Five people killed and 20 others injured at an uncontrolled railway crossing in Khon Kaen province

webfact

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience is locals tend to avoid bridges crossing over roads and railways if possible.

The prevailing belief (or excuse) is that bridges are routinely frequented by muggers and rapists.

In addition, many locals do not consider the effort involved in climbing some steps worth the added safety of not being run over by a car or a train.

As one poster has already mentioned, they do however enjoy building improptu crossings (not involving any steps) but often involving small added patches of earth or stones and holes cut in fences, thus allowing pedestrians and motorbikes to cross where previously impossible.

What flawed logic and absolute stupidity on the part of people who think that way (mostly uneducated ones of course).

First of all, why would anyone in their right mind want to spend half an hour waiting for a break in traffic before darting across the road, when they could have climbed a few steps and be on the other side in 2 mins? I can't imagine ever wasting so much time waiting to cross a road, when this great invention called a footbridge not only saves me time but also my life.

Having said that my feeling is this particular level crossing is located in a very rural area with no barriers along the small local road which cuts across it. Basically the onus is on any vehicles that want to drive across the railway line to check for trains coming before crossing. In all likelihood the truck driver didn't check properly and/or tried to cross thinking he still had enough time to make it when he didn't. Lots of those sorts of risks are made on the roads all the time, but while you might get away with doing that on a road shared with other vehicles, trains + road based vehicles don't mix. Trains always have the right of way. So rather than try to find another way around the crossing in this case, there weren't any safety barriers surrounding it, like you would find at busier crossings.

• Like 1

"...train with four passenger bogies was heading for Nong Khai...".

I think it should read passenger cars, as bogies are the cluster of wheels (usually four but sometimes six) underneath the cars that swivel and allow the train to negotiate bends.

(An old train spotter from the LMS line)

Translate that to Thai and I'm sure the grieving families will thank you.

Every village has one and you're ours

• Like 1

And this country wants High Speed Trains!!w00t.gif

Exactly! When they couldn't manage a model railway set up for entertaining your kids.

Have you never seen the BTS or underground?

You are exactly right. It is the State Railway of Thailand that is the cluster<deleted>. The BTS and MRT are professionally run but the Airport Link, which uses the same basic equipment and is, in fact, newer, is already run into debt and the equipment worn out through lack of maintenance. Management of SRT is a patronage job and their unions are worse than useless.

Guess Thailand needs 1st world thinking before it gets 1st world trains? Where shall we start? It needs a massive leap in thought processes and probably a couple of generations of good education?

You think too much. Have fun, better. Thailand ready for anythings. You Farang; you no understands.

We have to see things in perspective. Most of us were attracted to Thailand because it was different. Things happening here are just that difference, just my opinion.

For some more perspective google level crossing deaths in USA:

http://railroadclaims.com/railroad-accident-statistics/

According to the Federal Railroad Administration, in an average year in the United States, more than 3,000 train accidents occur leading to death, injury and property damage.

National statistics show that every two hours there is a train accident in the USA. Almost all of these accidents involve some type of property damage—and in some cases injury and death.

A much bigger railway system in the states but still worth looking at for some perspective.

post-9891-0-01099900-1414732839_thumb.jp

A standard railway crossing in Thailand. Most have barriers of some kind, many have flashing lights and bells, all have a stop sign.

These are merely suggestions to people intent on beating the train.

More will die. It's natural selection at work.

It is rarely, if ever, the fault of the train driver. He is required to follow rules unlike the general public.

I met one of the ex-state railway guys that was selling the spare parts for the transmissions on these 50+ year old trains a few years ago and we quoted the special cast iron rings to him but never got any orders... Japanese copies of old american 1940? design - automatic transmissions on the engines.... anyway - not sure how much the railway makes in a year or not - but it sure seems to me that any money made dissappears into back pockets and am not sure when a new train car or engine has ever been bought - as they are real good and replacing all transmissions parts to exact 50 yr old spec.... so no need to buy anything new and following that logic means more back pocket money... have only been on 2 train rides in my 14 years here and no problems...also a few years ago an auzzie company we dealt with brought up an expensive track checking train car and did extensive track checkong all up and down thailand - laser checking for bad rails, ground, gravel the whole works...I think they spent 6 months here on contract - maybe a year going all over the tracks... but if Thailand cannot even get 50 year old slow trains to stay on the tracks and mark any crossings then it will be interesting to see how you implement billion dollar high speed tracks and trains...

here is what happens when a usa train hits a truck loaded with watermelons.... but don't think anyone died....the trains are a bit heavier and don't come off the rails...

even at a controlled crossing with lights

and some other train hits

and this is a good vid - crazy usa drivers trying to get across tracks... good vid....

The main reason why Thai trains so easily derail is because the run on a to narrow track width. A little unbalance and the top heavy train falls of the track

That's three in as many days, is it silly season for not looking at crossings?

Sad that at least four of the dead were totally innocent, what happened to the truck driver?

It's four, 3 on tuesday(Hua Hin Line, Pattaya line, Phitsanalok) and 1 today.

There used to be SRT railway crossing attendants at most level crossings. It sounds like they can't afford to pay them anymore.

Funny you say that, 2 I am familiar with are gone in the last few months.