Australian man murdered execution style in Bali

webfact

Body of murdered Australian Robert Kelvin Ellis found in Bali rice field, with throat cut, hands and feet tied

SYDNEY: -- AN Australian Robert Kelvin Ellis has been found murdered execution style in Bali, with his throat cut, his body wrapped in plastic and hands and feet tied.

Ellis, 60. was found about 8am (11am AEST) by farmer Putu Giri Susena in a ditch in a paddy field in Sedang Village in the Abiansemal subdistrict of Badung Regency in Bali.

“We have identified the victim. He is an Australian, who lives in a villa in Sanur,” said police investigator Wisnu Wardana.

“When found the corpse was wrapped in plastic with a bed cover over the body. The hands and feet were tied up.

“We alleged that there was physical violence to the victim.”

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/body-of-murdered-australian-robert-kelvin-ellis-found-in-bali-rice-field-with-throat-cut-hands-and-feet-tied/story-fnh81fz8-1227097757135

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-10-21

Charming. For those that have lived in the region, is Thailand and safer / more dangerous than Indonesia, Vietnam etc?

I have lived in Indo for some time, and Thailand. I am familiar with both. There are rarely physical attacks on Bule (farang) that i know of, excepting of course terrorism attacks. If I had to say I would state per westerner present, Thailand is safer. Others may have a different take.

Edited by arjunadawn

Charming. For those that have lived in the region, is Thailand and safer / more dangerous than Indonesia, Vietnam etc?

I have lived in Indo for some time, and Thailand. I am familiar with both. There are rarely physical attacks on Bule (farang) that i know of, excepting of course terrorism attacks. If I had to say I would state per westerner present, Thailand is safer. Others may have a different take.

The Australian media, particularly the tabloid stuff like 60 Minutes, have had a definite agenda when reporting on Bali since the first Bali bombing and it can best be summarised as 'Paradise Lost'. The Corby circus put a lot of reporters on the ground and they gobbled up tales of rampant corruption and nightclub violence - for me it's all academic as I know I'd rather run naked down Walking St than set foot on the streets of Kuta again. Statistically, more Australians die in Thailand than any other overseas destination each year, but I still feel safer in Pattaya at 2am than I did in Kuta at any hour of the day.

• Like 1

The Australian media, particularly the tabloid stuff like 60 Minutes, have had a definite agenda when reporting on Bali since the first Bali bombing and it can best be summarised as 'Paradise Lost'. The Corby circus put a lot of reporters on the ground and they gobbled up tales of rampant corruption and nightclub violence - for me it's all academic as I know I'd rather run naked down Walking St than set foot on the streets of Kuta again. Statistically, more Australians die in Thailand than any other overseas destination each year, but I still feel safer in Pattaya at 2am than I did in Kuta at any hour of the day.

Can you elaborate on who are the dangerous people in Kuta?

Just curious...coz I always considered Indo men to be harmless....except the stocky ones with the baseball caps.bah.gif

It is my guesstimation that Thailand has more western visitors than Indo. Not sure why i think that but I do. My comment was porportional to the sheer amount of visitor I felt Thailand was safer. The numbers of bad things happening might be greater, but so too is the number of visitors- by my thinking, not stats.

I am keenly aware of the sensationalizing the media spins on Indo, etc. In fact, I have a particular connection to Bali. The Bali (and other Indo Units) Detachment 88 are my students, as well as their commander. I first went there following the first Bali bombing. It is perhaps this relationship that suggests to me Indo would be, if needed to measure, more dangerous. It is all mind talk in any event; I really dont know. For the most part I find that aware, perceptive, smart people who do not appear "soft" are mostly safe in both countries. (PS: I did not personally like Bali and definetely not Kuta beach).

How is it "execution style"? Was there a drum roll? Just sounds like a murder to me.

I have chatted about this with a Thai Police and his conclusion is that the guy committed suicide.

The tied hands and feets are a clear indication to him that this is case of suicide.

• Like 1

Both Chooka and the Stuttering Parrot are correct re the deceased being British and the wife admitting to hiring four hitmen. Having lived in both Indonesia and Thailand, I personally find them much safer than the streets in my place of birth-Australia.

• Like 2

I lived in Ubud, Bali before moving to Thailand. Always felt safe there. The village structure has it's own form of internal policing. Problem is with places like Kuta there is little to no village structure, so crime is more common. Haven't been back for some years, so things may have gotten worse. Prostitution and drugs way up from when I first went to Kuta in 82.

Bali had 3.3 million tourists in 2013 with a population of around 4.2 million. If Thailand had those sorts of numbers they'd have around 50 million tourists per year. 2013 had about 27 million.

• Like 1

Wife admits ordering killing of Briton on Bali: police

DENPASAR, Indonesia, Oct 22, 2014 (AFP) - The wife of a British man found with his throat slashed and dumped in a ditch on Indonesia's resort island of Bali has admitted ordering the killing, police said Wednesday.

Robert Ellis, 60, who was also an Australian passport holder, was killed on instructions from his Indonesian wife, they said, with one suspected motive being money.

Residents found the decomposing body of Ellis, who had lived on Bali for several years, early Tuesday dumped next to a paddy field, wrapped up in plastic and blankets.

The wife, Julaikah Noor Ellis, went to the police to report her husband missing soon after the body was found, but she was later detained and named a suspect in the case.

"Our suspicion towards the wife of the victim was first aroused when some of the victim’s friends said there have been problems between the couple for a while," detective Wisnu Wardana said.

"After talking to her slowly and kindly for a while, she finally admitted it."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Wife-admits-ordering-killing-of-Briton-on-Bali-pol-30246022.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-10-22

I personally find them much safer than the streets in my place of birth-Australia.

Interesting observation. I have spend quite a bit of time in OZ myself. The only thing I worry about whilst there is all the alcohol fuelled violent street / pub brawls. But as far as murder is concerned, IMO it fails in comparison to the amount of homicide going on in Thailand and Indonesia. The incidence of foreigners getting murdered by known associates for financial gain in Thailand must be fairly high. The US is another country where I would say that murder for financial gain once again would be high.

• Like 1

I personally find them much safer than the streets in my place of birth-Australia.

Interesting observation. I have spend quite a bit of time in OZ myself. The only thing I worry about whilst there is all the alcohol fuelled violent street / pub brawls. But as far as murder is concerned, IMO it fails in comparison to the amount of homicide going on in Thailand and Indonesia. The incidence of foreigners getting murdered by known associates for financial gain in Thailand must be fairly high. The US is another country where I would say that murder for financial gain once again would be high.

Sydney and Melbourne have both had outbreaks of gang warfare over the years but it's rarely targeted at innocent bystanders - the people involved dont have any particular qualms about hurting others but they usually have a specific house in mind when they start shooting. The media cant get enough of outlaw bikers - or 'bikies' as they are known in Oz - and the politicians have gone into kneejerk mode in several states. Basically it's the same as anywhere - drugs attract criminals and criminals use violence to get what they want, but for me the biggest change has been the random drunken assaults that can happen in almost any town from one side of Oz to the other and its one of the reasons I dont like Kuta - too many young Aussies hellbent on partying themselves into a coma. We've all been there but I grew up in Sydney and survived the experience - we didnt need to take knives with us on the train trip into the City and even in the Cross most people were there for a good time. Whatever the cultural change was, I still feel a lot safer well away from groups of young Aussies on the turps and I apply the same logic to young Thai or Indo guys throwing down whatever the local hooch happens to be - all part of making it to the grand old age of 55.

Apart from all Worldwide has said, carjacking is another thing to add to the list. The use of ICE has lead to a lot more violence, and domestic violence has recently resulted in deaths of both adults and kids. It may seem like I am painting a bleak picture of Australia, but it is not the once happy go lucky place it used to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Murder by numbers

Looking at these numbers, Thailand and USA are similar ranked, 5 killings per 100.000 inhabitants.,

Vietnam a little better, 3+

and Indonesia, much better , same middle European countries, less than <1 killing p. 100.000 inhabitants.. whistling.gif

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

I wonder if those figures include summary executions carried out by the Indonesian military in Aceh, West Papua and East Timor over several decades, or the bodies of villagers who've fallen foul of illegal logging operations and other criminal enterprises in rural Indonesia ? On my last visit to Jakarta, 3 guys were stabbed to death in a single nightclub incident - we're kiddng ourselves if we think a country with so many poor doesnt have problems with violent crime. How many countries dont ask questions when a General leaves the military with wealth and power well beyond his pay grade ? I've met some wonderful Indonesians but they all know that their country faces some serious problems just sustaining it's population - very interesting times ahead for SEA's largest economy.

• Like 1

It is a lot safer. It is just that in Thailand we get a lot of farongs who have never really traveled out side of their home country and Thailand. They are quite amusing to watch. Most of them do not realize that Thailand is corrupt but not as much as these other countries mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Murder by numbers

Looking at these numbers, Thailand and USA are similar ranked, 5 killings per 100.000 inhabitants.,

Vietnam a little better, 3+

and Indonesia, much better , same middle European countries, less than <1 killing p. 100.000 inhabitants.. whistling.gif

I was thinking in terms of expats/tourists. Philippines seems to have a lot of murdered tourists.

• Like 1