One district one scholarship project for Thai rice farmers' children

webfact

One district one scholarship project for rice farmers’ children

14-10-2557-11-28-551-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The government is to introduce the one district one scholarship project to provide greater educational opportunities to rice farmers’ children so that they can study in universities and have wider career choices, said Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yutthawong today.

He pointed out that more and more machinery would be brought in to replace labour in the farming sector and hence it was necessary that farming labour would be trained in other skills and the children be given more educational opportunities to shift to other occupations or professions.

No details about the one district one scholarship project are available.

Regarding the sale of alcoholic drinks near educational institutes, Mr Yongyuth said that crackdown on the sale at shops or stalls was not the right answer to address the problem at its root cause.

(Photo : Thai PBS File)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-district-one-scholarship-project-rice-farmers-children/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-20

Definatley a program with merit. My main concer though is ....... Will there be some sort of contract so that the student will, with degree in hand, work in the region he or she originates from for a protracted period of time? Applying their knowledge for the better of rural Thailand. Or will they be allowed to run off with their free education and work in Bangkok for the good of nobody but themselves ?

• Like 2

Definatley a program with merit. My main concer though is ....... Will there be some sort of contract so that the student will, with degree in hand, work in the region he or she originates from for a protracted period of time? Applying their knowledge for the better of rural Thailand. Or will they be allowed to run off with their free education and work in Bangkok for the good of nobody but themselves ?

Why such a crime if they get a good degree and decide to work in Bangkok? This could still be good for Thailand... and maybe they could make more money to send back to their family than working nearer to home.

Why such a crime if they get a good degree and decide to work in Bangkok? This could still be good for Thailand... and maybe they could make more money to send back to their family than working nearer to home.

They come from a farming background. I guess Agriculture in Thailand needs them is all I am saying. Put something back into the country.

Isnt it wonderful how the same knockers will find something wrong with everything.

Great that the brightest kids from farming families will be given a chance to farther their education with scholarships, they certainly need it now that their families are poorer and deeper in debt than they have ever been.

Should also make all the kids strive to be the ones chosen thereby helping to raise the general education level in rural areas.

Why didn't someone think of it before ?

• Like 1

Another populist policy worthy of Thaksin. Bring it on! The ultimate test will be if the farmers actually feel a benefit at some point, as they did with some of Thaksin's policies. I don't wish the Great and Popular General bad luck, I just hope he knows how to make people happy. Really. Happy.

• Like 1

Another populist policy worthy of Thaksin. Bring it on! The ultimate test will be if the farmers actually feel a benefit at some point, as they did with some of Thaksin's policies. I don't wish the Great and Popular General bad luck, I just hope he knows how to make people happy. Really. Happy.

Thaksin upset you does he???