Virgin Galactic spacecraft crash kills one

Lite Beer

Virgin Galactic spacecraft crash kills one

LOS ANGELES: -- At least one person is dead and another injured after Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo space tourism craft crashed in the California desert.

The craft was flying a manned test when it experienced what the company described as "a serious anomaly".

It was undergoing its first powered test flight since January over the Mojave Desert, north of Los Angeles.

Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson tweeted he was flying to California "to be with the team".

"Thoughts with all @virgingalactic & Scaled, thanks for all your messages of support," Sir Richard said.

Both pilots were employed by Scaled Composites. One was pronounced dead at the scene while the other was transported to a local hospital in an unknown condition.

Television images shot from a helicopter showed what appeared to be wreckage bearing the Virgin logo. Officials have said the debris is currently strewn over a large area.

In a statement, Virgin Galactic said the "vehicle suffered a serious anomaly resulting in the loss of SpaceShipTwo".

The aircraft that held the spaceship, known as White Knight 2, has landed safely, Virgin Galactic said.

Read More: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29857182

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-01

Sorry for the loss of life but Branson sank his yacht, crashed his balloon and now blew up his shuttle....

What next ?

Don't worry on that one. He'll be back soon with something novel to keep his name and face in the news. IMHO he's a compulsive attention seeker. Edited by joebrown
  • Like 2

Sorry for the loss of life but Branson sank his yacht, crashed his balloon and now blew up his shuttle....

What next ?

Don't worry on that one. He'll be back soon with something novel to keep his name and face in the news. IMHO he's a compulsive attention seeker.

The only other cock-up he could get involved in and still keep his face in the news is to join the RTP.

There goes 80% of VirginGalactic's future customers.

I doubt this will put off even 20% off their customers. IMHO People who want to go to space understand the risks. It is a once in a life time experience. Most who can afford it are of a certain age anyway. They have made their fortunes and are willing to take the risk.

• Like 2

Pilot dies as Virgin spacecraft crashes

CALIFORNIA: Virgin’s pioneering tourist-carrying spacecraft crashed on a test flight in California yesterday, killing a pilot and scattering debris across the desert – and raising questions about space tourism’s future.

1414817381_1-org.jpg
SpaceShipTwo in the hangar (centre) attached to WhiteKnightTwo. Photo Virgin Galactic/Mark Greenberg

Television images showed the wreckage of SpaceShipTwo, a test vehicle that flies to the edge of space, amid brush east of Mojave, a few hours’ drive northeast of Los Angeles.

“Space is hard and today was a tough day,” Virgin Galactic chief executive George Whitesides told reporters at a media briefing a few hours after the crash.

“When we have a mishap from the test community, we find the test community is very small... and we are human, and it hurts,” added Stuart Witt, head of the Mojave Air and Space Port.

The incident is a huge blow to British tycoon Richard Branson’s long-held dream of offering the first passenger space flights, which have been snapped up by Leonardo DiCaprio and other celebrities.

The Virgin chief said he was heading straight to the site, as the California Highway Patrol confirmed that one pilot had died and another parachuted to the ground but was seriously injured and taken to hospital.

“Thoughts with all @virgingalactic ... I’m flying to Mojave immediately to be with the team,” he wrote on Twitter. Whitesides later said that the globe-trotting tycoon was due in Mojave this morning (November 1).

The spaceship had been carried aloft on a bigger aircraft known as WhiteKnightTwo and then released for a test of its rocket engine above the Mojave desert, the latest in a series of tests.

Witt told reporters that WhiteKnightTwo took off at 9:20 am, and released SpaceShipTwo at an altitude of 13,700 meters, after 50 minutes of flight.

Two minutes later, Witt said it became clear as he watched from the space port that something had gone wrong, even though there was nothing obvious visually from the ground.

“If there was a huge explosion, I didn’t see it,” he said. “From my eyes and my ears, I detected nothing that appeared abnormal.”

WhiteKnightTwo went on to land safely.

The National Transportation Safety Board air safety agency said it was sending a team to the site of the crash.

The flight -- the 35th by SpaceShipTwo, according to Virgin Galactic’s Twitter feed -- involved the same configuration as previously, although the type of fuel was new, officials said.

More than 500 people have already reserved seats -- and paid a deposit on the $250,000 (B7.5 million)ticket price -- for a minutes-long suborbital flight on SpaceShipTwo, which can carry six passengers.

The SpaceShipTwo’s first commercial flight -- in which Branson and his family have vowed to travel -- has been repeatedly delayed, but before yesterday’s crash was tentatively forecast for the first half of 2015.

Leonardo DiCaprio and fellow actors Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore are among those already reported to have booked their places.

In May, DiCaprio auctioned off an invitation to join him on a trip into space, raising 700,000 euros (B26 million).

Private companies are rushing to fill the gap left by NASA, which ended its 30-year shuttle program in July with the completion of the final Atlantis mission to the International Space Station (ISS).

Analysts said the accident is a huge blow to the nascent industry.

“It’s a setback for the tourism industry,” said Marco Caceres, an analyst and director of space studies for the Teal Group, a defense and aerospace consultancy just outside of Washington, DC.

“You are not going to see any commercial space tourism flight next year or probably several years after that,” he said.

But Witt added that the commercial space industry, and all the young entrepreneurs working in it must move beyond the tragedy.

“My message to them is stay the course,” he said.

Whitesides echoed the sentiment, saying: “We’re going to get through it. The future rests in many ways on hard days like these.”

NASA voiced shock at the crash.

“While not a NASA mission, the pain of this tragedy will be felt by all the men and women who have devoted their lives to exploration,” said NASA Administrator Charles Bolden.

“Space flight is incredibly difficult, and we commend the passion of all in the space community who take on risk to push the boundaries of human achievement.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/pilot-dies-as-virgin-spacecraft-crashes-video-49446.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-11-01

Developing new frontiers in science rarely comes without danger and sacrafice. Its a good thing that the human curiosity is resilient.

Best wished for a complete recovery to the surviving pilot - I can't beileve anyone would have had survived falling to earth like the spaceship had after breaking up in flight.

It is risk takers like Branson and all those before him that made it possible for ordinary folk like us to benefit. The idea that he is just attention seeking is a ridiculous comment. He is innovating and pushing boundaries. People like him and his team don't give up and thank God for that.

Branson is an entrepreneur, and a very successful one to boot. I have no qualms with that, but he has a tendency to overpromote himself. I never saw Bill Gates dressed up as a high heeled trolley dolly complete with wig and make-up, did you? Edited by joebrown

It is risk takers like Branson and all those before him that made it possible for ordinary folk like us to benefit. The idea that he is just attention seeking is a ridiculous comment. He is innovating and pushing boundaries. People like him and his team don't give up and thank God for that.

Branson is an entrepreneur, and a very successful one to boot. I have no qualms with that, but he has a tendency to overpromote himself. I never saw Bill Gates dressed up as a high heeled trolley dolly complete with wig and make-up, did you?

At least he had the guts to carry out his promise.

He had a bet with Tony Fernandes about which team would finish highest in the 2010 Formula 1 Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi.

Do you think Fernandes would have kept his part of the bargain if he lost?

Anyway, back to topic. This is a sad development and together with the rocket, that exploded, while carrying supplies to the space station is a serious setback for private space travel. I think NASA were relying on private enterprises to take over a lot of the space travel, but it takes time and a lot of money for the companies to reach that stage.

I wish Virgin all the best as Richard Branson has always been one of my idols since he started Virgin Records.

• Like 1

"vehicle suffered a serious anomaly resulting in the loss of SpaceShipTwo"

Why can't they just say, "we don't have a clue what happened".

It sounds like engine did a hard start after briefly flaming out. Not a good scenario. This stuff happens when pushing the limits of technology. RIP.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Branson is an entrepreneur, and a very successful one to boot. I have no qualms with that, but he has a tendency to overpromote himself. I never saw Bill Gates dressed up as a high heeled trolley dolly complete with wig and make-up, did you?

.........and as a result he and his company made the front page of ever major newspaper, how much would that have cost to buy. I sat next to him for 9 hours coming back from the caribbean. He is an awesome down to earth man who is a real pioneer. He is loved by the people that work for him, because he truly cares for them. This is a huge setback for commercial space travel and I hope they can establish the cause quickly - but first time with a new fuel......mmm! RIP the crew member and hoping the other makes a full recovery.

The Russians do not seem to have a problem getting into orbit, tried and tested Russian tech no, if it ain't broke, don,t fix it.

Russia already has taken tourists into space, the first African millionaire paid for his ticket into space a long time ago with Russia Air.

He returned safely to Africa.

The Russians do not seem to have a problem getting into orbit, tried and tested Russian tech no, if it ain't broke, don,t fix it.

Russia already has taken tourists into space, the first African millionaire paid for his ticket into space a long time ago with Russia Air.

He returned safely to Africa.

Are you sure about that? This article seems to suggest Russia had two similar failures this year, the last of which occurred in May.

This stuff happens to everyone. Rocket science ain't easy stuff! Lol, you seem to shoot from the hip quit often and are just about always wrong.

-------

May 16, 2014

ALMATY (Reuters) - A Russian rocket carrying a $275 million telecommunications satellite failed and burned up shortly after launch on Friday, the latest in a series of setbacks for Russia's once-pioneering space industry.

It was the second failure for Russia's workhorse Proton-M rocket in less than a year, and the second time that it had failed to deliver a European satellite intended to provide advanced telecoms and Internet access to remote parts of Russia, after the last one crashed shortly after launch in 2011.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0DW0PD20140516?irpc=932

Snipped from the pprune site -

Sunday PM NTSB briefing:

- N2O oxidizer tank found intact

- SpaceShipTwo appear to have had an "uncommanded feather"

- In order to feather, normal procedures involve two steps: 1) co-pilot moves "feather lock" lever to unlock; 2) a second feather lever must then be operated to actually initiate the feather

- Procedure calls for "feather lock" lever to remain in "locked" position until Mach 1.4 due to aerodynamic forces.However the "copilot" unlocked the lever at around Mach 1.0. (reason unknown).

- The second lever was never operated. An "uncommanded feather" took place approximately 2 seconds after the feather unlock.

- After the uncommanded feather, SpaceShipTwo subsequently disintegrated.

- No determination of cause at this point

When you're pushing the boundaries -- there will typically be setbacks.... but there are also potentially huge paybacks. The same technology which can get a few rich space tourists into low earth orbit for space tourism, can also get commercial assets into low earth orbit at much lower costs. People that push these envelopes (like the pilots) know that they are doing risky work -- and take that risk -- which has always been lucky for us. Without people like this europeans would still probably be worried about falling the edge of the earth :o The world needs more entrepreneurs like this.....

Snipped from the pprune site -

Sunday PM NTSB briefing:

- N2O oxidizer tank found intact

- SpaceShipTwo appear to have had an "uncommanded feather"

- In order to feather, normal procedures involve two steps: 1) co-pilot moves "feather lock" lever to unlock; 2) a second feather lever must then be operated to actually initiate the feather

- Procedure calls for "feather lock" lever to remain in "locked" position until Mach 1.4 due to aerodynamic forces.However the "copilot" unlocked the lever at around Mach 1.0. (reason unknown).

- The second lever was never operated. An "uncommanded feather" took place approximately 2 seconds after the feather unlock.

- After the uncommanded feather, SpaceShipTwo subsequently disintegrated.

- No determination of cause at this point

Pilot error is certainly an easier problem to solve. Easy to diagnosis issue as I am sure they were monitoring all systems and controls.

You cant go into space using an supped up aeroplane what a pointless exercise. Man has too many problems to fix down here without even considering venturing out into the stars and people with the cash to do this are just bored with their millions and should use it for better purposes like what Bill Gates does.