Canadian Passport Renewal in Bangkok

PMak

I wanted to share my experience renewing the Canadian Passport in Bangkok.

There is a simplified renewal process for anyone that has had a passport before and has never reported it lost or stolen.

You can download the forms from the government website. It's 190$ for a 5 year passport. A little more for 10 year.

You need a couple references. No need for a guarantor. Old Passport. Check website for detailed requirements.

The one thing that's a bit tricky is the Passport Pictures. They are an odd size (70x50mm). You need the photographers name, address, telephone, and data picture was taken on the back of 2 photographs. Stamped or handwritten by photographer. Stickers are not accepted.

I live in Phuket and had a hard time finding a place that would do the format. And even when they could do it and read all the specifications, they did a lousy job and messed up. The specifications are pretty strict. You'd figure it's a no-brainer for a photo studio.... but apparently in Phuket it's rocket science to have a normal passport photo without shadows, crooked face, or smudges on the background... after 3 tries... So frustrated I gave up and decided to find a place in BKK.

On the way to the Embassy in Silom, on Sala Daeng next to 7-11 and near JR Tailors there is a Fuji Shop. 250baht, 6 pictures. The lady there was super friendly, took the pictures like a pro and got everything else done without asking.

The embassy is on the 15th floor of Abdulrahim Place, 990 Rama IV, 5 minute walk from Silom MRT.

The Embassy of Canada general hours of operation are:
Monday - Thursday: 07:30 - 12:15 and 13:00 - 16:15
Friday: 07:30 - 13:00
Saturday – Sunday: Closed
The Consular/Passport Section provides services to the public:
Monday - Friday: 09:00 to 12:00
When you arrive you have to get a Visitor Badge in the lobby. When you arrive on the 15th floor you have to check your cell phone and computer at the desk before entering the embassy.
I got there at 11am and I was the next person up. 2 people waiting. Very quiet.
After reviewing my paperwork, submitting my old passport, and specifying I need my passport back to transfer my Thai Visa I was asked to take a seat and 5 minutes later was asked to pay. The fee has to be exact if paying cash. I had Cad$. I was given a receipt and a pickup date which was exactly 20 working days. And told it would be ready on that date and can pick up anytime after except Thai or Canadian Holidays.
So far so good. Fingers crossed it will be just as easy when it's ready.
btw the website says to dress polite, but a guy infront of me was in Sandels and shorts..

I did this last year but I was wondering how can the Canadian embassy be on the 15th floor of a commercial building? I thought an embassy must be on its on soil with a perimeter. Maybe I've seen too many movies.

Is it an embassy or a consulate? Or are they the same thing? Also why are there no Canadians that work there?