Secure Postage - Melbourne to Isaan

roodujardin

Hi all,

Have used various methods in the past with mixed results. What I am now aware of is that once your parcel enters Thailand, it's at risk.

I need to send an iPad from my son's home in Melbourne, Australia to Chum Phae, Isaan. Being a desirable item tells me that it's high risk to post. But this is the only way I'm going to get it within the next few months.

I have both a P.O. Box and registered address here.

Anyone have experience and success with a system that is secure?

Thanks in advance.

PS: not sure where this post should live!

Registered post from Australia is secure.

If the item is lost then its insured and the item is trackable.

I suppose the PO box would involve less hands so that may be better than home delivery.

The only items I have lost in the mail from Australia were because local postie guy delivered it to the wrong local address and even some of those I eventually received.

Delivery takes much longer now than it did say a year ago due to the holdup in Bangkok. Small packages are taking 21 days now. Even letters are out to 10 days.

Was in Ubon long term, never had anything of potential value actually arrive from Aus. Anything that looked like it was worth pinching, was. From birthday cards to bank letters, no show. Bills and junk mail always got through, complaints to Thailand post on a regular basis and I was told every time, unless it is EMS, it can not be tracked. Go to a post office in Aus and insist on express post in Australia (track online), then insist on Thai EMS at the same time for the overseas leg. It will cost upwards of forty dollars and there is still no absolute garauntee. I needed to have a valuable document sent over, A4 size paper. I sent it by courier at $50, but it got here.

• Like 1

Was in Ubon long term, never had anything of potential value actually arrive from Aus. Anything that looked like it was worth pinching, was. From birthday cards to bank letters, no show. Bills and junk mail always got through, complaints to Thailand post on a regular basis and I was told every time, unless it is EMS, it can not be tracked. Go to a post office in Aus and insist on express post in Australia (track online), then insist on Thai EMS at the same time for the overseas leg. It will cost upwards of forty dollars and there is still no absolute garauntee. I needed to have a valuable document sent over, A4 size paper. I sent it by courier at $50, but it got here.

That is my experience also. Hell even B-day cards WITHOUT money did not arrive.

I ordered things from China vie eBay .... guess what? They didn't arrive either. So I also feel strongly that once any mail enters Thailand (Land of Scams) it's a gooner.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That is my experience also. Hell even B-day cards WITHOUT money did not arrive.

I ordered things from China vie eBay .... guess what? They didn't arrive either. So I also feel strongly that once any mail enters Thailand (Land of Scams) it's a gooner.

This is also my experience. Even had a courier co. provide door to door service; didn't arrive. Or it gets diverted to the P.O. and when you go to collect they want money to release it.

Ebay is also a gamble, some arrived, some didn't. But what I couldn't comprehend what a delivery time of 2 months from Hong Kong to Chum Phae.

Appears to high risk whatever path you take.

I guess Nuddy is right. Insured registered post from Australia is your answer. The Australian post may not be able to control what happens in Thailand, but at least you get compensated if the thing goes astray.

I am surprised at insured mail getting lost within Thailand. Thai EMS is almost 100% reliable (100% in my experience). Some years ago I knew a guy in Nongkhai who got visas done "unofficially", and he used EMS both for sending the passports and for receiving the cash. No failures. (He's dead now, so it doesn't matter if I mention it!)

• Like 1

I guess Nuddy is right. Insured registered post from Australia is your answer. The Australian post may not be able to control what happens in Thailand, but at least you get compensated if the thing goes astray.

I am surprised at insured mail getting lost within Thailand. Thai EMS is almost 100% reliable (100% in my experience). Some years ago I knew a guy in Nongkhai who got visas done "unofficially", and he used EMS both for sending the passports and for receiving the cash. No failures. (He's dead now, so it doesn't matter if I mention it!)

Totally agree, internal EMS is fast and efficient. International receipts just disappear as they think that we will blame it on the sending country and not on their corrupt service.

• Like 1