webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ginjag it's Martial not Marshall 55555 biggrin.png

In before the grammar police correct you!!

It could be Sheriff of Nottingham or Texas Ranger Law (joke) it still isn't the reason.

Not being able to keep a lid on 'bad stuff' any longer, is the reason.

Even if the entire internet was shut down this second, Thailand's thin veneer of being a nice place to visit is gone.

• Like 1

Martial law is the least of their problems. Let's be honest... if you take away the sex trade a vast majority of the expats would pack up and leave... yes it's a sad fact that Thais covet nothing but money and the expats covet easy sex.

Change... oh how you all talk about wanting things to change and yet few if any won't leave; you'd rather have something to piss and moan about on your bar stools. Who's worse Thais or Expats? The Thais believe that this is Thailand and is the greatest nation on earth and cannot be affected by outside influence. The expats talk about all the social ills and yet remain happy to stay and fuel the issues with their money.

I wonder what it would take for the expat community to finally grow a pair and do what is needed... leave.

We grew a pair and left. That's why we're here. What's the difference between sitting on a bar stool in your home country and bitching, and doing it in Thailand?

Besides that, expats are usually here to work. Why would I leave my family and my business if the sex trade was removed?

Is that why you're here? For the sex trade?

Martial law is the least of their problems. Let's be honest... if you take away the sex trade a vast majority of the expats would pack up and leave... yes it's a sad fact that Thais covet nothing but money and the expats covet easy sex.

Change... oh how you all talk about wanting things to change and yet few if any won't leave; you'd rather have something to piss and moan about on your bar stools. Who's worse Thais or Expats? The Thais believe that this is Thailand and is the greatest nation on earth and cannot be affected by outside influence. The expats talk about all the social ills and yet remain happy to stay and fuel the issues with their money.

I wonder what it would take for the expat community to finally grow a pair and do what is needed... leave.

We grew a pair and left. That's why we're here. What's the difference between sitting on a bar stool in your home country and bitching, and doing it in Thailand?

Besides that, expats are usually here to work. Why would I leave my family and my business if the sex trade was removed?

Is that why you're here? For the sex trade?

"Is that why you're here? For the sex trade?" - Absolutely (but don't tell my wife).

There are 2 rules of successful marketing:

Rule 1: Give the customers what they want; if you own a shoe store - sells shoes that the customers want; if you run a country and want to attract tourists - give the tourists what they want.

Rule 2: If you want to give the customers what you think they should have rather than what they want - see Rule 1.

Do you really want to increase tourism? Then legalize prostitution and allow public nudity - duh.

Do you really want to see fat farangs walking around nude? Good way to scare off everyone, not just the tourists.

Do you really think I was referring to fat farangs?

It doesn't matter who you were referring to. It matters who would "take advantage" of it.

"Who you were referring to" would be more properly stated as "to whom you were referring". Prepositions shouldn't be used to end either phrases or sentences. Your mother and 9th grade english teacher would not be proud. wai2.gif

How about "who were you referring to, a$$h0le?"

Does that work better for you?

Edited by Eliot Rosewater
  • Like 1

I think the TAT make a big mistake. It is easy to say that the general and the with brought dictatorship is the center of all evil.

Thailand lost its glance as holiday paradise more through all the scamming, cheating, insafety and lies that tourist got from the moment they step out of their plane. An other reason, in my opinion is that the tourists like to see something new. Temples, elephants and tiger zoos for the last 20 years make that people got bored and look somewhere else.

...there's no martial law on the islands down here; phangan, samui, tao. it's business as usual with "illegal" parties going until dawn, masses of farang working illegally whilst on tourist visas, plenty of drugs to buy, etc etc etc. a person would never know that a coup d'état had occurred...

...there's no martial law on the islands down here; phangan, samui, tao. it's business as usual with "illegal" parties going until dawn, masses of farang working illegally whilst on tourist visas, plenty of drugs to buy, etc etc etc. a person would never know that a coup d'état had occurred...

Well you had better tell the Propaganda posters/ante PM-------they are promoting the fact that if you have a red shirt on--a sandwich-fingered salute-etc you are dragged away screaming, no freedom----told to shut it---lay low----read it all here on TVF. such a joke.

To cap it all the PM went overseas and never spoke a word as everyone ignored him, according to the activists here.

It doesn't matter who you were referring to. It matters who would "take advantage" of it.

"Who you were referring to" would be more properly stated as "to whom you were referring". Prepositions shouldn't be used to end either phrases or sentences. Your mother and 9th grade english teacher would not be proud. wai2.gif

I wouldn't normally comment about posts of this nature, but.

(hint, you fill in the words after the but yourself, a 9th Grade English teacher {notice the capital letters} should be able to explain that to you)

I can't stand grammar Nazis (used to be one, then I grew up) especially ones who then go on to make basic mistakes.

Now, back on topic please.

The country being under Martial Law will have some effect on tourist numbers, but it is far from the main reason.

Quite correct Thaddeus,

But our clan members use the Marshall Law topic as fodder--for their agenda. As you say most of the reasons for drop in numbers are as long as a piece of elastic.

They have all been aired way before the PM took office, ALL posters are aware of the scams from yonks ago. Why the sudden jump on the PM using ML. as the main reason.

OMG I keep forgetting every post is giving me a greater post count, as some posters are et-up about. But they forget their post count is increasing every time they respond. Mai pen rai.

The scams have been going on for years, and might cause a gradual decrease in tourism over time, but why would there suddely be a 20% drop over the last 8 months? It started with the protests, but is continuing with ML.

• Like 1

(hint, you fill in the words after the but yourself, a 9th Grade English teacher {notice the capital letters} should be able to explain that to you)

I can't stand grammar Nazis (used to be one, then I grew up) especially ones who then go on to make basic mistakes.

The country being under Martial Law will have some effect on tourist numbers, but it is far from the main reason.

Quite correct Thaddeus,

But our clan members use the Marshall Law topic as fodder--for their agenda. As you say most of the reasons for drop in numbers are as long as a piece of elastic.

They have all been aired way before the PM took office, ALL posters are aware of the scams from yonks ago. Why the sudden jump on the PM using ML. as the main reason.

OMG I keep forgetting every post is giving me a greater post count, as some posters are et-up about. But they forget their post count is increasing every time they respond. Mai pen rai.

The scams have been going on for years, and might cause a gradual decrease in tourism over time, but why would there suddely be a 20% drop over the last 8 months? It started with the protests, but is continuing with ML.

Isn't it marvelous, It would have had to be the protesters fault, and the PM.

No mention about the non event---3 years of Yingluck, who did nothing but cause the protests in the first place. Biased post, agenda again. why not be fair, and name the multitude of events, The stoppage of scams that escalated during the corrupt PTP regime.

Add barbaric murdering of innocent tourists to that list

• Like 1

Add barbaric murdering of innocent tourists to that list

So what your saying is nothing was done in the past 3 years and little done now.

Quite correct Thaddeus,

No mention about the non event---3 years of Yingluck, who did nothing but cause the protests in the first place. Biased post, agenda again. why not be fair, and name the multitude of events, The stoppage of scams that escalated during the corrupt PTP regime.

The blame game for the protests has been covered in numerous threads over the last 10 months and this thread concerns the future of tourism in this country. I agree that scams are a cause for lost tourism, but the tourism crash now is not a result of scams.

These tourist numbers in the attached file are from the Bank of Thiland website and clearly show a reverse from an upward trend to a downward trend in Jan/Feb 2014.

Jan/Feb 2014 was when the world was being treated to these wonderful photos of elections being forcefully blocked:

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

Martial law still being in effect will cause tourists, especially first time tourists, because if the problems were over, why would we still need martial law? Martial law suggests a situation that could blow up at any time, only held down through suppression.

post-21977-0-20198700-1413986107_thumb.j

Edited by brucec64
  • Like 1

...I've lived on this island year round for 15 years and as the island grows and more money comes in, the only thing that has changed is that corruption and police/mafia corruption has increased substantially! this relatively new and current police chief (phangan, tao) was brought in because the last chiefs pockets were too full of money. the new chief has a beautiful Mercedes, solid gold watch, Harley, and more. I was at the meeting where it was decided to stop the all night parties as they were illegal. they stopped for one week! my friends who run businesses down here are still paying the police "for protection" and the healing centers down here still pay off the immigration police to allow illegal farang workers on tourist visas to teach yoga and sell their snake oil workshops. EVERYONE here knows this! it is done in the open in broad daylight and it is only getting worse and worse! it's an absolute joke!

• Like 1

Martial Law is not going to keep Tourist away... Political turmoil yes But at present there is none and as long as there is Martial law in place there will be None... I see it as a good thing. I know some of you will not agree. But I see Thailand on a good path to reform with Khun Prayut as the leader{PM} of the country.

Whether Thailand likes it or not most tourists could not give a flying fart as to why there was a coup, all they know is that a military government sized power and that's that, lets go some place safer with the kids and spend our money, end of story. coffee1.gif

dont forget, that children were actually killed as people against the rallies tossed hand grenades around

The blame game for the protests has been covered in numerous threads over the last 10 months and this thread concerns the future of tourism in this country. I agree that scams are a cause for lost tourism, but the tourism crash now is not a result of scams.

These tourist numbers in the attached file are from the Bank of Thiland website and clearly show a reverse from an upward trend to a downward trend in Jan/Feb 2014.

Jan/Feb 2014 was when the world was being treated to these wonderful photos of elections being forcefully blocked:

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

Martial law still being in effect will cause tourists, especially first time tourists, because if the problems were over, why would we still need martial law? Martial law suggests a situation that could blow up at any time, only held down through suppression.

Two words for you.

Straw, camel.

Two more.

End, of.

• Like 1

I seriously doubt Martial Law is a deciding factor in most tourist minds concerning Thailand. With the exception of the paranoid few from let's say, UK & Western Europe, the rest of the world won't be focused on the latest news, but more so on good overall value in total costs when visiting Thailand. If Martial Law was such an issue, there would be massive flight reductions into Swampy and other Thai International Gateway Airports. Furthermore, Thai Visa Members are more invested in what is happening around and inside Thailand versus the occasional headline in a local London Newspaper. Plain and simple. From a U.S.-resident perspective, Thailand remains as an image of beauty and warmth with delicious culinary elements worth discovering. And this is based on several personal conversations regarding my 6 visits this calendar year to Thailand from Los Angeles. Not more than maybe two people I know even know about Martial Law. Myself and 7 other friends will be in Thailand for Christmas and New Years Eve. No worries if one is "street-smart" and utilizes common-sense. Reading all of these news articles in TV make me think there are so many idiot tourists in the world. How any of them can even locate their flight departure gate is beyond me.

Maybe I should start a "helpful tips" column directed towards non-Thai visitors and publish it on the cover of in-flight magazines as obviously these victims of petty crimes/injury have no idea to research online the do's & don'ts of Thailand. Whatever happened to common-sense and being resourceful?

Martial Law? Seriously?? No big deal to me or my fellow well-travelled Americans. I welcome change. Adapt with the rest of the world and you will be just fine.

Bon Voyage,

Swampypoom

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

Election elections elections, These pictures put off tourists. nice try. Elections were a no go and well you know it. They were for the benefit of PTP to get back in before all the corruption came to the surface.

Why were they prevented----for this reason.... All travel agents abroad are telling customers --" do not go to Thailand as Martial Law exists" Of course not, holiday makers do not give a fig and again who is advising them not to travel.

Holiday destinations almost everywhere are being hit.

A photo showing Yingluck opening an OTOP shop would have brought the tourists backcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

Election elections elections, These pictures put off tourists. nice try. Elections were a no go and well you know it. They were for the benefit of PTP to get back in before all the corruption came to the surface.

Why were they prevented----for this reason.... All travel agents abroad are telling customers --" do not go to Thailand as Martial Law exists" Of course not, holiday makers do not give a fig and again who is advising them not to travel.

A photo showing Yingluck opening an OTOP shop would have brought the tourists backcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You are welcome to your opinion but numbers do not lie. I will attach these numbers again so you can clearly see a strong correlation between events in Jan/Feb and a drastic reduction in tourism numbers from last year. Please show me tourist numbers for other destinations that have seen 15-20% year to year reduction this year that have not experienced political upheaval or natural disasters.

Also, the OP that is being discussed is "TCT: Another tough year ahead for Thai tourism if martial law stays", not just my opinion.

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

Two words for you.

Straw, camel.

Two more.

End, of.

One word:

Illiterate

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

You are welcome to your opinion but numbers do not lie. I will attach these numbers again so you can clearly see a strong correlation between events in Jan/Feb and a drastic reduction in tourism numbers from last year. Please show me tourist numbers for other destinations that have seen 15-20% year to year reduction this year that have not experienced political upheaval or natural disasters.

Also, the OP that is being discussed is "TCT: Another tough year ahead for Thai tourism if martial law stays", not just my opinion.

There were figures as you posted. BUT who said the downward trend HAD to do with your interpretation ?? did it state the reason was as you said ??

Look up your own stats---or check other countries before blasting the PM. It will be a tough year if Matial Law is lifted---get real.

Do you not think the polices that led to the protests had anything to do with the figures ??? you people make me sick with your wild accusations/comments without putting a balanced view forward.

sjc02thai0202e.jpg

There were figures as you posted. BUT who said the downward trend HAD to do with your interpretation ?? did it state the reason was as you said ??

Look up your own stats---or check other countries before blasting the PM. It will be a tough year if Martial Law is lifted---get real.

Do you not think the polices that led to the protests had anything to do with the figures ??? you people make me sick with your wild accusations/comments without putting a balanced view forward.