US mid-terms: First polling stations close

webfact

US mid-terms: First polling stations close

(BBC) Polls have closed in some eastern US states for the mid-term elections which will decide who controls the Senate and pave the way for the 2016 race for the White House.

Preliminary results are expected soon.

The Republicans, who already control the House of Representatives, need to gain just six seats to take the Senate.

Meanwhile the Democrats are battling to stay ahead as President Barack Obama's approval ratings fall to the lowest they have been since he was elected.

Many analysts predict a Republican victory as Mr Obama's popularity rate has failed to climb much above 40%, despite recent improvements in the economy.

"This is a referendum on the president," Republican senator and potential 2016 presidential candidate Rand Paul told NBC's Meet the Press at the weekend.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29888904

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-05

Americans believe that politicians need to be reminded occasionally that they have to go to the back of the line just like everyone else. In theory, there are no elitists or privileged classes in America (unless of course you are stinking rich or a hot babe).

US mid-terms: Republicans make early Senate gains

(BBC) The Republican Party is making solid gains in the US Senate, where they need just six seats to take control of the chamber, initial results in the US mid-term elections show.

The party has won five Senate seats - in Colorado, Arkansas, Montana, South Dakota and West Virginia.

The Republican Party leader in the Senate, Mitch McConnell, has retained his seat in Kentucky.

The Republicans are also projected to strengthen their hold on the House.

One of the key early results came in Kentucky, where Mr McConnell fended off Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes, positioning himself to lead the chamber should the Republicans win the majority.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29888904

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-05

"This is a referendum on the president,"

Sen. Mitch McConnell handily won reelection over the democrat that refused to admit that she voted for Obama. Good stuff. clap2.gif

So, Ulysses G., you are familar with McConnell's record and connections and you stand by the idea that his re-election was a positive? Hmm, I'm betting the opposite. What is the Chinese curse? "May you live in interesting times".

Indeed, let's see what happens with both U.S. houses of Congress, plus a conservative SCOTUS do for U.S. domestically and internationally during the next two years. I state at this point, I am an American with DNA ties to the time previous to the American Revolution but I reserve U.S. policy support until, as a citizen, I determine each Republican proposal. I have real doubts as to the positive results of this election but, as a liberal, am always open to adjusting my view as new evidence is presented and considered. Prediction - the Republican Party will have internal rough going (a saving grace IMHO).

I don't really follow US politics, but many don't seem happy with Obama. Then again, they aren't happy with politicians overall. Can't blame them.

Agreed. Funny thing is that Obama still has a higher approval rating than Reagan or "W" had at this point in their second term. Ha! I'm American and I don't understand U.S. politics, or I should say the American electorate.