Need a really powerful notebook cooler

telstrareg

If you have seen a really TURBO notebook stand/cooler around Chiang Mai, let me know.

These days I'm running the AC more for the comfort of my Notebook than myself. The main culprit is Firefox. I've tried Chrome. It doesn't hit the CPU anywhere near as much as Firefox but Chrome just doesn't have the features I need.

Also check that the built in fans are actually still working, and it's not clogged up with dust..

It shouldn't really need a dedicated cooler, especially not for a little web browsing.

Unfortunately Firefox is a CPU pig. Plus this laptap has too much grunt for it's size - that's usually a problem you want to have. I had the internals cleaned about a year ago and they were almost spotless.

If I don't have a fan blowing on it, it will shut itself down.

Edited by telstrareg

I've seen multi-fan Cooler Master laptop fans around ICON Plaza. Check around the shops there, especially the one in the back left corner where they have a lot of gaming items. The building next door has a gaming shop to on the right side near the back, you can't miss it. Seen the fans there too a while ago.

• Like 2

Bought a "OKER" twin fan set up - with blue LED,s !! , from Pantip Plaza for about 450 Baht . Shop to the left of the escalator on 2nd floor have them at the front of the shop display , at floor level.Also bought additional OKER X9 speakers from same shop ,250 Baht. No problems with either. EDIT ; Try not to use on your lap , as clothes can interupt the air flow. Use on hard tray or table.

Edited by ktm jeff
  • Like 1

I've seen multi-fan Cooler Master laptop fans around ICON Plaza. Check around the shops there, especially the one in the back left corner where they have a lot of gaming items. The building next door has a gaming shop to on the right side near the back, you can't miss it. Seen the fans there too a while ago.

I bought one of these from Pantip Plaza, it has 3 fans which you can move/adjust to where you need them to be. It does the job really well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Tokay and TFC. I went and bought one today at the ICON center. It wasn't cheap (B1400) but it's worth it. I love the design. If only those fans spun a little faster I'd give it a 10 out of 10 but I guess there is only so much juice you can get out of a USB port.

I have the exact same problem so checked out google reviews to find the most efficient cooling fan, but also read that the laptop runs much cooler without the battery, just on mains juice. Works for me but may be inconvenient for you.

But scary to think of the damage continuous overheating can cause and thats a good reminder to backup important stuff that a crash can wipe out.

• Like 1

Yep, Firefox is a dog. Your machine sounds a bit naff, though, it's not a Sony is it?

You could always get a 9v external PSU, connect to USB hub to power the fan. However, it's possible they come built in with some kind of RPM limiter, so all you'd do is heat the fan motor with the extra zubs. How about an ice pack under the fan? whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Tokay and TFC. I went and bought one today at the ICON center. It wasn't cheap (B1400) but it's worth it. I love the design. If only those fans spun a little faster I'd give it a 10 out of 10 but I guess there is only so much juice you can get out of a USB port.

u can buy a USB to 240v electric plug which will save your laptop having to provide the power and may spin faster

i use wooden blocks under the four corners of my laptop giving about 11/2" of clearancee

i then have a 6" Mamaru 240v fan blasting from the side of the laptop under and over the keyboard

make sure u vacuum out the inlet and outlet of the laptop fan duct

works a treat,nothing kills a laptop quicker than overheating

post-155264-0-32397500-1415893546_thumb.

Found a very good, strong, well-designed 17 inch dual fan Targus 'Lap Chill Mat' today for 770 baht and so far my Acer is running 20C cooler than with my previous cheapo fan.

They get good reviews, almost at a level with Gearhead, - which I couldnt find here. Found this in Icon Plaza, small shop at the rear ground floor on the right.

But drew a blank in looking for a can of compressed air to blow out the dust etc.

u can buy a USB to 240v electric plug which will save your laptop having to provide the power and may spin faster

i use wooden blocks under the four corners of my laptop giving about 11/2" of clearancee

i then have a 6" Mamaru 240v fan blasting from the side of the laptop under and over the keyboard

make sure u vacuum out the inlet and outlet of the laptop fan duct

works a treat,nothing kills a laptop quicker than overheating

This one gets my vote. Worked very well for my Toshiba and gave me some cooling as well.

Good luck.

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

I would suggest that there is something basically wrong with your computer unless you are using it out with the manufacturer’s environmental specs.

An external fan is not cooling the inside core heating problem and the internal heat is being added to by using the USB as a power source.

I think you should cure the ailment (what is causing the overheating - it will not be Firefox on its own) than apply a band aid (external fan).

• Like 1