Bangkok enacts Regulation prohibiting lantern floating on Loy Krathong Day

webfact

Bangkok enacts Regulation prohibiting lantern floating on Loy Krathong Day

BANGKOK, 5 November 2014 (NNT) – M.R. Sukhumbhand Paribatra, Bangkok Governor, has signed a Bangkok regulation which prohibits sale and floating of krathong lanterns in Bangkok on Loy Krathong Day, November 6, during 6 p.m. to 5 a.m. next morning in order to prevent public hazard caused by the fired lantern. Those who do not abide by the regulation will be imprisoned up to three months or fined not exceeding 6,000 baht or both.

The regulation is enacted in line with the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Act B.E.2550. The lantern floating is one of the most popular activities on Loy Krathong Day every year. However, fire in the lantern can be dangerous to life and property of both participants and communities around the event. Significantly, Bangkok is the area where numerous important places are located such as the Grand Palace, ancient remains, temples, and government offices. These places are sensitive to such a danger.

Moreover, Bangkok has declared thirteen districts around Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports as safety zones for aviation. Therefore, no floating lanterns should be lit up in these districts. Six of them are Prawet, Nong Chok, Suan Luang, Min Buri, Khlong Sam Wa and Lat Krabang, all of which are around Suvarnabhumi Airport. The rest are the districts of Don Mueang, Bang Khen, Bang Sue, Lat Phrao, Dusit, Phaya Thai and Chatuchak located around Don Mueang Airport.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-11-05 footer_n.gif

it is. every morning i get awoken by the smell of burning plastic bags and polystyrene containers. Children play around the pyres and love the smell.

no wonder the country hospitals are full of people with respiratoty problems, that no one is able to cure,

Thanks Thailand for being so backwards and telling your people that burning plastis trash is absolutely OK

Times, they are a changing, and I think that is about anywhere in the world.

The problem with laser pointers is especially troubling, I hope the Thai authorities

keep the problem people worried. In some places on the world there are stupid people

who have enough money to buy the quad copters and are flying them near airports

near flight paths for arriving and departing jets. I am not sure what a floating

lantern would do by getting ingested into a jet engine, but I hope I am not on board

if one ever does. I seen what a small flock of sparrows could do, they took out one of the two engines

on a B737 jet, the co pilot managed to get the jets stopped before going off the end of the runway

and these are tiny birds, smaller than those black birds you see on the beaches in Thailand.

I worked for 34 years at some airports in Canada, and seen a few jets with one engine

damaged by mostly birds, the pilots were very affected by these events.

Play safe and stay away from the airports! That is the advise I see from these news reports, and I agree

Stargeezer

I'm guessing it is to thwart any potential terrorist attack. Might sound extreme, but why else would such a measure be taken on a popular holiday?

Nothing to do with terrorism, it's an aviation hazard and pilots have been complaining about this for years (there's been a few stories recently too), they are scared also of the fire risk of lanterns landing and setting fire to buildings, hence the restrictions around the Grand Palace etc. Simple.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So sending garbage down the river or up in the air is still ok.

This is the holiday I hate the most in Thailand right after Songkran. Too many people polluting the rivers and klongs.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is the holiday I hate the most in Thailand right after Songkran. Too many people polluting the rivers and klongs.

Two important events in Thai culture and tradition., so why did u stay here, you obviously don't fit in.

But then you probably complained non-stop about everything where you come from too.

Two important events in Thai culture and tradition., so why did u stay here, you obviously don't fit in.

But then you probably complained non-stop about everything where you come from too.

I love it.... Madam dresses in her beautiful traditional dress and looks magnificent, as do most of the other ladies we know... You float a lantern, one that she usually makes her self have a feed, and have a few drinks with friends..... What's not to like?