Thailand agrees to British police help over murders

Lite Beer

It is quite possible that the Brits already have evidence to prove that the suspects waiting trial DID do it. That could also explain why Prayut has agreed to them coming in.

The conversation may not have been as some suggest. If this was the case Mr Prayut already knows he wins back popularity for his transparancy and Mr Cameron gains points for pushing.

Just a thought as none of us have all the facts.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll see if the Brits. will agree with the social-media and how much overwhelming-discrepancies there are in the DNA checks (Thai police had ample time to further set-up the Burmese), CCTV, weapon(s), victims' wounds, treatment (?) of detained-suspects and cell phones. We all know there are other suspects that most likely fit the bill. So far, the Thai police have been ignoring them. Why? Why? Why? If this goes to court as is, the defence (already stated it's a farce) will easily get it dismissed; unless it's a kangaroo court. Now, we'll see how corrupt all are in this matter

All nice and good.. but lets wait what happens. Remember these are people who don't speak Thai, I wonder if they take an independent translator with them.

If they are being stonewalled still nothing will happen.

The British Home Office has a pool of native speaking translators from other countries and who are naturalised British citizens. One of my friends in London who came to the UK from Thailand as a child with her diplomat father is retained on a 'when needed' contract by the Home Office and has helped the British police in cases involving Thai nationals. If a British Embassy employed translator isn't used in this case a Home Office approved one will accompany the police from the UK.
  • Like 2

Yes how nice, you can have it now, after they have stomped all over the crime sean contaminated all the DNA evidence and warned off the killers. Should have invited them day one and kept there traps shut until they had charged someone with the murders.

If this report is true, it appears there may be some divisions forming between the police and the military government as both the Nation and BP report that Somyot will "bar" investigators (in one report) and that allowing foreign investigators to become involved is "tantamount to a breach of Thailand's sovereignty" (in the other report). Pretty strong words. Wondering if Prayut and Co. have decided to break ranks with the RTP to avoid committing political suicide domestically and save what's left of Thailand's reputation internationally?

Yes, it is very interesting.

I guess the General will sit down with Khun Somyot once he gets back and explain why the change of heart, whether it will be a "sorry, I caved in but they have a piece of evidence that proves your investigation result wrong" , or a " what the heck are you doing you moron, the Brits have evidence that the botched things....you're fired", I would be intrigued to know.

The General is going to need the police to help him run the country, whether he needs Somyot I have no idea.

He can`t fire Somyut. He appointed him to be Police Commissioner General on Aug 20th this year.

Why, because of your last sentence. Pol large para-military force, essential to have on board for coup and subsequent restrictions on freedom of speech etc Reward for services rendered? See link.

http://thaitribune.org/en/hot-issue/5886

• Like 1

OH YEAA

This is what we wanted all along, objective reached.

BIG thanks to everyone who made a fuss and helped get the word out.

For once its one up to the good guys. clap2.gif

It's not over till the fat lady sings!

I hope that the Brits will subject the alleged perpetrators AND the Thai Police who conducted the "interrogations" to a bona-fide Lie-Detector for starters. This will give them a very quick & accurate indication of what transpired. Then it is of the utmost importance to verify the integrity of the DNA testing process. After this, we will all know the truth.

coffee1.gif

Thai police having a lie detector used on themselves?

Edited by sweatalot

Genuinely speechless over this ridiculous and indecent comment.

Well if a few on here were to be rendered speechless it would have served its purpose.

You have made some very good and helpful posts on this subject. This one was not.

• Like 1

I think this is a good idea: to make a list of discrepancies for the British police to look into. But we need to find a way to get such a list to the investigators. We can't just rely on hoping that they will read it here on Thai Visa. Can someone find out how people with information / ideas can contact these investigators directly? It would be good if they would set up some kind of "hotline". Just a dedicated email address for the case would be sufficient.

I think you can be fairly sure anything posted on this site is seen by both of the police forces.

And more than likely dismissed as irrelevant, uninformed nonsense most of the time. Don't flatter yourselves by thinking that any authorities anywhere look for, or take advice from, or take any serious notice of what is said here by TV's experts.

Cameron obviously said to Prayuth that the British forensic team has retrieved two sets of Asian DNA from the body of Hannah and have now taken swabs from the parents of the two Burmese lads in custody and there is no match so the game is up..there is no other option for Prayuth now than to let the Brits in and throw the RTP on Kao Tao to the wolves while stating that he was only acting on information given to him by police....looks like Somyot is toast

With you the whole way on this one. I really hadn't thought of that incredibly logical step.

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 1

Genuinely speechless over this ridiculous and indecent comment.

Well if a few on here were to be rendered speechless it would have served its purpose.

You have made some very good and helpful posts on this subject. This one was not.

Well for you then I will apologize and leave it at that.

I think this is a good idea: to make a list of discrepancies for the British police to look into. But we need to find a way to get such a list to the investigators. We can't just rely on hoping that they will read it here on Thai Visa. Can someone find out how people with information / ideas can contact these investigators directly? It would be good if they would set up some kind of "hotline". Just a dedicated email address for the case would be sufficient.

I think you can be fairly sure anything posted on this site is seen by both of the police forces.

And more than likely dismissed as irrelevant, uninformed nonsense most of the time. Don't flatter yourselves by thinking that any authorities anywhere look for, or take advice from, or take any serious notice of what is said here by TV's experts.

laugh.png , so why do you think the Brit cops are now coming to LOS to look at LOS police stuff...?

laugh.png , it's us "experts' (and others) talking don't you think ?

• Like 2

All nice and good.. but lets wait what happens. Remember these are people who don't speak Thai, I wonder if they take an independent translator with them.

If they are being stonewalled still nothing will happen.

Huh? Of course the British detectives will send some of their Thai and Burmese speaking detectives with them. Remember, these are PROFESSIONAL police. Do you really think they will forget about this issue????

How many detectives do you think there are serving in British police forces, that can speak Thai, Burmese, and the dialect of the 2 suspects fluently enough to conduct an investigation and interviews?

Maybe better to use the embassies' translators.

There are some 100%.

Really? You believe there are some British police officers 100% fluent in Thai, some 100% fluent in Burmese and, some 100% fluent in the uncommon dialect spoken by the 2 accused.

Are you Thai?

Huh? Of course the British detectives will send some of their Thai and Burmese speaking detectives with them. Remember, these are PROFESSIONAL police. Do you really think they will forget about this issue????

How many detectives do you think there are serving in British police forces, that can speak Thai, Burmese, and the dialect of the 2 suspects fluently enough to conduct an investigation and interviews?

Maybe better to use the embassies' translators.

There are some 100%.

Really? You believe there are some British police officers 100% fluent in Thai, some 100% fluent in Burmese and, some 100% fluent in the uncommon dialect spoken by the 2 accused.

Are you Thai?

Somebody working for the British Government certainly is. There was a full translation of the FCO statement released in parallel to the English announcement. I doubt they had somebody run down the local Thai restaurant to get it done.

Perhaps some Thai police can be sent to the UK to investigate the Rotherham child abuse cases where lots of evidence appears to have gone missing. Not much sign of the British police arresting the guilty. They definitely need some help.

• Like 1

Knowing the bureaucratic mad Brits, they will no doubt involve as many departments as they can to confuse the whole operation.

Remember Portugal.....and the "help" the British gave in the Maddie affair?

What a right unholy mess that was. Every tosser wanted in on the action and wrecked any chance of a positive outcome. (The Portuguese police didn't help either)

Perhaps some Thai police can be sent to the UK to investigate the Rotherham child abuse cases where lots of evidence appears to have gone missing. Not much sign of the British police arresting the guilty. They definitely need some help.

Eeeeerr, noooooo cash incentive ehhhhh, forget that...coffee1.gif

laugh.png , so why do you think the Brit cops are now coming to LOS to look at LOS police stuff...?

laugh.png , it's us "experts' (and others) talking don't you think ?

It was more likely The Mirror, The Daily Mail, and The Sun

Talking about a stitch up in Thailand, I bet the officers being sent out on this thankless task will think they are being stitched up! They are in a No Win situation. No can speak Thai. No can lead the investigation. No can interfere with the investigation. They are being sent out (and I'm at home in the UK, so this is a UK not Thai perspective) to save face. Not Prayut's face, Cameron's! The fact that securing this agreement, and exactly what was agreed, came as a side discussion with very few witnesses, which is completely against Cameron's "a Photo Op and Sound Byte" at every opportunity reputation, indicates that he wasn't confident of the outcome. That is totally out of character and if our BIB don't come up with the goods, either confirming the guilt of the current suspects or identifying the real culprits (or anything positive in between) he has a lot more than face to lose. Remember he is currently fighting for his political life as Leader of his Party and with 2015 looming and a General Election, as Prime Minister - or both. Pity the poor detectives if they don't deliver.

Personally, I think that on this occasion Prayut has acted more as politician than as a General, not so much by saving face but by sharing the loss of it!

Even in the UK there has been miscarriages of justice particularly in high profile cases like the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 where the police were so eager to get convictions they ignored some contradictory evidence and other evidence was elaborated or even fabricated.

Convicting the wrong people (or even the right people with distorted evidence) only leads to mistrust in the police.

Even in the UK there has been miscarriages of justice particularly in high profile cases like the Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 where the police were so eager to get convictions they ignored some contradictory evidence and other evidence was elaborated or even fabricated.

Convicting the wrong people (or even the right people with distorted evidence) only leads to mistrust in the police.

that was a long time ago. They did have the right people, just went around convicting them the wrong way.

That's another thread though

The UK police are well aware of this site, they will also be aware of the game being played.

Im satisfied that for the moment it looks like DNA will be getting a second look by professionals.

Best news about the case progressing since that tragic day.

Call me ignorant, but isn't it possible that the DNA could have been switched, planted or whatever is needed in order to prove a case???

I'm not suggesting that that has happened, merely that it's possible..... seems to me a bit late in the day to me.

What's the bet the court case will proceed asap so they can convict them before the UK detectives get their visas approved.

UK citizens are members of G7, they are Visa exempt, they do NOT need a Visa for the first 30 days....

This is a step in the right direction, but people are dreaming if they think the dna tests will be confirmed one way or the other with UK involvement. Any samples collected will have been totally corrupted by now, either inadvertantly or on purpose so that the results give the desired outcome. It's been a total cock-up since day 1, and hard to see justice being done now. The Thai police are an embarrassment and make Thailand a laughing stock.