Pros Cons and Misunderstandings

David48

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a great post, David, and I agree with much of it.

However, Silicon Valley is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. It is called what it is because it become the center of the computer and internet revolution. (Silicon wafers which are used in high tech electronics to make things such as integrated circuits and other things. These are also silicon semiconductors.)

The number of high tech and famous companies there is massive, including Intel, Yahoo and you name it.

The average income there is well above the national average and of course things are expensive. This is basically just South of San Francisco which is also expensive.

So the wife's experience is big city, expensive, not the greatest California weather due to fog rolling in from the Pacific Ocean, crowding, and yes, some people who think they are better than.

I would like to see the same article written by someone who moved to a much smaller and less expensive town with better weather, much less traffic and frankly, more good common people.

The plus side is that the OP who, being transferred by what must be an international tech company, probably has a very good job and income.

While I agree that Silcon Valley is an expensive place to live .....you fail to point out why?

Jobs, jobs, jobs.....AND high paying jobs!

There's a reason that Poe Dunk Texass is cheap (small US cities) ....few jobs, dying infrastructuce, youth looking for a way to escape....but the fact remains that even in Poe Dunk Texass property taxes, payroll taxes, social security, medical insurance fees, sales taxes etc....add to a high cost of living in the US! Think about it ....small city, Why?...no one wants to live there except for those who are stuck there because they can't afford to move out!

Oh, and by the way, there is NO fog in Silicon Valley (Mountains stops the fog before it reaches the valley) so the weather is fantastic and hot!

Edited by beachproperty
  • Like 1

^^ NS ... if it's not too private a question to ask on a public forum ...

Do you have a Thai Partner (currently)?

Settled in the West?

In Thailand?

Flick between the two?

David, I don't have a partner of any kind. Not even one with a sick buffalo, LOL.

I'm settled in America and visit Thailand about once a year for about 3 months. The longest time I spent there was just under 180 days and I was in Chiang Mai renting at the Riverside Apartments. A girlfriend "found me" that time and we has such a good time that when I left I bought her the scooter I had rented.

Last year I rented a car from Avis in BKK and spent a month touring Isaan. That was a great experience. I returned the car in Udon at the airport when I left after spending almost 2 months in Udon and surrounds including Nong Khai which I really liked.

• Like 2

you honestl;y believe that no one would live in a small rural town if they had a chance to move to the silicon valley?? lol.

Neve said that.....read the post. Sadly many of the youth of small towns DO want to get out of small town America as their future prospects are dim. Suppose you would want to live (or maybe do live) in one of the following small towns in America

post-190189-0-07443100-1414455008_thumb.post-190189-0-68413700-1414455037_thumb.post-190189-0-99148100-1414455058_thumb.

Settled in the West?

In Thailand?

Flick between the two?

David, I don't have a partner of any kind. Not even one with a sick buffalo, LOL.

I'm settled in America and visit Thailand about once a year for about 3 months. The longest time I spent there was just under 180 days and I was in Chiang Mai renting at the Riverside Apartments. A girlfriend "found me" that time and we has such a good time that when I left I bought her the scooter I had rented.

Last year I rented a car from Avis in BKK and spent a month touring Isaan. That was a great experience. I returned the car in Udon at the airport when I left after spending almost 2 months in Udon and surrounds including Nong Khai which I really liked.

@ Neversure. I am going to do exactly the opposite of you. We will live very well in Thailand and come back and visit the US as we need our fill. I personally think its a GREAT place to visit, just wouldn't want to live there(here). Reality is I can cease working today living in Thailand, Here in the US, NO WAY. I will be forced to work until 65 and maybe beyond. Its just that simple for me.

• Like 2

Settled in the West?

In Thailand?

Flick between the two?

@ Neversure. I am going to do exactly the opposite of you. We will live very well in Thailand and come back and visit the US as we need our fill. I personally think its a GREAT place to visit, just wouldn't want to live there(here). Reality is I can cease working today living in Thailand, Here in the US, NO WAY. I will be forced to work until 65 and maybe beyond. Its just that simple for me.

you honestl;y believe that no one would live in a small rural town if they had a chance to move to the silicon valley?? lol.

Neve said that.....read the post. Sadly many of the youth of small towns DO want to get out of small town America as their future prospects are dim. Suppose you would want to live (or maybe do live) in one of the following small towns in America

attachicon.gifsmall town1.jpgattachicon.gifsmall town2.jpgattachicon.gifsmalltown3.jpg

yes you did and I would be very happy in a small town like this and its a damn sight cheaper than silcon valley pal!

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=600&q=whitefish+montana&oq=whitefish+montana&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1299.7343.0.8029.17.15.0.2.2.0.511.2399.2-7j5-1.8.0....0...1ac.1.56.img..7.10.2408.F0pLeNiDu3c#tbm=isch&q=nelson+bc

Hey PAL!w00t.gif

So you don't believe that if some young people from a small town had the chance (ie the the MONEY or EDUCATION!) to move to a larger town with better propects ....they wouldn't. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Well then...being Alice in Wonderland for haloween would be perfict for you!w00t.gif

As for Silicon Valley versus "Small town" USA, All depends on what one wants and desires. I was born and raised in California. I watch it grow to what it is, Good and bad. I stayed as it is a great place to make money and there is always a something going and things to go do. I am very hyper type and this area suited me well early on, Now I want to be off somewhere else, but not America.

attachicon.gifsmall town1.jpgattachicon.gifsmall town2.jpgattachicon.gifsmalltown3.jpg

yes you did and I would be very happy in a small town like this and its a damn sight cheaper than silcon valley pal!

https://www.google.com/search?site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1366&bih=600&q=whitefish+montana&oq=whitefish+montana&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1299.7343.0.8029.17.15.0.2.2.0.511.2399.2-7j5-1.8.0....0...1ac.1.56.img..7.10.2408.F0pLeNiDu3c#tbm=isch&q=nelson+bc

Hey PAL!w00t.gif

So you don't believe that if some young people from a small town had the chance (ie the the MONEY or EDUCATION!) to move to a larger town with better propects ....they wouldn't. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Well then...being Alice in Wonderland for haloween would be perfict for you!w00t.gif

LOL! now you are reduced to saying SOME young people!! forget your original statement pal? hahahahahaha

"small city, Why?...no one wants to live there except for those who are stuck there because they can't afford to move out!"

My post that David 48 quoted was an assessment as noted by my Thai wife. It is what she has observed. In the end she prefers Thailand(As do I) over what you have to give to live in the states. You give up a lot to live here. While the US claims to be the land of the free it is actually the furthest from it but very few ever really look at it. Most are oblivious to the reality.

Anyway it is what it is. Beauty is we all have choices. I have lived in Thailand more on than off since 2005. I had a few stretches where I was there 2+ years straight. My wife has been back with me here over 2.5 years, by the time we exit it will be 3+. I thinks that's plenty of real seat time to see what one may or may not like about a place. She has never once said ever during our time here that she wanted to stay or even asked me what I think about it staying, Its always been "When are we going home".

Mate, thanks for penning the original post, plus taking the time to revisit it.

My first shout ... drunk.gif when I'm up your way.

LOL! now you are reduced to saying SOME young people!! forget your original statement pal? hahahahahaha

"small city, Why?...no one wants to live there except for those who are stuck there because they can't afford to move out!"

That isn't true. A lot of people hate cities and love small towns.

I would say that it's more like "Many people hate big cities but they can't figure out how to leave."

The wealthiest guy I know, and I mean Lear Jet wealthy, moved with his wife and kids from LA to a small town in Oregon just before the kids started school. They didn't want their kids going to LA schools but rather wanted the small town culture.

One of my best lifetime friends is a retired heart surgeon and he retired at 55 just so he could get out of Seattle and buy a small farm just outside of a small town North of Vancouver, Washington.

Don't tell me no one wants to escape the city. smile.png

Now I would love to hear from someone who took a Thai to live in a small but nice town. (Actually I know one and he's right here painting the inside of my house as I write this.) She doesn't want to go back to Thailand.

• Like 1

You are showing pictures of extremely rural abandoned ghost towns. One for sure is an abandoned gold mining town at least 100 years old.

America is huge. There is something for everyone. It's too diverse to generalize.

In a small town of 10,000 people the local attorney(s) and banker(s) and certified accountant(s) and doctor(s) and nurse(s) and many, many others will make a very good living and find the cost of living to be cheap. There may be another 20,000 people who call that town "going to town" who are really rural on farms and ranches.

Here are true pictures of small town America. LINK

You're absolutely right! America is a very diverse place with many wonderful small towns.

What you fail to point out though, is because they are small, the jobs are few and the opportunities for the youth is limited (ie many have to leave so their future prospects can grow!)

As for local attorney(s), Banker(s), etc......VERY limited opportunities as those that are employed as such already HAVE the job ....which is one, they will have for life there and these small towns can't support hundreds (if not thousands) of these specific jobs.

Job prospects for the youth from small towns is to move to the larger towns or cities where there is opportunity. Education is the key but unfortunately many small town youths thinks sports is their way out (and for some it is)

BUT this thread is not about small town America VS Big city etc....

Its about Thai impressions of the West....sorry about that David48...

I think we can all agree on the observation that worldwide there is an attraction to the larger cities offering more job opportunities. That is why there are many folk from Isaan in Bangkok. Not limited to U.S.

My post that David 48 quoted was an assessment as noted by my Thai wife. It is what she has observed. In the end she prefers Thailand(As do I) over what you have to give to live in the states. You give up a lot to live here. While the US claims to be the land of the free it is actually the furthest from it but very few ever really look at it. Most are oblivious to the reality.

Anyway it is what it is. Beauty is we all have choices. I have lived in Thailand more on than off since 2005. I had a few stretches where I was there 2+ years straight. My wife has been back with me here over 2.5 years, by the time we exit it will be 3+. I thinks that's plenty of real seat time to see what one may or may not like about a place. She has never once said ever during our time here that she wanted to stay or even asked me what I think about it staying, Its always been "When are we going home".

Mate, thanks for penning the original post, plus taking the time to revisit it.

My first shout ... drunk.gif when I'm up your way.

Anytime David. All good. PM when you are here

• Like 1

That isn't true. A lot of people hate cities and love small towns.

I would say that it's more like "Many people hate big cities but they can't figure out how to leave."

The wealthiest guy I know, and I mean Lear Jet wealthy, moved with his wife and kids from LA to a small town in Oregon just before the kids started school. They didn't want their kids going to LA schools but rather wanted the small town culture.

One of my best lifetime friends is a retired heart surgeon and he retired at 55 just so he could get out of Seattle and buy a small farm just outside of a small town North of Vancouver, Washington.

Don't tell me no one wants to escape the city. smile.png

Now I would love to hear from someone who took a Thai to live in a small but nice town. (Actually I know one and he's right here painting the inside of my house as I write this.) She doesn't want to go back to Thailand.

I didnt say it, that was beachproperty's line not mine.. i happen to live in a small town and my thai wife and I love it

• Like 1

Let's leave "America" for a moment, if I may, and do a couple of minor comparisons.

Cost of housing in the USA and Australia seems much the same, as do taxes, extremely high costs for mobile phone contracts and internet. The thing that got me on a visit to the USA was the nasty habit of adding sales tax/GST, after you've decided you have just enough to pay for something. Thank heavens that's not done here in Thailand or Australia. I can afford to live here in Chiang Mai on my pension, I can afford 24/7 internet, and eating out, registering and insuring the car. I could NOT do that in Australia.

Re: the comment on sidewalks/footpaths. In Chiang Mai they spend nothing on them, few walk on them, and everyone uses them to park their scooters (called motor bikes/sais here).

Seems the USA and Australia have the same attitude to dog poop and litter. You or your pooch drop it - you pick it up. I've actually seen that done here by a non-farang. Compare that to China where everything is dropped and left; under the table, out on the street.

No thanks! I'll stay with Chiang Mai!! wai.gif

• Like 1

Great original post and good observations. I am American, retired with only residence in Thailand and very happy with Thai wife (cultural differences notwithstanding). Grew up close to Philadelphia so I know the megalopolis, attended undergraduate college in Western Kentucky where, due to the more laid back life and friendly way I was treated, I decided to spend my working life (unfortunate financial decision as I was in education).

I agree with many of D48's Thai wife's observations. Bottom line, I am retired in Thailand, several reasons but finances (can't afford to live as well in US), even greater laid back lifestyle (although Chiang Mai is a lot more busy than my KY town). Much of what we find is due to our own raising, cultural orientation. My Thai wife loves visiting the U.S. but there is no way I would take her to live there (as I say, not financially possible anyway). I believe we live a much better life here.

The only thing I would add is that Silicon Valley, like watching U.S. Movies, does not give a true picture of the U.S. Ha! I would not want to live in California either (any more than the east coast). But rural W. Kentucky? I had 18.5 acres, fishing lake, deer, fox, raccoons, etc. very nice setting.

• Like 1

Let's leave "America" for a moment, if I may, and do a couple of minor comparisons.

Cost of housing in the USA and Australia seems much the same, as do taxes, extremely high costs for mobile phone contracts and internet. The thing that got me on a visit to the USA was the nasty habit of adding sales tax/GST, after you've decided you have just enough to pay for something. Thank heavens that's not done here in Thailand or Australia. I can afford to live here in Chiang Mai on my pension, I can afford 24/7 internet, and eating out, registering and insuring the car. I could NOT do that in Australia.

Re: the comment on sidewalks/footpaths. In Chiang Mai they spend nothing on them, few walk on them, and everyone uses them to park their scooters (called motor bikes/sais here).

Seems the USA and Australia have the same attitude to dog poop and litter. You or your pooch drop it - you pick it up. I've actually seen that done here by a non-farang. Compare that to China where everything is dropped and left; under the table, out on the street.

No thanks! I'll stay with Chiang Mai!! wai.gif

"USA was the nasty habit of adding sales tax/GST, after you've decided you have just enough to pay for something. Thank heavens that's not done here in Thailand or Australia" - FHS!!! - get your facts right! - Australia has GST at 10% and the Abbott gov want to increase it..

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1