Entering on house registration book for first time (Half Thai, born outside Thailand)

Hi Guys

Hoping someone may be able to shed some light on the process of entering on a tabien bahn, the house registration document.

I was born in the UK to a Thai father and British mother. I have come to Thailand but am currently on a tourist visa (with a 1 year extension) in my British PP. I wish to live and work here now so am I very keen to become a fully fledged Thai citizen and obtain an ID card and passport. I have a Thai birth certificate as issued by the Thai embassy in London.

I know in order to request the ID card and passport I must be entered on a house registration book first. My parents live in the UK but my father retains his Thai citizenship, he has passport, ID card and is registered on my aunt's registration book. She is willing to enter me on the same tabien bahn and to go along to the district office in order to do so.

However here's where I have some concerns: previously I went with a cousin to enter on her registration book, at a different district office, as I didn't want to inconvenience my Aunt at the time. However the district officer was not satisfied and refused our request. He insisted that I need to bring my father along and also to have his British marriage certificate translated in Thai and certified by the Thai authorities. He was also insistent that we need a คร.22 (Kor Ror 22) form, at the time neither myself nor my cousin knew exactly what that form actually was. I wonder if it is really this complicated or if we just had an officer in a bad mood that day.

Anyway my parent's have since had their British marriage certificate (with apostille stamp from the FCO), translated and certified by the Thai Embassy in London. They are both now here for two weeks and so I am looking to attempt once again to enter on a house registration book (this time my aunt's).

Before we go once again to the district office I am hoping if anyone can shed some light as to whether everything is in place that could possibly be asked for, or if there could be something missing. Hoping to get everything done as smoothly as possible this time!

At present I have:

• One Thai father, with passport, ID card who is entered on my Aunt's house registration book
  • Aunt who is willing to go to the district office with us to enter on her house registration book
  • My own Thai birth certificate as issued by the Thai embassy in London
  • Parent's marriage certificate apostillised and translated into Thai with certification by the Thai embassy

I still don't have possession of a Kor Ror 22 form. Is this necessary and if so who issues this? Do we need to go to the Foreign Ministry beforehand?

I'll be deeply indebted to anyone who can shed light on these questions.

Many thanks!

Ok thanks for the insight ubonjoe. I am wondering if it's just because I went to a different district office the first time that it caused extra confusion. At the time of applying for my birth certificate at the embassy I gave them the address details of my aunt and this is present on my birth certificate as the house registration address.

It could be the address but that really should not matter.

It might be that they will want your parents to register their marriage at the Amphoe if they have never done it. That would get them a Kor Ror 22. They may accept the certified marriage certificate from the embassy for the registration.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up: I'm now successfully entered on my Aunt's house registration document and have been issued a brand new national ID card. This was all done at the district office, although it took two separate trips as the district office chief had to personally give his all-clear before they would continue with the ID card (he wasn't present the first time). The final process took about an hour and a half and involved a number of different staff checking and asking questions. Everything went smoothly but they were very careful to enter all the details on the various forms (which were then stamped multiple times) not to mention all the photocopies that had to be signed etc.

I also went and applied for a Thai passport at กรมการกงสุล (sorry I'm not sure what it's called in English) which had a massive queue (1000+ people) in front that took about 4 hours to clear, luckily once seen too it took no more than 10minutes to take the photograph, fingerprints etc and pay for everything.

I have a few questions:

1. I presume I still need to report to immigration every 90 days on the UK passport until the next time I leave the country?

2. Now that I have a Thai passport, the next I leave, I need to leave on the UK one but from then on re-enter and exit on the Thai passport right?

3. Military service: although probably exempt for being over 30 I still need to go and report myself right? How long is it safe to leave this?

• Like 1

Glad things all worked out for you.

Until you leave on the UK passport and re-enter the country on your Thai passport you will have to make 90 day reports. You should look into a low cost flight to a nearby country to do an out and back to do a passport swap.

You enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport and enter and leave the UK on your UK passport. Just show both passport to the airline to prove you don't need a visa for either country.

I don't think there is any time period for you to sort out the draft paperwork. You might not even have to do it unless you get a job that requires you to present a document that proves you are cleared of the draft.

If he exits on his UK passport and returns on his Thai passport he will not have the return part of the departure card... What will immigration do?

Nothing. Just tells them he was born overseas and this is his first visit in the Thai passport.

If coming via suvamaphumi, then he can use the electronic gates and no one knows.

• Like 1

Glad things all worked out for you.

Until you leave on the UK passport and re-enter the country on your Thai passport you will have to make 90 day reports. You should look into a low cost flight to a nearby country to do an out and back to do a passport swap.

You enter and leave Thailand on your Thai passport and enter and leave the UK on your UK passport. Just show both passport to the airline to prove you don't need a visa for either country.

I don't think there is any time period for you to sort out the draft paperwork. You might not even have to do it unless you get a job that requires you to present a document that proves you are cleared of the draft.

The only time I needed the draft paperwork was when I applied for my wife's Thai nationality, and when people asked me questions about it on Thai visa.

• Like 1

If he exits on his UK passport and returns on his Thai passport he will not have the return part of the departure card... What will immigration do?

Nothing. Just tells them he was born overseas and this is his first visit in the Thai passport.

If coming via suvamaphumi, then he can use the electronic gates and no one knows.

My wife and I just returned via Swampy and she attempted to go through the electronic gates (she used it to depart.) There was an attendant at the gates and the attendant looked at her passport and sent her to go through the regular line (long by that time.) I watched the gate to see if anyone else got turned away and several did. I do not know why, the lady just said go to line. Electronic gates are not always a good choice it seems.

My wife and I just returned via Swampy and she attempted to go through the electronic gates (she used it to depart.) There was an attendant at the gates and the attendant looked at her passport and sent her to go through the regular line (long by that time.) I watched the gate to see if anyone else got turned away and several did. I do not know why, the lady just said go to line. Electronic gates are not always a good choice it seems.

No idea. I've had the gates not work on me once or twice and had to use the IO. But that was in the early days and they were doing a software upgrade or something.

Either way, for the OP, it won't matter. As an overseas born Thai he needs to enter Thailand 'for the first time' at some point. Either at the gates or with an IO, it shouldn't be an issue.

I would disagree... A Thai entering Thailand (on a Thai passport issued in county) without a re-entry card will have some explaining to do... I would reccomend that when you exit the country show immigration BOTH your passports and ask the officer to stamp a re-entry card for you to put in your Thai passport for your future return...

I would disagree... A Thai entering Thailand (on a Thai passport issued in county) without a re-entry card will have some explaining to do... I would reccomend that when you exit the country show immigration BOTH your passports and ask the officer to stamp a re-entry card for you to put in your Thai passport for your future return...

A what? There is no such thing like a "re-entry card" for Thai people. They need nothing but their Thai passport to leave and enter Thailand.

[EDIT] samran explains better than me. Arrival or departure card. Not re-entry card.

Edited by paz

An overseas born thai citizen isn't going to have ever been to Thailand. Everyone enters for the first time. So you just fill in the arrivals card on your first entry. Plenty of thai citizens born overseas, they have to enter thailand for the fist time as thai citizen at some point. I did once!

When you leave next time you get a fresh departure/arrivals form, and for thai citizens, immigration will staple the arrival card in the passport for your next visit.

Edited by samran

But the OPs passport is not from a foreign Thai consul... It is from Thailand... So an immigration officer may raise an eyebrow by a passport that was issued IN COUNTRY with no arrival card stapled in it or record in computer upon entry to the country ... As I said better to sort the departure/arrival card (or what ever it is called by the purist)... on the way out of Thailand

But the OPs passport is not from a foreign Thai consul... It is from Thailand... So an immigration officer may raise an eyebrow by a passport that was issued IN COUNTRY with no arrival card stapled in it or record in computer upon entry to the country ... As I said better to sort the departure/arrival card (or what ever it is called by the purist)... on the way out of Thailand

All passports are issued in Thailand. They just get sent to the consulate of embassy. My Thai passport which I applied for in melbourne says it was issued in bangkok. It isn't anyway different to a passport I would have gotten if I applied here.

The place of birth of the holder will indicate they are overseas born. The lack of movement records will show the IO this is their first visit.

As said, no big deal.

Edited by samran

Thanks for the advice everyone. Regarding returning to Thailand on the Thai passport for the first time I'm not anticipating a problem but I'll probably check with a friend who works in immigration first just to avoid any nasty surprises. I'm sure worst case I can just show them both passports and explain the Thai one was just issued. Since they knew I already held a British one I don't think it'll be much of a problem.