Growing avocado in Thailand

namdocmai

Hi growing from seeds can take 15 years if at all The only safe place to bye grafted trees is from Aust BUT they are very expensive Next month I hope to go to Korat to try & find them there

Kindness chook

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes grafted avocado in thailand is expensive, also all other rare tree's are expensive....even a big leelawadee costs 20-30k baht in bkk.

But it is possible to grow avocado from seed and have fruit within 3-5 years. Plenty of evidence on internet. Indonesian vendors also sell them, they fruit several t imes a year.

I am currently grafting and will have plenty of Avocado trees for sale in the next month or two. Some are from a 20+ year old tree that I have just taken over but as this year was the first time it hasn't fruited due to the crazy heat, I am not sure if it is Peterson or Buccaneer. The price will be Bt600 plus shipping. The others are regular Haas at Bt750.

One thing that I set out to find this year was how many metres above sea level an Avocado tree needs to be in order to fruit without grafting. I have been up and down many mountains around Chiang Mai searching for trees and talking to owners and last week a local Avocado grafter confirmed my conclusion that you need to be above 500 metres.

I have just acquired some land at 500m so I'm taking my experiment a step further. I am planting some 'ungrafted', some top grafted and some side grafted. The side grafted ones will be of particular interest by observing whether the main tree fruits for the first time in the same year as the grafted branch. Let's hope we all live long enough to find out the results ;-)

I am currently grafting and will have plenty of Avocado trees for sale in the next month or two. Some are from a 20+ year old tree that I have just taken over but as this year was the first time it hasn't fruited due to the crazy heat, I am not sure if it is Peterson or Buccaneer. The price will be Bt600 plus shipping. The others are regular Haas at Bt750.

One thing that I set out to find this year was how many metres above sea level an Avocado tree needs to be in order to fruit without grafting. I have been up and down many mountains around Chiang Mai searching for trees and talking to owners and last week a local Avocado grafter confirmed my conclusion that you need to be above 500 metres.

I have just acquired some land at 500m so I'm taking my experiment a step further. I am planting some 'ungrafted', some top grafted and some side grafted. The side grafted ones will be of particular interest by observing whether the main tree fruits for the first time in the same year as the grafted branch. Let's hope we all live long enough to find out the results ;-)

Hello DumbFarang.

Me too.

I live in Isaan where it's hot, cold and very windy (at different times of the year).

I would like to buy some of your trees, but will they survive where I live?

If so, I could drive up to your place to pick the trees up, but I have a Honda SUV and not sure 5 trees would fit in.

Any ideas?

Hi DumbFarang

Thanks for all the hard work you have done with Avos

Where abouts are you & can you please give me a call on 0874463665

I live near Surin in Nth/Est Thailand

Kindness

chook

Hi Carlyai

It is not high on my 2 do list as of now but I will talk with the boss but I was thinking around Sep/Oct pluss I need to do some reserch on the address in Korat first

You have my PH NO in my last post so give me a call to talk about it

Kindness

chook

Guys, I am in Samoeng, Chiang Mai. I have some older trees in Sakon Nakorn but they have already been planted in the ground. Let me check how many there are and get back to you. You'd need to dig them up yourselves if that's OK? Not a big deal in rainy season ;-)

Edited by DumbFalang

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think you 'need' altitude, everything seems to do better, at same latitude, in Hawaii, but we have cooler breezes, I live at 4,000 ft, some beat without grafting, but it's hit or miss.. grafting is the key for consistency.. Aloha

• 3 weeks later...
On 8 July 2016 at 0:02 AM, fruitman said:

A while ago i found a vendor who had "Mackel Madamia" avocadotree's for sale, grafted. She said it was a variety from Africa which she imported.

Has anybody ever heard of something like that?

I bought one because it's very hard to find grafted avocadotree's in Thailand and it grows fast. Also she sold me a pinkerton avocadotree.

"Mackel Madamia" .... That sounds like a Thai way of mispronouncing "macadamia". Are you sure you bought an avocado tree? If you could post a photo of the leaves, it should be easy to tell. 

1 hour ago, JungleBiker said:

"Mackel Madamia" .... That sounds like a Thai way of mispronouncing "macadamia". Are you sure you bought an avocado tree? If you could post a photo of the leaves, it should be easy to tell. 

You have to be a very good avocadoexpert to tell the variety from the leaves.

I googled for that name last year and found info about a lady in South Africa with that name and she had an avocado farm. No idea how it ended up here but i bought it at the thailand mega show in impact muang thong last year, that show is also going on right now.

I'm sure it's an avocadotree, even grafted it on my cocktail avocadotree and grows well.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

You have to be a very good avocadoexpert to tell the variety from the leaves.

Yes, I meant look at a photo to see if it is a macadamia or avocado, not which variety of avocado.

Anyhow, you've confirmed it's an avocado. Strange name for the variety! 

2 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

Yes, I meant look at a photo to see if it is a macadamia or avocado, not which variety of avocado.

Anyhow, you've confirmed it's an avocado. Strange name for the variety! 

I have loads of fruittree's and the issue in Thailand is that they never know variety names. Especially for avocado they call everything just avocado and have no idea at all that there are thousands of different varieties.

This one was called mackel madamia, i even let the vendor write it down on the stick , she tried to show me a website on her phone about them but couldn't find it fast enough...anyway i bought it like i always do. Big chance i 'll never see it again for sale. There must be plenty of varieties which can fruit well in Thailand (even in BKK) but you just have to be able to buy/find them.

In Indonesia they have avocadotree's which fruit several times a year. Wished i had one of those, a grafted tree that is.

• 2 weeks later...
On Tuesday, November 04, 2014 at 10:52 AM, nickcar said:

I have been growing avaocados in Nakhon Nayok using this information. Grafted tress puchased from pak chong. They have been growing fine and i use the info from the same document you quote. Earlier this year ate my first avacadoes from the trees after less than 3 years. (Only 4 fruits)

Hi Nickar! I've only now started reading this thread from beginning to end and came across your contribution. 

Back then, in Nov. 2014, you said you purchased grafted avocados from Pak Chong. May I ask

1) what avocados did you get from them? Hass by any chance? 

2) What's the fruit like? And 

3) Would you mind posting the tel. number of the place in Pak Chong? 

Thanking you in advance. 

On 14/01/2017 at 4:21 PM, djayz said:

Hi Nickar! I've only now started reading this thread from beginning to end and came across your contribution. 

Back then, in Nov. 2014, you said you purchased grafted avocados from Pak Chong. May I ask

1) what avocados did you get from them? Hass by any chance? 

2) What's the fruit like? And 

3) Would you mind posting the tel. number of the place in Pak Chong? 

Thanking you in advance. 

1- peterson and Booth7

2- i still have had little fruit, 2-4 per year. They say it is too hot here. What i have had is very good. (I am also a bit lazy looking after the trees)

3     044 311 796

cheers

nick

4 minutes ago, nickcar said:

1- peterson and Booth7

2- i still have had little fruit, 2-4 per year. They say it is too hot here. What i have had is very good. (I am also a bit lazy looking after the trees)

3     044 311 796

cheers

nick

Thank you very much Nick. Much appreciate it. 

9 hours ago, nickcar said:

1- peterson and Booth7

3     044 311 796

cheers

nick

I thought booth7 is a west-indian avocado so can fruit all over thailand.

But i have a big tree of it and it still didn't fruit, never, not even bloom. And it's a grafted tree.

After how many years should a grafted cado bloom in Thailand? I'm already thinking of replacing it.