Appraiser needed for map

jeffandgop

Since you have no reply yet, I will offer the suggestion based on ignorance that you could try the CMU history dept. The only reason I can think of for a map to have any value would be for historical reasons, either old or made by a specific person of interest or both. The Dean should be able to give you further guidance.

As stated in the previous post, CMU is the place to go. The Social Research Institute is where translations of palm-leaf manuscripts and other historical work has been done since it was founded in 1981.

I'm not a dealer in maps or historical manuscripts myself, but I do have an interest in Thai - especially Lanna T'ai - history.

As a graphic artist, perhaps I could offer some comments that may be helpful, if you would provide some information.

What area does the map cover?

Approximately how old is it?

Do you know the provenance of the map?

What condition is it in?

Answers to those questions, and anything else you might add would be appreciated.

If it looks anything like this, then it might.

bYvO3.jpg

But seriously, find a website for map geeks, or history geeks, and post a picture.

There's geek sites for just about anything.

Well I am not a geek about maps but it would prove interesting and maybe get some more suggestions.

CMU would be a great starting point.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Johpa- While I did not find my map specifically on your link I did search for it and found on another website the same map for sale by a specialty old maps seller.

It seems my map, IF genuine, is not worth a lot of money. Here's a picture for you to see..and thanks again, all!!

post-158427-0-68855000-1413586381_thumb.

• Like 1

I have sold a few older maps and got to know that market a little bit. The money is for maps where the demand resides, where the collectors reside, and that is in Europe and North America. Prices for Southeast Asian maps are quite low compared to comparable maps from the two regions mentioned. But if enough Chinese collectors turn their attention towards maps then the Asian maps may begin to appreciate in value.