Thai Tourism Min hopeful annual tourist arrivals will exceed 25 million

webfact

Most businesses know it is much easier/cheaper to retain current customers than interest new ones, So I would

suggest the TAT make it easier and better for there best long term tourists, ex-pats. They spent the most, stay through

low season and political turmoil. Of course try to interest new ones but don't forget about your existing ones.

Focus on the bird in hand not so much about the two in the bush.

• Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most businesses know it is much easier/cheaper to retain current customers than interest new ones, So I would

suggest the TAT make it easier and better for there best long term tourists, ex-pats. They spent the most, stay through

low season and political turmoil. Of course try to interest new ones but don't forget about your existing ones.

Dont worry i guarantee they will think the exact opposite...well I say "think" but obviously????

Keep in mind, Thailand just switched it university schedule and might impact when Thai people go on holiday. In 2 weeks all universities in Thailand will have a Christmas/New Year holiday. Get ready to see a surge in tourism activity. The new high season will start in June after schools close for the summer. So everyone just calm down and enjoy the show.

Domestic tourism is part of tourism in Thailand. Everyone stop acting like Thailand will die without the farangs. You guys are giving yourself way more credit than you really deserve.

Sure the coup has an impact but so did all the democratic protest (where people were dying) that led up to the coup. Also the university schedule did not just change for Thailand, it changed for all of ASEAN. Add to that the rising incomes and growing middle class, additional low cost carriers, open skys is about to happen and people will be on the move.

Now things are stable and for the first time, tourism can have the impact it normally would have. Enjoy the hotel discounts everyone because next year, demand will be back to normal and prices will increase.....but no doubt, everyone on ThaiVisa will complain and find someone to blame for that too.

Relax everyone....everything will be ok.

Agoda raise the prices considerably and then offer big discounts. In addition they are quoting prices ex taxes. Then they tell you to make your booking quickly because the rooms are almost sold out.

after staying i noticed that the hotel was nearly empty.

nothing more to say just now, allthough i would like to.

Actually, I've heard reports of the 5 star hotels in Chiang Mai mostly booked.

This is the beginning of the high season - if hotels are at 100% they are fully booked - if they are at 80% or 90% they may at times still be fully booked, but it represents a 10 to 20% drop in customers.....

This is the beginning of the high season - if hotels are at 100% they are fully booked - if they are at 80% or 90% they may at times still be fully booked, but it represents a 10 to 20% drop in customers.....

I don't think you can depend on what traditionally was the high season in the past. As I mentioned before, the university academic calendar changed in ASEAN. There will be December Christmas holidays and summer vacation starting in June. I expect K-12 schools to change their schedule in the future because parents will demand it so they can all travel at the same time. Right now it is only the universities.

December will turn into a travel month and then nothing until Songran. Then I expect the high season to run from June to August which would allow students and their families to be free to travel. Then nothing again until December. Then the process will repeat.

Of course, this is just my opinion but this is what happens in the west on the same academic calendar. Right now no one knows because this is the first year for the change.

Like a walk on Sunday morning. Last Saturday evening I was on my way down Sukhumvit Soi 33 to Bao & Bun restaurant. Tenderloins was doing OK; the Italian restaurants also OK with local expats. So ... Where are all the tourists?

Edited by razer

BRIEF

Cabinet makes tourism campaign a priority

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said yesterday that the Cabinet had approved the new tourism campaign, with the "Discover Thainess" theme as a national priority.

The campaign was introduced to international markets last week at the World Travel Market in London and reportedly received a warm response from foreigners.

The campaign will focus on Thai ways of living and unique communities that can cater to tourists.

"Discover Thainess" is aimed at extending the average length of stay from eight or nine days per trip to as many as 11 days. Spending per head should also rise.

Phuket is ready to host the Asean Beach Games. Some 4,300 players and visitors are already on the island.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Cabinet-makes-tourism-campaign-a-priority-30247640.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-11-13

Are this 4.300 already included in the 25 mill,

or should it be corrected to: 25.004.300 ??

The Ministry of Tourism can just keep on anticipating although I would call it dreaming 25million tourists only problem is that Thais don’t like farangs in their country so why would anyone want their numbers to increase, just cherry pick the quality rich tourists the ones copies of last 6months bank statements with the visa application only tourists that are easy to scam and have lots of spare money to give away to Thai scamming people, who is going to pack up their family and come to Thailand to get raped robbed and worst case scenario murdered what is the incentive to come to dangerland and have a relaxing stress free holiday with the family none at the moment not even with the 12 not-to-be-missed destinations, problem with the numbers dropping is that we farangs read and listen to the foreign media and here all the bad things that happen to tourists in Thailand and we will vote with our feet now.

• Like 1

Traditionally, a tourist is a person who is visiting a place for pleasure. The owner of where I live, when in Thailand, is soon taking about 45 members of his staff on a trip to Korea. When they return they will, no doubt, be slotted into the category of "tourist." That is just another way that the statistics can be manipulated and justify the predictions of the Thai Tourist Ministry. Ce est la vie.

• Like 1

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed that the Cabinet has approved a tourism campaign for 2015 which will use the Thai way of life as the main selling point.

The Thai way of life ... corruption, scams, murder, robberies, violence - look why don't the Thai Gov just pipe in Thai soaps to the west - that'll teach them the Thai way of life and how Thainess works.

• Like 1

Right I'm new to posting on here

I often read some of the comments posted by members

I have to say I am gob smacked as to how many of the same sad people constantly are having there in put into the most irrelevant discussions possible

They all seem to know everything about Thailand

Constantly slag Thailand off, the people, the roads, the price of Chang, etc etc etc

Here's one for you, if it's that bad then just do one back to your homeland or is it that you was that unpopular there you come to Thailand for your only chance of any female company

You reply to posts immedietly after they are posted. Sad people

You are all quality tourists/ expats as always being mentioned by yourself and everyone in pattaya/ phuket from Africa etc are not up to your standard

Because you all pay taxes and pump trillions into the economy living off you pensions and life savings

Living in your rented 10000 baht a month rooms all these crap topics Aswell like the on the other day- when is the right time to buy a tractor

What the <deleted> is that

Why would any one ask such a stupid question and why is there so many replys to that crap

Please if Thailand gets you down so much just do me a favour and p2?! Off or keep your mouth shut on here

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I have to say I am gob smacked as to how many of the same sad people constantly are having there in put into the most irrelevant discussions possible
Constantly slag Thailand off, the people, the roads, the price of Chang, etc etc etc
Here's one for you, if it's that bad then just do one back to your homeland or is it that you was that unpopular there you come to Thailand for your only chance of any female company
You are all quality tourists/ expats as always being mentioned by yourself and everyone in pattaya/ phuket from Africa etc are not up to your standard
Because you all pay taxes and pump trillions into the economy living off you pensions and life savings
Living in your rented 10000 baht a month rooms all these crap topics Aswell like the on the other day- when is the right time to buy a tractor
Why would any one ask such a stupid question and why is there so many replys to that crap
Please if Thailand gets you down so much just do me a favour and p2?! Off or keep your mouth shut on here

As spoken out of my mouth.

But I am sorry to disappoint you, that you are talking to deaf ears bah.gif

Depressing facepalm.gif

Edited by Nielsk
  • Like 1

Don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.

• Like 1

They have the Quality Tourists right in front their eyes and ignore them. The exparts. Over a year each of them equals 43 Q.Ts. (8.5 day average).

We had this discussion many times already: Pamper what you already have. Make the immigration fuzz as easy as possible and don't forget: VAT is the largest tax resource in this country and exparts pay the most of it.

Get rid of the TAT b/s and all the other tourist-what ever-offices.

And yes, I hate the "official" Thailand. It is just a big hooker house with dirty beaches, filthy bars, overpriced restaurants and double priced "attractions". Most Thais are rude and lack any respect and manners.

BUT:

There is also the "real" Thailand. Mostly not seen by the tourist. That is a total different cup of tea. Life is cheap and easy. People are mostly honest and you can get along pretty well.

• Like 1

I don't think you can depend on what traditionally was the high season in the past. As I mentioned before, the university academic calendar changed in ASEAN. There will be December Christmas holidays and summer vacation starting in June. I expect K-12 schools to change their schedule in the future because parents will demand it so they can all travel at the same time. Right now it is only the universities.

December will turn into a travel month and then nothing until Songran. Then I expect the high season to run from June to August which would allow students and their families to be free to travel. Then nothing again until December. Then the process will repeat.

Of course, this is just my opinion but this is what happens in the west on the same academic calendar. Right now no one knows because this is the first year for the change.

We are talking about foreign visitors - not local tourists.

They will ALWAYS have thew high season around this time of year because not only is it Xmas/new Year it is also the best time of year to visit Thailand in respect of weather.

Schools will have about 5 days at new year which is no big change and the Song Khran Holiday will continue to be the major one.

June to ASugust is the wet season and it is unlikely that foreign visitors will visit then.

Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul revealed that the Cabinet has approved a tourism campaign for 2015 which will use the Thai way of life as the main selling point. Well, it is obvious Kobkam is out of her element. Does she have any experience in the tourism sector? Or is she another crony appointment, who knows little of her department?

The Thai way of life? You mean the relaxed manners? The culinary skills? The positive attitudes?

They will be selling 2 week holidays in Isan living with a thai family next, no chair or tables and the hole in the floor to experience Thainess, quick sign now before all go.

Yeah, but you end up making a down payment of a millin baht for a piece of land you don't own.

Bloody Hell....

When everyone is reporting tourist numbers are well down on last year irrespective of the reasons (martial law, murder, police corruption, slavery etc etc). This unmentionable prosthetic is saying that overall tourism will be up... Lol.

This guy needs to go back to school to learn how maths works.

as for the new tourism campaign, with the "Discover Thainess" theme as a national priority.

Many of us have already discovered many facets of 'Thainess' and most of us find it bizarre. It is the last thing you want to push onto your visitors. I doubt it will make people want to stay longer, more likely to make them want to decrease their stay.

Kudos to your post, well-written just right to the point---humorous, accurate

Back again, most here on Thai Visa negative and rude when it comes to Thailand and its people. Why the hell are you so visiting Thailand if in thought everything is shit. Stay at home or travel to another country.

We are, after all, many who come back year after year. biggrin.png

25 million visitors per. year can not be wrong. clap2.gif

If You have nothing positive to say, You better keep silent. wink.png

That´s anyway my opinion.. thumbsup.gif

Time to reach for the smelling salts and take off those rose tinted specs.

Edited by MRDave
  • Like 1

"will use the Thai way of life as the main selling point." - I think the public are already aware of certain aspects of this...vis-a-vis the handling of the Koh Tao murders, the death of a Medical tourist, martial law, corruption, a coup, censorship of the media.....what else can they come up with?

depend on what public you talk about. In Australia now i never seen any tv news about the deaths and thats strange considering there are 2 shows i know of specific to tourist trouble in thailand.

No-one i even talk to knows anything about koh Toah either

unless i missed it, the aussie media and current affairs has been slow on this.

Not that it would change anything to these bulletproof youth (in their mind anyway)

Now the $ has lowered it makes even more sense they would take SE asia over expensive Europe

With cheap direct flights and cheap grog in thailand they will keep coming

The Thai Bht is 32.84 to $1 USA , is this a sign? Will it go up or Down?

shhhhh.... not so loud.....the baht might float!!!!

all these figures of 25.000.000 people coming to Thailand it does baffle the mind. thats about 68500 people a day in the year. work that figure in Planes, Immigration clearance..... at the moment the speed is 8 minutes per person. they will have queues waiting to get their passports stamped. Great start for a tourist.... THAINESS? I am aware that they will not all come through Swarnaphumi.... do the maths it still does not work out. How many border crossings, are we talking about re-entry tourists and expats to this 25 Million or does this apply only to new tourists for the year?

To me it really sounds like wishful thinking.....just like how they are so confident of winning the lottery.... only to find out the numbers were not in the same order as they gambled on. Dear Minister, I hope that this season will bring a new wave of tourists that Thailand can benefit from. But I am sorry I cannot hope along with you on the figures you project. Could you take the stand and break it down so that your fellow countrymen can also digest and profit from it...... a pie in the sky is not what we want!!!

If they can get 7mn up the Eiffel tower, then 25m to the whole of thailand is easily doable.

Don't worry though, these numbers are the screwiest ones. They count Malay and Laos visitors the same as farangs so they mean little or nothing. Daytrippers from Malaysia can make an increase.