morning - go to the large gates on the left of the building and with the assistance of other friendly farrangs form a defensive semi circle around the gates - this will ensure that the there is no pushing in as witnessed on my recent visit,

Hand over as stated in the commentary above all docs and get your ticket number ( this ticket denotes your passport number not your place in the queue for the afternoon collections) the whole process is painless.

The tuk tuk drivers will take you to a cracking french cafe in the interim between submission and collection if requested

Have fun smile.pngrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice. I will be landing in Ubon on Tuesday morning, so I guess I will just get over to the bus station and take a bus to Mukdahan.

Since I won't be in Mukdahan before noon at least I will wait with the embassy until Wednesday. Would you recommend staying in Mukdahan for the Night or go over to Savannakhet and stay there for a night?

I guess it all comes down to when the border opens? (Mukdahan seems very small, but still it looks like more "fun" than Savannakhet, but I've never been to either so I really have no idea).