Penang By Train

Guest Froggy

Guest Froggy

Hi guys!

I plan to go to Penang by train from Bangkok!

Is it safe to use that way?

I'm asking this because I've heard by Thai friends that sometimes it can be risky in some Provinces!

Does anyone knows about that?

Froggy

Hi:

You can use the train to go to Penang, it´s very safe, but better you travel in the frist class (about 2.000 bath go & come).

The only problem is in Malasya: Is expensive, isn´t safe like Thailand and many times cancell the trains goig back to Thailand.

Go down from Bangkok on the international express it takes you straight to Butterworth no change of trains...you get off at the border pass through customs then reboard the train to continue your journey down to Butterworth. I did the run in November no problems regarding safety .....a police officer comes round the train introducing himself and accompanies you on the journey. Train leaves Bangkok at 3pm and arrives in Butterworth at 1pm the next day......cost 2100 baht return for sleeper (very comfortable) seems like a long time on train but it passes quickly especially if you take a "friend" with you. Stewards come round at 7pm and make up the beds...clean sheets , pillows etc. All in all not a bad visa run! :o

Every couple of years there is an incident (usually minor) but all in all it is much safer than bus travel. There is no need to travel 1st class what-so-ever although this time of the year 2nd class a/c sleeper recommended, Malaysia is as safe as Thailand and the trains can not be canceled as it is a through service. Same cars from Bangkok to Butterworth. If delayed they may meet returning pax in a station prior to Butterworh and you continue on 'special train' to minimize delay but it is never canceled as the same train returns to Bangkok every day.

Definitely 2nd class air --had a fan once that didn't work --in April-- longest trip of my life! The trains run to Penang several times a day and there are almost no 'incidents'. Let's see, I can remember once about 5 years ago someone shot at the train, no one was hurt. But that is it. Buses are much scarier and all you have to do is read the paper regularly and start counting the bus accidents to choose the train.

Also, don't forget all the different train station stops. You can sample snacks from Bangkok down south. Don't forget the salty eggs in Chaiya in Surat Thani! If you are headed up to Bangkok buy a box for your Thai friends, they will love you for it.

Can I take Khun wifie along on a visa run to Penang.

Does she need her passport or can she as Thai national stay in Malaysia for a few dats just using her ID card?

Mobaan

She'll need a passport if she's not from one of the border provinces and she'll be granted a thirty-day entry. Even if she is from a province on the Malaysian border, I'm not sure how long she can stay in Malaysia nor how far she may stray from the border.