A few pictures of some Pattaya 'ruins'

MrWorldwide

I realise that most wont share my morbid interest in the 'cracks in the plaster', but we all remember the abandoned skycrapers dotted throughout central BKK in the wake of the currency crisis - central Pattaya doesnt have gigantic hulks looming over the city but there are ruins nonetheless.

In the course of another thread, someone mentioned an abandoned bar complex behind the shops in the middle of the soi - many here will have taken the shortcut through the massive vacant block it sits on to get from Buakhow to Second Road, but I was more interested in taking a couple of shots of the MiT side. I ate at a large outdoor Thai restaurant on this site no more than 5-6 weeks ago and drank at the bar next to it, so you can imagine my surprise to see it all levelled.

post-172716-0-71967600-1415084300_thumb.

Moving further into the Soi from Buakhow, the old 'ruins' can be more clearly seen through the trees - someone obviously had high hopes for these two-storey bars. The trees do a reasonable job of obscuring them from the casual visitor but they are much more obvious now that the restaurant and bar are gone.

post-172716-0-63845200-1415084562_thumb.

post-172716-0-47911300-1415084578_thumb.

Stickman has been banging on for years about the bars being pushed further back toward Third Road and beyond - it will be interesting to see how the bar complex opposite the newly vacant site above fares over the coming 12 months. Whatever you think of the bars and their occupants, my experience has been that most are a considerably more welcome sight than many of the vacant blocks in Pattaya which have become de-facto dumping grounds and rat dormitories.

I also mentioned that the Dave Club was no more - this was confirmed by a nearby business owner today who indicated that the owner had health problems. Prime spot for a condo and arguably one of the leafiest Sois in an concrete jungle strip of downtown Pattaya.

post-172716-0-17516500-1415087093_thumb.

Nothing better on a hot day in Pattaya than having large, shady trees to shelter you from the sun.

post-172716-0-07219100-1415087164_thumb.

Edited by MrWorldwide

And finally, a site that I believe could be so much more - preferably in a park-like setting accessible to the public. Not sure if there is a drainage issue here but given that its cheek-by-jowl with a block of condos and Central Festival, and directly opposite the beach, I'm mystified as to why someone hasnt developed this block.

post-172716-0-61975000-1415087432_thumb.

There's work to be done and weeds like the Australian eucalypts need to be torn out, but nothing a crew with the right gear couldnt sort inside a week or so. Replant with trees and shrubs endemic to southern Thailand and this could easily be a showpiece, barring the aforementioned drainage issues - even if does currently have issues in this regard, engineers are routinely asked to sort much larger problems on development sites. I would hate to see it completely replaced by more concrete, but it's sad to see that people throw rubbish over the fence - hopefully there are bigger and better things in store for this site in the future.

And finally, a site that I believe could be so much more - preferably in a park-like setting accessible to the public. Not sure if there is a drainage issue here but given that its cheek-by-jowl with a block of condos and Central Festival, and directly opposite the beach, I'm mystified as to why someone hasnt developed this block.

attachicon.gifbeach road1.jpg

There's work to be done and weeds like the Australian eucalypts need to be torn out, but nothing a crew with the right gear couldnt sort inside a week or so. Replant with trees and shrubs endemic to southern Thailand and this could easily be a showpiece, barring the aforementioned drainage issues - even if does currently have issues in this regard, engineers are routinely asked to sort much larger problems on development sites. I would hate to see it completely replaced by more concrete, but it's sad to see that people throw rubbish over the fence - hopefully there are bigger and better things in store for this site in the future.

You're a bit late: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764945-any-info-on-the-building-going-up-next-to-vt6-in-pattaya

attachicon.gifbeach road1.jpg

You're a bit late: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/764945-any-info-on-the-building-going-up-next-to-vt6-in-pattaya

OK - so they're finally going to develop the site - fantastic. i just hope they can keep some of the greenery - and I still dont understand why it has taken developers this long to move into a prime site like that.

Thanks for the pics, cloghead - those do look a lot more like an archeological dig than the MiT 'ruins' and if the doomsayers are correct re Jomtien condo developments you might have a bit more photojournalism waiting for you over the next couple of years.

• Like 1

OK - so they're finally going to develop the site - fantastic. i just hope they can keep some of the greenery - and I still dont understand why it has taken developers this long to move into a prime site like that.

If you look at the map you will see that they are not developing the area immediately on the beach-front, or most of the area that gives onto 2nd Rd. But I would expect the area on Beach Rd to become a low-rise hotel or shopping area like everything else along there. Green is nice, of course, but brings in no cash.

The delay? I imagine it was high asking prices for the land, or ownership squabbles. Most undeveloped plots here seem to be due to one or the other of those two.

• Like 1

When you mentioned a few pics is Pattaya's ruins....I was expecting to see the human ones.

Is that something you really WANT to see ? Given that Pattaya One is now at the point where it's reporting on 'Drunk man requires Police assistance', I dont think we need to go there. What I might be interested in seeing is photos of some of the old-timer bar staff from as little as ten years ago vs now - they didnt always 'wok bar' but its not hard to see that their time in the bar has taken it's toll. I've had my share of hangovers here - the thought of having to go back to the scene of the crime and being forced to smile at the next person who offers me a drink is repulsive in the extreme. <deleted> hate hangovers ;)

It's going to get worse- have a house near to a huge new development ( named after a very pretty series of islands beginning with M) .

Site is deserted - no work what so ever, surrounding area filling up with dumped rubbish- the future of Jomtien- abandoned ruins.

I hope not, and hope once the crazy projects are finished , the place might be cleaned up a bit ( not holding my breath )

• Like 1

It's going to get worse- have a house near to a huge new development ( named after a very pretty series of islands beginning with M) .

Site is deserted - no work what so ever, surrounding area filling up with dumped rubbish- the future of Jomtien- abandoned ruins.

I hope not, and hope once the crazy projects are finished , the place might be cleaned up a bit ( not holding my breath )

Listening to a (supposed) big shot developer earlier on today,in conversation with another guy stated huge developments are on hold,because of a downturn. Easy to see,who the hell has any money these days? minimum wage reigns supreme out in the west. Sure loads of Indians wandering around,Japs etc. not spending.

Just get the Baht down,things may happen then

MrWorldwide,

Since you have a morbid interest in the 'cracks in the plaster', you might want to check out the old Batman Building AKA Batman Disco.

Here are a few pics:

post-52310-0-41167800-1415211792_thumb.j post-52310-0-07597800-1415211783_thumb.j

post-52310-0-59923200-1415212511_thumb.j post-52310-0-30258600-1415212509_thumb.j post-52310-0-85041500-1415212505_thumb.j

post-52310-0-59551900-1415212701_thumb.j post-52310-0-97971900-1415212703_thumb.j

post-52310-0-71606200-1415212706_thumb.j post-52310-0-67540200-1415212708_thumb.j post-52310-0-78695000-1415212710_thumb.j

It's located at the end of Soi Batman (Pattaya Thai Soi 2). It's referred to as JK Disco on the maps.

There are a few different stories as to it's demise.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pics, cloghead - those do look a lot more like an archeological dig than the MiT 'ruins' and if the doomsayers are correct re Jomtien condo developments you might have a bit more photojournalism waiting for you over the next couple of years.

Only a nutcase would post photos of America and say they were Jomtien. The Photos are of Ft Macomb Louisiana.

• Like 2

You dont have to go far along Jomtien Beach Road to find ruins:

http://goo.gl/maps/EjDWv

http://goo.gl/maps/VVh1h

http://goo.gl/maps/QpwsI

and a bit further on by the Ambassador:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZzQQe

But for big ruins Rayong is the place to go:

http://goo.gl/maps/uFNN4

and there is a cracking derelict beach-front resort in Ban Chang which sadly doesnt appear on Google street view. It's a sort of modern Angkor Wat.

Edited by KittenKong

Only a nutcase would post photos of America and say they were Jomtien. The Photos are of Ft Macomb Louisiana.

OK - I thought they looked odd for Thai 'ruins' but I go to Jomtien very rarely - as noted earlier the photos have been removed and at least one nutcase appears to have left the building. Overall, I'm happy to see more photos - thought this thread would simply sink without trace.

You dont have to go far along Jomtien Beach Road to find ruins:

http://goo.gl/maps/EjDWv

http://goo.gl/maps/VVh1h

http://goo.gl/maps/QpwsI

and a bit further on by the Ambassador:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZzQQe

But for big ruins Rayong is the place to go:

http://goo.gl/maps/uFNN4

and there is a cracking derelict beach-front resort in Ban Chang which sadly doesnt appear on Google street view. It's a sort of modern Angkor Wat.

Never travelled so fast down Jomtien Beach Road, feel a sick after all that zooming about.