Planning holiday in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia

RandomSand

Hi folks,

My family are planning a holiday (vacation) lasting several months and I'm looking for advice on the following countries:

Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia.

I have suggested flying into KUL or SIN and then then heading over to East Malaysia (Borneo) to experience the wildlife before hopping down to Jakarta for a tour through Java ending up on Bali for a flight onwards to Aus/NZ for the next leg on their holiday.

I wondered what any members here though about this region (Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia) and maybe you can share some tips and suggestions ?

Cheers.

Several months is a long time for a trip like that, unless you are really planning to go slow. In Borneo, are you talking about the places near Kuching? Easy flight from KL over there on AA.

For something really interesting, head up to Miri and do the Head Hunter Trail. Quite the trip. And the caves are very impressive in the national park.

I love Bali. Easy to spend several weeks in various spots around the islands. Maybe even head over to the Gili's?

• Like 1

Several months is a long time for a trip like that, unless you are really planning to go slow. In Borneo, are you talking about the places near Kuching? Easy flight from KL over there on AA.

For something really interesting, head up to Miri and do the Head Hunter Trail. Quite the trip. And the caves are very impressive in the national park.

I love Bali. Easy to spend several weeks in various spots around the islands. Maybe even head over to the Gili's?

Thanks for the "Borneo" suggestion. I think the schedule allows for a 3 to 4 week period starting in KL and ending in Bali.

Has anyone done treks & excursions in both Borneo-Malaysia AND Borneo-Indonesia (Kalimantan) ?

I see both countries are selling the "Borneo" experience.

Look into Manado in Indonesia if you like diving. 3 hour flight from Singapore and I think it's a fantastic place and totally not tourist based. Once you get there accommodation, food and diving costs are very cheap and you can snorkel for days around the marine park. I was lucky enough to work there for a couple of years.

Bali is great, taxi to Ubud an than rent a car, gas is cheap

Sumatra is really nice lake toba

Penang a great small walkable city

Cameron highlands is shit ( was there last year)

Genting is better

Singapore, yep stay on Sentosa if u have young kids, they'll love it, otherwise stay in town

• Like 2

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Bali is great, taxi to Ubud an than rent a car, gas is cheap

Sumatra is really nice lake toba

Penang a great small walkable city

Cameron highlands is shit ( was there last year)

Genting is better

Singapore, yep stay on Sentosa if u have young kids, they'll love it, otherwise stay in town

I think the Highlands are appreciated more by Malaysians or Farangs who live in Malaysia. After spending Months living in hot, grid-locked KL or Penang its a pleasant break having a few days in the Highlands. For a holiday Penang is much better on the weekend , they close a lot of Georgetown down to traffic on a Sunday and you can be free to walk about and admire the colonial style town, Traffic is awful during the week

Edited by ExPratt
  • Like 2

when was the last time u went up to Cameroon highlands?

the road is dirty, traffic is really bad

the hills have been covered with Strawberry plantations

everywhere full of Chinese tourists

Once--- never again

although the drive from there over to the east coast and Kota Bharu was fantastic.

• Like 1

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

when was the last time u went up to Cameroon highlands?

the road is dirty, traffic is really bad

the hills have been covered with Strawberry plantations

everywhere full of Chinese tourists

Once--- never again

although the drive from there over to the east coast and Kota Bharu was fantastic.

Not been for a few years , as I mentioned though its more for Malaysians on a weekend break. I went through for Kota Bharu from Penang , through Kulim and then Grik. Grik is a strange place in Malaysia, most places it is pretty clear who is Malay , Chinese or Indian. Because Grik was cut off and in the middle of nowhere a lot of the Malaysians who made it out there became a bit friendly with The Orang Asli and settled down with them. As a result none of the people there look anything like Town or City Malaysians

Edited by ExPratt