Creative grounding...

Gulfsailor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's better than no 'earth' right?

no, it's not.

Indeed, it's exactly the same as no earth, with the disadvantage that whoever did it thinks it's now safe sad.png

but wouldn't it work if one plants a tree in that cup who's roots will eventually reach real "earthing" earth? huh.png

Why are you guys laughing about this photo so much? Apparently, my wife did the same, when my ground wire for the water heater in one bathroom broke off, took a 1.5 liter water bottle, filled it with sand and sicked the cable in.

Then I found out that the cable was already gone for two months, but nobody told me about it, as I'm always using the other bathroom.

I should have made a photo......w00t.gif

WHat can i say dude, hell if they can confuse earth with an electrical circuit given their education system, they conceptually in the ball park.... now if we can just stop westerners learning electricity is the movement of electrons which happens at the speed of light.............meh apples and pigs

Note::

The IEEE Green Book, however, presents a
convincing argument for the use of the term ground in preference to earth. An electrical
ground need not necessarily be anywhere near the earth (meaning soil). For a person
working in the top floor of a high-rise building, electrical ground is far above the earth
Edited by jcisco

To be honest neither 'ground' nor 'earth' is a particularly good word for the 'general structural mass' that we connect to (think aircraft or the ISS, they still have 'ground' even though it's nowhere near), but we're stuck with them.

I admit to using the terms interchangeably often in the same paragraph (wrong I know).

Now if we can just stop westerners learning electricity is the movement of electrons which happens at the speed of light.............meh apples and pigs

The electric field does propagate down the wire at the velocity of light but the electrons themselves move very slowly.

The actual velocity of electrons through a conductor is measured as an average speed called drift speed. This is because individual electrons do not continue through the conductor in straight line paths, but instead they move in a random zig-zag motion, changing directions as they collide with atoms in the conductor. Thus, the actual drift speed of these electrons through the conductor is very small in the direction of current.

For example, the drift speed through a copper wire of cross-sectional area 3.00 x 10-6 m2, with a current of 10 A will be approximately 2.5 x 10-4 m/s or about a quarter of a milimeter per second.

So how does an electrical device turn on near instantaneously? If you think of a copper wire as a pipe completely filled with water, then forcing a drop of water in one end will result in a drop at the other end being pushed out very quickly. This is analogous to initiating an electric field in a conductor.

Source- http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae69.cfm

When I first moved in here I wondered why there were bits of flimsy wire going through the walls into the concrete. I don't know much about electricity so it took me a week or two of getting mild shocks ('don't be a baby, it's normal') of various bits of equipment to pay for a rewiring of the house.

To be honest neither 'ground' nor 'earth' is a particularly good word for the 'general structural mass' that we connect to (think aircraft or the ISS, they still have 'ground' even though it's nowhere near), but we're stuck with them.

I admit to using the terms interchangeably often in the same paragraph (wrong I know).

Any idea how to check a "ground", or "earth" cable, if it's grounded? Got a professional voltmeter, but forgot how to check it.

What's the easiest way to find out that the cable I want to connect my second water heater unit to is grounded?

Thanks a

What's the fastest way to check with a voltmeter, if the cable I want to connect my second water heater to is grounded?

I knew how to do it about 30 years ago, but it's gone. Thanks a lot in advance.

You should see about 220V AC between the live and your 'ground' and close to zero between neutral and the 'ground'. At least that gives an idea that it's grounded but doesn't give much hint as to how good the ground actually is.

If you connect a small (15W) conventional lamp between live and the 'ground', if you have an RCD it should trip, if no RCD the lamp should light, either event indicatres that the ground is 'reasonable', beyond that with no special test gear is very difficult.

• Like 1