Thai Student Instructors Wearing Jack Daniels Tee Shirts

NCC1701A

I am going to be vague about the location. There is a big building near my condo. It looks like a school. My Thai girlfriend says it is a "camp" for students. It is right on the beach.

Every month for a few days about 60 young kids between 11 and 16 show up at this "camp". They do all sorts of bonding exercises and fun games. Sometimes the things they do would considered hazing in my country.

Anyway, the other day a new group showed up and the ten instructors were all wearing the same new black tee shirts with Jack Daniels Whiskey logos on them. All brand new, perfectly matched. Big like bottles of Jack. About 60 young children staring at Jack Daniels labels all day.

I thought the military banned alcohol advertising? anyway I thought this was very strange to see, even by Thailand standards.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

From the video I assume that the video director was a Monica Lewinski officionado. Anyway it's a video that has always made me laugh. I remember a Bule guy in Indo giving a presentation in Bahasa Indonesia, when he mixed up a a couple of words and was telling the course group that he had a big cock and they were rolling over laughing...him too when they explained the pronunciation mistake.

In regards to the kids, I'm sure the Jack Daniels Advertising won't have as much of a negative impact on them as a closure due to lack of sponsorship would.

Most Thais are ignorant of what any T-shirt printed in English really says.....and they love to wear them!

I once tried to explain to a friend of my wife that it was not good for her 10 year old daughter to wear a t-shirt that says " I like to make boys happy with my mouth"". It also had a picture of a cute little girl on it with a big smile!

The mother's reply was " I don't care what it says, it is a pretty shirt!

A Jack Daniels t-shirt is pretty harmless compared to this...especially if worn by an adult!

Edited by willyumiii

I just dont think the Thais pay too much attention to content. It's about the look and they probably have no idea what JD even is. On a visit to BK once my wife and I were eating at a restaurant next to a trendy fitness center and saw a lovely hi-so walk in wearing a shirt that said " I F___ on the First Date." I kid you not! She clearly had no idea what it actually said, but it had lots of pretty colors! Lol

I just dont think the Thais pay too much attention to content. It's about the look and they probably have no idea what JD even is. On a visit to BK once my wife and I were eating at a restaurant next to a trendy fitness center and saw a lovely hi-so walk in wearing a shirt that said " I F___ on the First Date." I kid you not! She clearly had no idea what it actually said, but it had lots of pretty colors! Lol

If you think that's funny, you should read some of the expat tattoos (Thai characters) in Pattaya. Both cultures laugh at the other.

Edited by thailiketoo