AirAsia kicks man off flight for carry-on rage (VIDEO)

webfact

I've got a ripstop nylon carryon that always fits through their checking device. Flying AirAsia a couple of years ago, they had set up a scale in the gate area and were weighing each carryon bag. It weighed just over 13 kgs. The attendant asked if I had a camera or computer. Yes, I replied, unzipping the bag, and a CPAP machine. She evidently knew what that was, because she said, go on through, sir. I'd guess that one out of every four people had to check an extra bag. Haven't seen that done since, though.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love how he's trying to document things, asking the staff their names. I'm not sure why idiots who break the rules and get caught out make the biggest scenes.

It's times like this when airport cops with stun guns are your best friends.

It is quite possible that his bag was fine - at the check-in. Between the check-in and getting on the plane he could have easily added a lot of weight to it. People do that all the time.

Yup, I've seen family members waiting in the background ready to stuff the flight case of the departing passenger.

Still, if they want to spot check they should weigh the bag at the departure gate, not on the aircraft.

I travel with a laptop bag that weighs in at over 13 kilo, the laptop and power brick alone weigh over 7 I was challenged once and when I removed the laptop and power supply they realised I could never get it below 7kilo and there was no way the laptop was going into checked baggage so they abandoned any challenge they were thinking, I travel light no other bags or luggage only - happened once in over 60 flights

If a bag fits in the overhead locker what's the problem = I've seen people boarding flights with two small cases and a pile of other %%%%% unchallenged

In saying that this guy should have been arrested and thrown off the plane and banned from travel - a rude mouth piece

Actually, personal items such as purse, identity and other official papers, camera, laptop in its small/reasonalbe laptop bag and accessories and reasonable reading material are excluded from the weight and DO NOT COUNT towards the carry-on weight limit on most airlines.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I feel sorry for the AirAsia girl / girls having to deal with him alone they should have strong security to help them, what if he had attacked them? They should have had real Airport police drag him off immediately, less distress to other passengers.

Air Asia girls are one of the hottest I've seen. Especially the red brings out all the flavors w00t.gif Model like hair, model like body, tight uniform, red lipsticks.

they need a air marshal on random flights like they do in the states. all of them are packing heat & tasers. in 2 minutes you will be tased & bum rushed off the plane. straped into a weel chair & moved to god only knows where. oh also the union fought for & won the right for someone on the flight deck to be packing heat. on a ual flight outta chicago the other passengers would of bit#h slapped him off the plane :-)

Why don't airlines weigh the whole travelling unit::: Passenger + luggage ?

Surely, it's all about the maximum payload for the aircraft. Or is it about finding ways to maximise revenue ?

Of course, there are safety reasons for having maximum size and weight for bags going into overhead lockers, and that is a rule the ground staff should enforce.

Why don't airlines weigh the whole travelling unit::: Passenger + luggage ?

Surely, it's all about the maximum payload for the aircraft. Or is it about finding ways to maximise revenue ?

Of course, there are safety reasons for having maximum size and weight for bags going into overhead lockers, and that is a rule the ground staff should enforce.

Don't even go there, I'll be down to one pair of socks!

• Like 1

Three hundred passengers, each carrying in excess of seven kilos onboard a flight, might well impact on the fuel consumption of the plane, but hardly on the well-being of the passengers.

Luggage size, on the other hand, does impact on the comfort of other passengers, and nothing irritates more than people boarding with an obvious mass excess of baggage, and flight attendants looking for space to accommodate the extra in other seating lockers, instead of telling them - at boarding point - that, no, they can't take it aboard.

I have a friend who works in the call center for an unmentioned airline based in Thailand. He says that they have to spend so much time with the customers who want extras on their flights, whether is is something special to eat or access to the lounge on the cheapest coach ticket. He says the farangs are generally pleasant to deal with but the Thais try for everything imaginable, don't listen to him when he tries to confirm their booking. The stories go on and on.

The bag weighing process should be done at the checking stage not the boarding stage. This is an airline scam. I never carry cargo luggage just 'carry on.' So my total weight is less than most peoples combined luggage. Anyway, if they want to be fair they should weigh people as well as their bags.

As I understood it from the Thai press, he had been told at check in it was overweight but ignored it and took it on anyway. He also had a friend with him who did the same.

The bag weighing process should be done at the checking stage not the boarding stage. This is an airline scam. I never carry cargo luggage just 'carry on.' So my total weight is less than most peoples combined luggage. Anyway, if they want to be fair they should weigh people as well as their bags.

The problem is that the world over (so not just a Thailand problem), some travellers never go near the check-in desk with their large carry on bags, they are carefully parked with someone else, out of the way.

I will agree that the Boarding Gate is the better place for such a check, rather than on the plane.

Either way, LCC travellers pay a (supposedly) low fee for the flight and if they want to take luggage, then they pay extra.

I do agree with previous comments that 'inconsistency in the application of the rules' leads to problems.

I think they were 100% right to throw this moron off the flight, I just wish they had expedited it rather than let him rant for so long.

No , they shouldnt get away with it.

But people expect to be told at checkin. They then have a choice of discarding a few things or paying extra. When they are on the plane, their choice is removed, and they are forced to pay. I'm sure the airline is aware of this and that's why they do it. That guy should sue their a---

Suing? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Are the signs not big enough?

Maybe you should go to SpecSavers before you fly next time.

Perhaps you should read the AirAsia website...

"

What are the rules for hand carried baggage on board?
You are allowed one piece of cabin baggage of up to 7kg and/or 1 laptop bag or 1 handbag onboard, each of which should not exceed the size dimensions. Our overhead compartments in the aircraft cabin are built to hold a certain size and weight of baggage. Anything exceeding these dimensions put our guests at risk of injury from falling objects should there be turbulence mid-air.

Size Dimensions: Cabin baggage should not exceed dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm.

Weight: Cabin baggage must not weigh more than 7kg

Such baggage should also fit under the seat in front of you or in the overhead compartment in the cabin. The approved cabin baggage must be tagged with a cabin bag tag.

You are also allowed to bring along your musical instrument onboard instead of a laptop or handbag, provided it does not exceed the approved weight and size.

If your musical instrument is larger than the stated dimensions we would advise you to buy another seat to safeguard against potential damage in the cargo hold.

"

Very misleading information indeed! The green text does that relate to each piece or in total?

Nothing confusing about that <and english is not even my native language>

It says clearly:

ONE piece of cabin baggage and/or 1 laptop bag up to 7kg

Size Dimentions: Cabin baggage should not exceed dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm.

Weight: Cabin baggage must not weigh more than 7kg

Musical instrument onboard instead of a laptop and/or handbag, provided it does not exceed the approved weight and size.

Very misleading information indeed! The green text does that relate to each piece or in total?

Now you really wonder, what

"Cabin Baggage up to or Cabin Baggage not exceeding"

could mean? crazy.gif

Several months ago Air Asia tried to make me pay 1200 Baht for a carry on bag that was 5 kilos over the 7 kilo limit. That was bad enough - but then insisted I had to check it - not carry on... I said no - my computer and valuable documents are in that bag and I will not let it be checked ... the exact purpose I have it for... She would not relent on the checking of the bag. So I demanded a supervisor. She came - we went though the whole thing again. I told them that if 7 Kilos were allowed and free what is the reason I must pay for 12 kilos? No logical answer... I shouldn't have - but I wasn't on an aircraft - so I made a fuss about Baht and Farang ... The supervisor said - Okay -okay -okay - pay 300 Baht and we will special tag it and you must give it to the flight attendant for special storage up front in the plane. i said okay - I hurried to the gate - almost didn't make it... And while boarding I handed the bag to a flight attendant - pointing to the special tag --- she wouldn't take it and said - store it over my seat... WOW!

Oh I forgot --- to solve the problem earlier... I said - then let me go over to that shop over there and buy a large handbag - carry all looking thing and will reduce my carry on bag to 7 kilo and have a Personal Bag with the rest - which is allowed on Air Asia and most other air lines .. She said - NO! That is when I began my fussing about Baht and Farangs...

Most airlines (average) - Domestic flights - One checked bag of about 20 kilos, One carry on bag for overhead 7 kilos ... And a personal bag ...big hand bag often for ladies, small backpacks, and laptop bags are all general seen as 'Personal Bags' ... I should have made sure I had a personal bag which I most often use ... but didn't that time.

are you from the UK by any chance ? .......coffee1.gif

Im from the Uk but I get 64 kilo allowance and a Mercedes limousine picks me up takes me to and from the airport, I just dont understand it???...............laugh.png

So what's your point? Are you suggesting you should be treated differently to others? No wonder farangs are thought of differently when there are people like you carrying on about minor matters. You were over the limit so if you don't want to be charged a penalty fee, adhere to the limit allowed. Didn't have time to get a personal bag, no but you had time to carry on like a turkey and then offered to go and get one. Give me a break please and if this is all you have to complain about then your life must be one that would not be desired by others.

Let's be quite candid about this. The system is seriously flawed when an obese man over 6ft carries a small bag and a small petite person is overweight by a few kilos. It's time to overhaul and harmonise these rules as they do not serve the purpose of intent. It would be better to have an overall weight to include passenger and luggage. This has already started a few years ago on charter flights I've been on. It would be much easier and fairer.

It has been discussed many times over many years in the industry.

The problem is if big and fat people are singled out to pay more at check in, you are getting very close to discrimination issues, which is a no no.

Having been in the industry for many years, I do however agree. Make a total weight and pay for that if possible, it would be fair.

The biggest problem however would be, what is the price for the ticket?

Different prices for different weight groups? Can you book and pay that on line?

It will make even longer queues in the airports if everyone has to be weighted with luggage and carry on at check in.

It would however open up for possible high records in total weights to be set in each airport.

It's working in Samoa!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10127347/Samoa-Air-introduces-XL-class-for-larger-passengers.html

Samoa airlines has 3 aircraft totally flying to 4 destinations.

One type carries 9 pax the other a cessna 172 carries 3 pax.

With that size of operations I think they can handle it.

But I am not sure as the CEO says, that the bigger airlines will follow his way of business.

Just my 5 cents.

what does samoa have to do with the current topic?

Rules are quite simple, and if a passenger does not comply the airline needs to take action. I for one make sure my carry on is within limits. What I hate is when others obviously exceed limits, are allowed boarding with oversized /overweight luggage and then take up all the overhead bin space.

I don't think it is right to charge passengers by size/ weight. Next you know is shoe size being used for tax purpose....

One final comment regarding space in aircraft. If you transport your dog, there are rules for cage size etc. There are no rules for humans. It seems we can be cramped into the smallest possible seats, without any leg room for long periods.

• Like 1

Several months ago Air Asia tried to make me pay 1200 Baht for a carry on bag that was 5 kilos over the 7 kilo limit. That was bad enough - but then insisted I had to check it - not carry on... I said no - my computer and valuable documents are in that bag and I will not let it be checked ... the exact purpose I have it for... She would not relent on the checking of the bag. So I demanded a supervisor. She came - we went though the whole thing again. I told them that if 7 Kilos were allowed and free what is the reason I must pay for 12 kilos? No logical answer... I shouldn't have - but I wasn't on an aircraft - so I made a fuss about Baht and Farang ... The supervisor said - Okay -okay -okay - pay 300 Baht and we will special tag it and you must give it to the flight attendant for special storage up front in the plane. i said okay - I hurried to the gate - almost didn't make it... And while boarding I handed the bag to a flight attendant - pointing to the special tag --- she wouldn't take it and said - store it over my seat... WOW!

Oh I forgot --- to solve the problem earlier... I said - then let me go over to that shop over there and buy a large handbag - carry all looking thing and will reduce my carry on bag to 7 kilo and have a Personal Bag with the rest - which is allowed on Air Asia and most other air lines .. She said - NO! That is when I began my fussing about Baht and Farangs...

Most airlines (average) - Domestic flights - One checked bag of about 20 kilos, One carry on bag for overhead 7 kilos ... And a personal bag ...big hand bag often for ladies, small backpacks, and laptop bags are all general seen as 'Personal Bags' ... I should have made sure I had a personal bag which I most often use ... but didn't that time.

are you from the UK by any chance ? .......coffee1.gif

Im from the Uk but I get 64 kilo allowance and a Mercedes limousine picks me up takes me to and from the airport, I just dont understand it???...............laugh.png

So what's your point? Are you suggesting you should be treated differently to others? No wonder farangs are thought of differently when there are people like you carrying on about minor matters. You were over the limit so if you don't want to be charged a penalty fee, adhere to the limit allowed. Didn't have time to get a personal bag, no but you had time to carry on like a turkey and then offered to go and get one. Give me a break please and if this is all you have to complain about then your life must be one that would not be desired by others.

I'd say one aspect is fairly obvious......the staff hae no idea what they are doing....they simply aren't properly trained to handle these situations and with no common approach end up with inconsistencies and angry passengers.

They would rather delay a wholeflight to quibble about a few baht than see the operation run smoothly.

In the OP how on earth did the man get as far as the plane????????

Just a few points from the perspective of a former airline inspector and now consultant.

(1) The airline has rules that it must comply with or they get in the proverbial. The weight limitation on carry on baggage is there primarily because of the certification standards of the aircraft and the ability of overhead locker to stay closed and not release missles onto the heads and necks of passengers should the aircraft encounter turbulence. Also, one of the main reasons flight attendantsgive the job away is through injury cause by having to heft heavy bags into overhead lockers when punters are too lazy or stupid to find a spot for it. You wouldn't like to be delayed because the flight attendants are still up trying to make the jig saw puzzle fit.

(2) The situation should not get to this point as all passengers should check their carry on bags in the test cell at the boarding gate. Hardly any do. The gate staff should do a look around but in the interest of keeping your fares down they are usually on minimum staffing and rely on a bit of honesty. Passengers, especially on low cost carriers where they might be required to pay extra for checked baggage are known to hand the oversize overweight bags to a relative or friend to avoid being caught out at check in. Mobile/internet check in just makes that easier

(3) The flight attendants are trained in "verbal Judo" to try and de-escalate the situation when confronted with an unruly passenger. The last thing you want is having to get the pilots out there adding testosterone to the situation when they have a rather important part of the flight to continue with i.e. pre-takeoff preparation. Cowardly ? no just trying to keep you safe.

Those girls did a great job dealing with that dick.

Thank you. finally, a frank honest and open insight into a matter that others have gone overboard about in trying to blame the airline. Do they think this person is innocent and the airline and staff are entirely to blame. I speak and understand Thai and agree that the airline staff, women, were trying to defuse the situation, not escalate it. They did a marvellous job by keeping the verbal abuse directed at them and not to other passengers until Police arrived and removed this idiot. Sure, the plane was delayed but I think the passengers would rather it be delayed then for it to take off with this person still on board and at some time later start carrying on again like a turkey.

• Like 1

The airline allowed the man on board the plane - they mishandled it. They also took on a "jobsworth" stance which exacerbated the situation. The airline failed to deal with this problem in time and allowed it to escalate - typical Air Asia.....and the Thai aversion to confrontation until it is too late - the result a delay i the flight - and as anyone know that impinges on subsequent flights down the line

Thai men have a penchant toward "argumentative" shouting (to get their way), especially when dealing with women. That childish (I refuse to be wrong, or held accountable) face saving behavior is integral with Thai culture.

Definitely, the passenger was a moron, but the Flight Service Attendants (had they been properly trained), could have handled that scenario, quickly, quietly and decisively, without all the talk.

Plus, had that scenario taken place, in the US, then that passenger would have spent the next 12-hours of his life, in TSA detentive custody. Just for the "hell" of it, with his name, and behavior being documented in a nationwide database. LOS,.ya gotta luv itcoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

Yet again Air Asia manages to mis-handle a situation with a passenger.

Personally, I dislike AirAsia, but as an air carrier, safety regulations, are to be followed to the letter. Had the AirAsia attendants allowed that passenger to remain on-board that aircraft, for any placated reason, then that action would have definitely been the mis-management (as you put it), on their part,wai2.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 2

well the only noise i make when lifting my 12 kgs into the overhead locker is a muffled grunt as i hoist that bag, and jacket with the pockets rammed full of heavy bits up there. go weigh yourself before having a go at me cos me and my extra kilos still weigh a lot less than a lot of lardarses on aircraft seats today. im 44kg lighter than my sister in law!

Edited by tomyumchai

I would probably do exactly the same as this guy. I take a domestic flight every week, many people take oversized and overweight luggage on the plane. I agree the airlines should check each handcarry lugage but they don't. Picking out one guy is just shameful and for sure an insult to that man.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

All joking aside, this is a major safety issue.

What do you think the original 10kg max cabin baggage rule was for?

Forget about what airline & what class of travel, as I have experienced in a modern jetliner massive turbulence where not only

3 cabin crew bounced off the ceiling (2 concussed) but overhead baggage flying around the cabin & I don't want your 20+ kilos

landing on my head ,thankyou.

Also, most people would have no idea of the G forces involved with all that weight overhead say in the event of an aborted takeoff.

Oversize, overweight, CHECK IT IN

• Like 2

Forget about what airline & what class of travel, as I have experienced in a modern jetliner massive turbulence where not only

3 cabin crew bounced off the ceiling (2 concussed) but overhead baggage flying around the cabin & I don't want your 20+ kilos

Also, most people would have no idea of the G forces involved with all that weight overhead say in the event of an aborted takeoff.

i totally agree with you, but picking out one guy is not correct. If they wanted to charge him 900thb overweight ( which i agree on) they should have done it with all carry on lugage. And indeed heavy lugage is very unsafe and gives you an idea how some airlines neglect standard aviation rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

unfortunately this seems to have been applied inconsistently in the is case ....... and the customer was allowed on the plane too?