Law regarding overstay for someone under 15

Child with dual citizenship entered Thailand with passport from a Schengen nation and has now stayed in Thailand for almost 2 years without leaving Thailand. I have been told by local immigration officers that children under 15 can't be fined for overstay but i would really like to print out such information in thai for "convenience" when i do eventually fly back to Europe with my child.

And please spare me the lecture about "why not enter on thai passport" as that was not an option for several reasons when the child came to Thailand.

The law is part of the civil code that children under 15 cannot be fined for certain things. It is based upon this that immigration does not fine them. There will be no problem when leaving.

There was no need for the long overstay because the child could of gotten one year extensions of stay based upon being Thai at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

The law is part of the civil code that children under 15 cannot be fined for certain things. It is based upon this that immigration does not fine them. There will be no problem when leaving.

There was no need for the long overstay because the child could of gotten one year extensions of stay based upon being Thai at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

There's definitely no fine for overstay for children 15 and under. I've never understood why a Thai citizen needs permission to stay, under any circumstances. There won't be an issue when leaving Thailand unless you're travelling alone with the child and then you will need a certified letter from the mother giving you permission.

There's definitely no fine for overstay for children 15 and under. I've never understood why a Thai citizen needs permission to stay, under any circumstances.

They don't need permission, it's an abuse by Immigration that applies penalties destined only for foreigners. Since nobody so far has challenged that in court, they continue to do that.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

ld

There's definitely no fine for overstay for children 15 and under. I've never understood why a Thai citizen needs permission to stay, under any circumstances. There won't be an issue when leaving Thailand unless you're travelling alone with the child and then you will need a certified letter from the mother giving you permission.

Taken my 7 year old dual American/Thai citizen to USA over 10 times and have never been asked for a certified letter from the mother. She has never even been to the airport with us. They ask for both passports to check-in at BKK and couldn't care less about a Thai passport at SFO.

ld

Taken my 7 year old dual American/Thai citizen to USA over 10 times and have never been asked for a certified letter from the mother. She has never even been to the airport with us. They ask for both passports to check-in at BKK and couldn't care less about a Thai passport at SFO.

Seems you are replying to the wrong topic.

Now, I heard they changed to be 14 yrs old.

But i think what they mean is before your 15yrs old birthday.

Okay na.

It is stated as 15 or over and 14 or under. Which of course is the same age.

Not the same age--16 is 15 or over; while 13 is 14 or under. Maybe under 15 or 14 and under?

. Always sound advice about visa from ubonjoe