Anyone have recipe for the southern thai food "Kwor ging"

bizzle

It's fine posting how you pronounce it, but how do Thai people pronounce it?

It would also be easier if you were to describe the dish. Is "ging" ginger in this context? What is the main protein? Other ingredients? Wet or dry? Spicy or bland"?

Thanks but I can't write thai

It's dry and spicy, with a lot of kafir lime leaves shavings, minced chicken and kinda yellow I guess

It's quite famous in the south

It could also be spelt in English as khua gling I guess and no ging doesn't abbreviate ginger in this this context

Edited by bizzle

I know the dish - though I wouldn't have guessed it from the original transliteration. Very spicy, minced meat (usually pork in my experience) and dry. Yellow juices from fresh turmeric.

Funnily enough I made it a couple of weeks ago using a ready made paste packet. The paste wasn't one of the usual brands. Indeed, the usual brands don't sell this as a paste. I bought it in Gourmet Market. My partner, whose family is from the South, usually makes it for us and always buys the paste to make it from the local market.

It's really easy to make. You just dry fry (no oil) the minced meat for a few minutes until it's a bit dehydrated. Add the curry paste and stir fry for a further 5 minutes until it's all cooked. Then add the kaffir lime leaves. If it's not salty enough, add a dash of fish sauce.

I haven't actually made the paste myself, but one of my recipe books gives (in my translation):

15 dried whole chilis (the small, spicy type) soaked in hot water for 10 minutes

2 Tbsp galangal

2 heads garlic (no need to remove the skins)

5 Tbsp lemongrass

1/2 Tbsp peppercorns (I presume white - recipe not clear)

1 tsp salt

8 shallots, peeled

1 tsp shrimp paste

3-4 inches fresh turmeric

1 tsp kaffir lime zest

You could probably get a similar effect using regular red curry paste and adding some pounded fresh turmeric.

• Like 1

I knew straight away what you were talking about, you need to use the 'w' or food vendors look a bit confused, and probably the 'g' is more of a k, but other than that, spot on.

Kworking is an everyday dish here, you could liken it to a southern Laap.

• 1 month later...