Oscar Pistorius trial: Athlete 'has no money', his lawyer says

Lite Beer

Oscar Pistorius trial: Athlete 'has no money', his lawyer says

The sentencing hearing of Oscar Pistorius has heard that the South African athlete has no money left, as both sides' final arguments were made.

Defence lawyer Barry Roux said Pistorius was both "broke and broken" after the seven-month trial.

Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide last month after shooting dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp last year, but was cleared of murder.

Judge Thokozile Masipa is expected to deliver the sentence on Tuesday.

There is no legal limit on the length of a jail term, but the prosecution has argued for a minimum of 10 years.

Experts say the typical maximum sentence for the crime is around 15 years.

Pistorius' defence team has argued for him to be given community service and house arrest, a suggestion the prosecution said would be "shockingly disproportionate".

Mercy urged
Both defence and prosecution lawyers finished presenting their final arguments before the court was adjourned.

The high-profile trial, which has captured public attention in South Africa and beyond, began in March.

Pistorius sobbed as Mr Roux said the athlete was once an "icon in the eyes of South Africans" and now could not even pay for legal expenses.

"He is not only broke but he is broken," he said.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29656953

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-27

Still got the rights to the inevitable book, must be any number of publishers willing to part with a pretty penny to get his tale of fame to infamy.

I for one, hopes he has plenty of time writing. Can't wait for the final chapters relating to his time in prison.

• Like 2

I have been following this case, and my Hesrt goes out to her family.

He knew what he was doing, he telephoned his ex girlfriend 9 mins before he shot her in the Bathroom ??

And Why would you lock the bathroom door in your partners house, I think she was trying to get away from him, he sounds a right spoilt brat, another one of his ex girlfriends has said, he was mega childish and spoilt and was always shooting his gun off at something.

That poor poor girl. Is now dead, she was stunning, no one deserves that....

He deserves all he gets , lock him up and throw away the key...

As for prison I am sure he will go down a treat with the other inmates, soap at the ready...

Once again, her family are going through living hell coz of him.....

• Like 1

read somewhere else, Pistorius gave alot of money to the Steenkamp family so they wouldn't press for a harsh prison sentence, so there's where part of his money went.. kinda the same type of thing that happens here, rich people commit murder or careless 'manslaughter' , they then pay the victims family and some public officials and then the case goes away or they get a suspended sentence.

"Pistorius was both "broke and broken" after the seven-month trial."

I'm sure his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp would sympathize with him IF SHE WERE STILL ALIVE.

Pistorius should go to a Thai jail where he will be watched for possible "suicide."

• Like 1

read somewhere else, Pistorius gave alot of money to the Steenkamp family so they wouldn't press for a harsh prison sentence, so there's where part of his money went.. kinda the same type of thing that happens here, rich people commit murder or careless 'manslaughter' , they then pay the victims family and some public officials and then the case goes away or they get a suspended sentence.

Offered.... not accepted. Proceeds from a car sale; I daresay they have a more lucrative book deal of their own lined up.

• Like 1

Well now ,it's the same all over the world ,the lawyers say that you have a good chance of winning,,,,Than they tear you a second and third A hole than you wont have any money left,,,,,,,You are only innocent until you run out of money for your lawyers,,,,,after that your'e a goner.

Okay maybe he's guilty,,,,maybe not,,,,

Support your comment with some facts>>>>>>Pistorius gave alot of money to the Steenkamp family so they wouldn't press for a harsh prison sentence

I'm a South African,I haven't really followed the trial, I've read a bit here, heard a bit there and must admit that I'm one of those that believes that he is guilty and if he really is guilty I hope he gets what he deserves, but as far as the lawyers and advocates goes, as long as there is money, you've always "got a chance" but when that runs out, so does your defense.

I believe that there is a special place in hell for these bastards.

I'd prefer my daughter to be a whore than a lawyer (fortunately she's neither). They are scum that wears a suit and let me tell you that many doctors aren't far behind. A doctor will treat you if and while you've got money.

Two professions I have no time for.

But getting back to the topic, if he really is guilty I hope he gets a harsh sentence and he deserves to be broke (even though the lawyers got his money) as he robbed someone of their life and left the family with so much pain. If indeed he is innocent than I hope justice is done.

I can't believe I wrote so much on a subject I know so little just to share my hate for lawyers and doctors.