Good (american Style) Breakfast

wimpy

I'm looking for a tasty American style breakfast in Bangkok, preferably along a public transportation route. I'm talking basic eggs, pancakes, breakfast sausage (not those tasteless British ones), and good coffee. Definitely NOT looking for something trendy. Just honest diner style fare.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking for a tasty American style breakfast in Bangkok, preferably along a public transportation route. I'm talking basic eggs, pancakes, breakfast sausage (not those tasteless British ones), and good coffee. Definitely NOT looking for something trendy. Just honest diner style fare.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

lots of places down the bottom end of soi nana do a decent US style breakfast, with tabasco available. They usually got a sign up in the window. That hotel about halfway down on the left with the patio in front (Dynasty?) does OK as well.

With ham, sausages and bacon it's the usual thai stuff...it's got pork in it but that's about all positive to say...also, never seen any hash browns worth mentioning anywhere in thailand. If they are offered you get a couple of the little frozen potato patties that you see in the frozen food section of supermarkets...put some tabasco on it and think about home...

someone said that the coffee shop at the Nana Hotel does good burgers on a 24 hour basis...if that's true ye might wanna mosey over and investigate the breakfast menu...

where would we all be without good ol' soi nana?

Having eaten breakfast all over BKK, I can honestly say that finding American style breakfast sausage will be a fruitless expedition. Every place I have been too that serves "sausage" has always had hot dogs. Is that what Thais consider sausage? I dont know but that is what they have. Eggs you can get anywhere. You wont find hasbrowns anywhere either but instead you'll find quarter cut seasoned potatos. As for coffee, I dont like mine too strong and Thai coffee is VERY strong, at least for my taste, so finding good coffee IMO is difficult too. The one place I have been to where I actually enjoyed the coffee is at the Nana Hotel coffee shop. Nana Hotel serves a decent breakfast buffet, as do most hotels, but I would pick Nana over the others simply for the coffee. Another place I have been to where I enjoyed the breakfast is the British Club but of course they serve a "British style" breakfast with beans. I enjoyed it nonetheless. Good luck but you're not going to find the sausage or hasbrowns anywhere!

Edited by TRIPxCORE

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Surley thats a misnomer :o

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Good (american Style) Breakfast

KFC

Pizza hut

Mc Do

sorry for being bitchy :D

That´s alright Bambers... Cos you are naughty and sexy too! :D

I'm looking for a tasty American style breakfast

sorry, thought I misread the oxymoron there. :o

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Surley thats a misnomer :o

He/she didn't say "tasty English breakfast". Now *that* would have been an oxymoron. I love me some grits and hash browns! mmmm

What do Thais eat for breakfast, anyway?

Oh I totally agree about ordering "sausage" in Thailand, what a put off to get a stinkin hot dog! And ordering "ham" may be little more than a slice of bologna. You learn real quick to go for bacon every time, and get it crisp.

Probably the ultimate american breakfast would be the Oriental Hotel as it is a huge buffet of good eats right on the river. Downsides: outdoors so it is hot, need to be there reasonably early because by 10 it's pretty scavanged, and quite expensive--been a while but would guess pushing 1000 baht. If the right circumstances line up, worth at least a one time shot I would say.

I personally am a fan of O'Brians on Sukhumvit between sois 3 and 5. Its set up like an Amercian style diner and very reasonably price wise. Plus its 24 hours so always good for a steak and eggs while wandering home from a night out!

Sabah cafe

Samsen Rd between soi 1 and 3 in Banglampoo area

Unfortunately not american sausages but proper english sausages. They have homemade hashbrowns, homemade thick bread and good coffee. Do pancakes as well

Do excellent english breakfast. Have black puddin if you're in to it

Having eaten breakfast all over BKK, I can honestly say that finding American style breakfast sausage will be a fruitless expedition.....

Regretfully, I have to second that. All of the suggestions above (with the possible exception of the Marriott) offer nothing more than mostly mediocre varations on greasy English pub breakfasts. Bourbon Street ought to know better, but it's as bad as any.

I was in the new Woodstock right after it opened out near Soi ThongLor and there on the table before me was a tent card pushing their American breakfasts available all day. The manager came over just before I ordered and I told him how great I thought that was and how much I was looking forward to trying it. I wouldn't order any of that breakfast stuff, he told me candidly, the Thais we hire for the kitchen just can't do it very well. So I had a burger instead. Apparentlfy they can't do that very well at Woodstock either.

About 10 years ago there was a Denny's where you could get all this. Open 24 hours too. Believe it started in Sukhumvit 33 before moving to Rachadapisek. Definitely not here anymore though, too bad.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

What's good American breakfast? Fried eggs, processed meat (sausages, ham, bacon, corned beef, etc), and lots and lots of melted butter?

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

What's good American breakfast? Fried eggs, processed meat (sausages, ham, bacon, corned beef, etc), and lots and lots of melted butter?

yeah...when in Thailand I'd settle for khao man gai and call it a day (rubbery chicken makes me want to barf...)

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I'll have my processed meat product with eggs scrambled, hash browns and toast...or, if I'm in an international mood... hold the toast and give me an english muffin :o

Don't forget the flap jacks. :D

:D

Used to be the Sri Guest House on Soi 38 off Sukhumvit. Unfortunately, it's closed now. Started back in the 70's as a U.S. military enlisted quarters. Then went commercial after military left Thailand. Owners learned how to make an American breakfast. (Not what you brits think breakfast is in Lawn-Down). Had a big stack of 4 pancakes with lots of syrup, Pork patty sausage, Cream Beef on Toast (SOS), Home Fries with Onions, thick cut fried Ham Steak. Would make an old southern boy's heart skip a beat. Also had the best Orange Juice in BKK. After almost 30 years, owners desided to call it time to quit. Hasn't been an American down-home country style breakfast to match it since they closed. Also had a cherry topped Cream Cheese Cake to die for. If they ever made the Pecan Pie special with Vanilla Ice cream it was like a slice of heaven.

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

:o

First of all, Wimpy (Is that J Wellington Wimpy of Popeye fame or the British hamburger chain?), please define 'American sausage'. Are you talking about those plastic tubes that you put in hot dogs? Perhaps you refer to the many European types that are made in the US or are you talking about sausage meat patties? When did you last eat a genuine British banger? There are about 500 types of British banger, my local butcher makes about 30 of them. Foodland in Bangkok sell a fairly good English pork sausage.

An American friend of mine (ex USAF) likes 'shit on shingles' for breakfast - that would be classified in England as invalid food. I have never tried it, the look of it puts me off.

I will end now as my wife has just cooked me a full English breakfast.

First of all, Wimpy (Is that J Wellington Wimpy of Popeye fame or the British hamburger chain?), please define 'American sausage'. Are you talking about those plastic tubes that you put in hot dogs? Perhaps you refer to the many European types that are made in the US or are you talking about sausage meat patties? When did you last eat a genuine British banger? There are about 500 types of British banger, my local butcher makes about 30 of them. Foodland in Bangkok sell a fairly good English pork sausage.

An American friend of mine (ex USAF) likes 'shit on shingles' for breakfast - that would be classified in England as invalid food. I have never tried it, the look of it puts me off.

I will end now as my wife has just cooked me a full English breakfast.

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today...

My favorite when I am in the US (if I'm cooking) are Jimmy Dean breakfast links. The ones served at Mel's Diner in SF are quite tasty too.

I have tried some of the locally made British bangers. They are sold in Chiang Mai at the Rim Ping supermarket. Not at all what I am looking for. I found them greasy and bland. They also have some imported American breakfast links, but they are rather pricey. I spent some time on the Isle of Man (TT Races). I can only say that the breakfasts (especially the bangers) were not the highlight of the experience. :o The ploughman's lunches and fresh Guiness were a treat though. :D

So what is a *real* so called American breakfast? Here you go:

choice of 1-2 eggs: scrambled, over easy, fried, soft boiled, or omelet

choice of meat: bacon, sausage links or patties, grilled ham (NEVER HOTDOGS)

choice of bread: toast, english muffin, bagel, biscuits, donuts, jelly rolls

choice of potato: hash browns, home fries (lightly fried potato slices)

popular options/add ons: grits, pancakes, waffles, biscuits & gravy, cereal, french toast, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit

drinks: juice and choice of coffee or tea

condiments: salt & pepper, butter, jelly, cinnamon, sugar, cream cheese, syrup, ketchup, tobasco

Oh, man. I could bearly read your post without choking back a sob. When I grab my luggage at LAX or JFK, sometimes I hit a coffee shop before I even check into the hotel so I can order from exactly that menu. What I wouldn't give to find it somewhere in Bangkok.

And don't forget the cheerful, neverending coffee refills. A certain generosity of spirit (or at least the appearance of it) is an intergral part of every American breakfast, which pretty much eliminates the possibility of finding one in Thailand right there.

Having eaten breakfast all over BKK, I can honestly say that finding American style breakfast sausage will be a fruitless expedition.....

Regretfully, I have to second that. All of the suggestions above (with the possible exception of the Marriott) offer nothing more than mostly mediocre varations on greasy English pub breakfasts. Bourbon Street ought to know better, but it's as bad as any.

Have to agree with these posters. BKK is defiantly lacking in real American style breakfasts. Always seem to fall short on both the sausages and the potatoes side of things. And lets not even discuss the issue of SOS or breakfast gravy.

On the sausage front everyplace seems to fall well short of the mark – not enough spice/seasoning in the sausage (links or patties).

One would think that getting hash browns or home fries would be no problem – but for some reason it seems to be a problem here.

I think the search for decent breakfast gravy is a fruitless endeavor – especially if one cannot find decent breakfast sausage.

Seems the best place to get a decent American style breakfast is to make it yourself. I have had limited success at finding imported sausage links from the US at Villa from time to time.

Would have to say that Bourbon Street comes the closest to pulling it off.