We got our 100K rebate from the "Car Scheme"

ExPratt

Got the missus a 1.5 Fiesta in December 2012 and got the promised 100k back 22 months later. It turned out a good deal for us in the end a new 1.5 sporty 4 door car for 600,000. We were not desperate for the money but it still riled me that they seemed to have reneged on the deal. I cant help thinking though that this delay in the promised rebate would have cost some people dear and would seriously annoy those needing the money. Anyone else been paid back , or not

• Like 1

Yes as previously reported - one of the first as the truck was bought at the very beginning of the deal period.

You say "seemed to have reneged" - were you given a fixed time when you were supposed to have been paid back?

With financial help from yours truly, my thai wife bought a Nissan Almera in June 2012 and registered for the rebate of 69k in Aug 2012 or thereabouts, haven't received any rebate yet and according to my wife, whenever she calls to check on payment, the stock answer is another month or so, budget run out, or change of government, or awaiting new budget etc etc. Its extremely frustrating listening to all the explanations/excuses. To be honest at various stages ive even entertained the notion that she may have been paid and said nothing to me, but knowing her, i find that very hard to believe. Whats the best course of action at this stage, bearing in mind i dont speak Thai, so im dependant on my wife to pass on the results of her efforts. Any ideas???

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Yes as previously reported - one of the first as the truck was bought at the very beginning of the deal period.

You say "seemed to have reneged" - were you given a fixed time when you were supposed to have been paid back?

We were not given a time for rebate , but there was no contact between them and us , my wife went to the Bangkok office apparently so did a large angry mobs , but at the time large angry mobs were par for the course, Almost 2 years for the rebate , I thought it wasn't going to happen

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Car in your name or your wife's name ?

Missus name , she uses it not me

What forms did the Thai registered owner fill out and sign to collect the rebate was it still running in DEC 2012?

We went and ordered the car in something like June 2012 , due to the high demand for 1.5s (Due to the 100k back offer) the car was delivered in December 2012. I believe the rebate comes through the Tax office , basically submit the receipt when you bought the car and twiddle your thumbs for 22 months, 26 months if you include the wait for delivery

With financial help from yours truly, my thai wife bought a Nissan Almera in June 2012 and registered for the rebate of 69k in Aug 2012 or thereabouts, haven't received any rebate yet and according to my wife, whenever she calls to check on payment, the stock answer is another month or so, budget run out, or change of government, or awaiting new budget etc etc. Its extremely frustrating listening to all the explanations/excuses. To be honest at various stages ive even entertained the notion that she may have been paid and said nothing to me, but knowing her, i find that very hard to believe. Whats the best course of action at this stage, bearing in mind i dont speak Thai, so im dependant on my wife to pass on the results of her efforts. Any ideas???

Exactly the same for me, I wasn't scratching for the money it was just annoying me that we were being "Knocked" and the missus being Thai doesn't like challenging those she sees as in a position of power, Tax, Government ect unless shes totally pissed off. I read about 6 months ago that the money was going to be paid in the next tax year, no idea if that is Now or not ? Anyway they paid our money out of the blue with no notice, they called up the missus and said we've paid 100K into your bank

And who got the rebate? :D

Although Thai people got discount, you guys bought older model. New fiesta looks more ugly than old one in my opinion, but new city, new vios looks much better than old ones, that are sold to Thai with 100K rebate "Sceme" and just after rebate ended, they announced new models.

Car companies must be very happy to get rid of their old part stocks at no loss (discount were given by Thai government?!)

And who got the rebate? biggrin.png

I see where you are going here ;o). Went into her account but shes going to use it to pay some school fees for one of the kids, she wants to as she wont be getting it from me ;o)

To the bloke who said the new Fiestas are ugly in comparison to the old , I take it you were not hanging about in east London in 1982 , when the" XR2" was in vogue . Basically we picked up a brand new Ford car with warranty and insurance for 600,000, you can just about pick up a shit box proton for that in Malaysia

Edited by ExPratt

Well a Shit Box Proton can be exchanged back at Proton for a New Shitty one for very little money. Cant do that with a Shitty Ford.In fact $ for $ the Ford devalues worse so the Cash Backs little consolation.Now a Yaris is still worth the most on trade in.

Interesting.

Why did they pay back 100k when offered was the return of the 10% excise tax, up to 1 Mio. Baht?!

Meaning it sounds impossible to get 100 K on a Fiesta that costs 700.000.

Wouldn't it be 70.000 at the most?ermm.gif alt=ermm.gif>

Mate , you'll see from a thread I opened about bank accounts that I know nothing of thai Tax. The missus had 100K paid into her bank last week

Well a Shit Box Proton can be exchanged back at Proton for a New Shitty one for very little money. Cant do that with a Shitty Ford.In fact $ for $ the Ford devalues worse so the Cash Backs little consolation.Now a Yaris is still worth the most on trade in.

Deary me , we're getting all upset aren't we ? You have a Proton I take it , I'd get all upset , bitter and twisted as well if I had one

We got the rebate (on a Suzuki Swift) after a year as promised - but it was only 80,000 baht!

Just checked again with the missus, 100k paid into her bank, we bought the car outright if that makes any difference, no finance

Edited by ExPratt

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Interesting.

Why did they pay back 100k when offered was the return of the 10% excise tax, up to 1 Mio. Baht?!

Wouldn't it be 70.000 at the most?ermm.gif

We got the rebate (on a Suzuki Swift) after a year as promised - but it was only 80,000 baht!

In the original thread about this someone quoted what the different rates were as if I remember correctly it varies by vehicle/type/engine size etc.

On a truck costing just under 800k we got back 73k so 80k on a Swift seems a good result.

My missus dealt with all of it, I, obviously, just supplied the cash . The 100k payback was informed to her by a salesman of all people in Fords, The top of the range 4 door ,1.5 was barely over 700.000 K, he has had paid into her bank a rebate of 100,000, Shes getting a bit up tight now with all these questions , she thinks I think shes knocked me

Edited by ExPratt

Deary me , we're getting all upset aren't we ? You have a Proton I take it , I'd get all upset , bitter and twisted as well if I had one

Nope but i had an idea to liven You Up.cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Interesting.

Wouldn't it be 70.000 at the most?ermm.gif

In the original thread about this someone quoted what the different rates were as if I remember correctly it varies by vehicle/type/engine size etc.

On a truck costing just under 800k we got back 73k so 80k on a Swift seems a good result.

It was 10% on the official selling price which is exactly the excise tax refunded.

Up to 1 Million.

So you could not write something different in the contract.

The 1,5 l engine limitation was taken out much earlier, Isuzu eg. lowered the prices of the top model to be just under 1 Mio to be eligible.

I got back 100K but the price paid was 996.000..., so 400 B too much.

Just sayin..

No it was not, it was the excise tax to a max of 100k.

And yes, there was an engine limitation, but also pickups were included.

Nope but i had an idea to liven You Up.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

Hahahahaha , good one , I spend a lot of time in Malaysia , so am totally anti-Proton

• Like 1

The "car scheme" - doesn't it involve a rebate from the auto manufacturer that is funded through a reduction of its profits? That it is not funded by the government. And it is up to the manufacturer to make the rebate and most likely will time it when business is optimal. No doubt with the upheaval of the federal government in 2013 & 2014 resulting in a dramtic slowdown of sales, most manufacturers were probably not in a good position to pay the rebates. These rebates are common in the West to promote sales of big ticket items but usually they are paid (ie., netted against total purchase price) immediately at time of SALE; there is no waiting or promises.

This "scheme" is no different than the Junta's schemes to have manufacturers of household products and food vendors discount their retail prices to encourage domestic consumption and GDP growth - oh, and happiness.

The "car scheme" - doesn't it involve a rebate from the auto manufacturer that is funded through a reduction of its profits? That it is not funded by the government. And it is up to the manufacturer to make the rebate and most likely will time it when business is optimal. No doubt with the upheaval of the federal government in 2013 & 2014 resulting in a dramtic slowdown of sales, most manufacturers were probably not in a good position to pay the rebates. These rebates are common in the West to promote sales of big ticket items but usually they are paid (ie., netted against total purchase price) immediately at time of SALE; there is no waiting or promises.

This "scheme" is no different than the Junta's schemes to have manufacturers of household products and food vendors discount their retail prices to encourage domestic consumption and GDP growth - oh, and happiness.

It was an excise tax rebate, so it did not directly affect manufacturers. However, there has been a flow on effect, so no manufacturers are struggling to sell cars because of the glut in the market.

So in order to get the rebate you would have to have bought a car or truck that was 1.5 or smaller engine is that correct? We bought a 2014 Subaru 2.0, so I guess that means we won't be getting any rebates. If we had known they were going to tax us 15,000 US more than the car sells for we would had bought a used one outside the country. Stupid Huh. What a Rip off that was.

Bought an Almera in Pattaya May 2012, wife's name, went to the excise dept in Laem Chabang a month later, did all the paperwork and expected to receive sod all, Lo and behold an automated 80,000฿ payment into the wife's account (and shortly afterwards into the joint account) about 14 months after buying the car. No problems with the rebate scheme, just a shame the car's a bag of etihs - my lawnmower can climb steeper gradients than the car. Roll on the 5 year limit before you can sell it without repaying the rebate. Anyone sold before the 5 years are up? If so, what's the procedure? TIA.