Scrabble (crossword) in Thailand

By a story too long to tell, I am now coaching a team of eager beaver Thai student crossword players. I do know how to play Scrabble in Australia, but am unsure of the Thai rules (and none of the teachers here know the rules!).

So, simple question, can someone point me to the rules of Thai Crossword (Scrabble), in English, please?

Also a cheat sheet of the differences betweeen farang and Thai chess would be helpful.

Much appreciated.

I would think Scrabble rules apply world wide, theres not that many in the game.

I would agree, surely the same Rules are applicable worldwide.

Interesting too to note that Thailand is well place in the Scrabble World Championships - especially since it's a non-English speaking Country :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Scrabble_Championship

Patrick

• 1 month later...

I have played pro scrabble here for more than 20 years. The rules are indeed the same though when using a clock each side has just 22 minutes rather than 25 in most tournaments. Be aware that different dictionaries are used for different tournaments in Thailand. International ones such as the knkgs cup in june or july use the Collins 2012 wordlist. Many other tourneys use the twl list that us based on US dictionaries. Contact the crossword game club for further info or PM me. www.thaicrossword.com

Should be the same rules, although they'll use some words which you won't be familiar with, as on the back of the boxes they have a list of 2, 3 and 4 letter words which are legal, but not commonly known. These are, I think, actual words, but just ones which people don't actually know (Words which might not have been used for 500-1000 years, or are quite technical in nature, or loanwords that fell out of use).

That's the main difference.

Thai chess is the same I think, but draughts/checkers is a little different, I can't remember the exact differences but I thought it was weird lol.

You might have been using the ten by ten board and sixty odd letters in the bag. This is a game invented here for the prathom age group and commonly used for the very young in tournaments in thailand. Each side has only six on their rack and using all six gets a thirty point bonus i believe. If the kids are young this is a good game to start them off on before graduating to regular scrabble at age about 11. Its easier to play and only one word stays on making it impossible to end in a stalemate. This is one of the great innovations that has inspired thousands of student players in thailand.