how does thai wife divorce her farang husband.

jacksam

The thai lady in question is not my gf. Here is her situation. Married for 10years to (French) man.

No children. Her family has farm, father gives her some land. Husband builds fairly impressive home (his money)

Things go bad couple years ago. She wants divorce and he wants his money back. Apart from house she has no idea how to divorce. He doesn't want to. Her options?

The fair thing to do is for her to come to an amicable arrangements and to agree to the price of the house

and pay the farang off either in lump sum or installments, because as it's stand the farang can prove

that he paid to build the house and he has a legal standing over it, on the other hand, she can make his

life difficult if she want to by being stubborn and uncooperative and drag this thing for ever, the question

are, how honest and fair this women is, and dose she really want to amicably bring this saga to an end

by doing the right thing?

The fair thing to do is for her to come to an amicable arrangements and to agree to the price of the house

and pay the farang off either in lump sum or installments, because as it's stand the farang can prove

that he paid to build the house and he has a legal standing over it, on the other hand, she can make his

life difficult if she want to by being stubborn and uncooperative and drag this thing for ever, the question

are, how honest and fair this women is, and dose she really want to amicably bring this saga to an end

by doing the right thing?

Only for half of it if it was bought during marriage.

• Like 2

The operative word being fair. I don't think he has much of a leg to stand on, so if she is fair all will be good.

Problem is, she has no money so where to now?

He lost the house, or she leaves him there and lives with the folks.

I am sure you could mediate. :)

he came home from the hospital one day and told her he had throat cancer

she told him the next day the marriage was over

Hmmm....brings back memories of what an elder( 55 yrs old) extended inlaw once told me what she would do if her Thai husband, who was slightly suffering from an illness, became really sick.

It must be a mentality regardless of nationality of spouse.

I remember that i was quite shocked to hear it.

the thai apologists are out again as seen in the above three posts

fact is even if it got to court and the court somehow decided to order the house onto the market

a buyer would never be found as any potential purchaser will be WARNED OFF in some way or other as the house stands on the family land

fact is he built the house on land that is owned by his wife/wifes family so at best he can lay claim to half of the building costs...pretty sure the farang husband has to sign to say he has no financial interest in the land when purchased

not worth the hassle cut your loses and treat it as a lesson

THERE IS NO BENEFIT BEING A FARANG AND GETTING MARRIED TO A THAI LADY... the only people that benefit are her and her family

you still need a visa to stay here even after marriage

you still cant own the land that you build your house on

you will not be allowed to take your kids out of Thailand without her written consent

you can end up having an "accident" in order for her and her family to acquire your assets...with virtually no chance of the law intervening

she can instruct a lawyer to pursue your assets in your home country

you still cant start a business unless its 51% owned by a thai

teaching for peanuts is still an option

I met an Aussie guy who was married to a thai woman for 6 years..he told me she was a lovely woman

bought some land built a house,purchased a condo, ran a successful restaurant

devastated he returned to Aus and 18 months of gruelling treatment

came back and tried to arrange the divorce and retrieve 50% of the assets of the marraige

the family then threatened to have him killed him if he tried

said he would settle for the condo and she gets the rest......answer no

being extremely sick at the time he let it go

so all you apologists out there who think that sweet little wife of yours wouldnt stab you in the back if the situation turned bad

I hope you have an escape plan in place

as for me I wont be gettting married or buy anything i cant put in my name

Boy you are bitter but you are partially correct, when buying LAND the farang has to state that the funds are strictly his wifes but if they are legally married not just the Buddah blessing but marriage is registered at the amphur and embassy if there is a diviorce any property and thinngs are considered joint ownership. He files for diviorce the court splits the marital property 50/50. If not legally married kiss the money good bye unless you can prove the funds for home came completely from the guy or if a lease or usufruct has been made. Otherwise the money will be considered a gift. If he won't grant her a diviorce I think she can check with a lawyer or Amphur that she has to wait 3 years before being granted a diviorce she files.

One thing with your story you said he told her he would settle for the condo she could keep the rest. Why wasn't the condo bought in his name? Thats the reason why most farangs buy a condo , because they can own it outright. If your sooo blinded by love that you don't watch out for yourself who else will?

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

the thai apologists are out again as seen in the above three posts

fact is even if it got to court and the court somehow decided to order the house onto the market

a buyer would never be found as any potential purchaser will be WARNED OFF in some way or other as the house stands on the family land

fact is he built the house on land that is owned by his wife/wifes family so at best he can lay claim to half of the building costs...pretty sure the farang husband has to sign to say he has no financial interest in the land when purchased

not worth the hassle cut your loses and treat it as a lesson

THERE IS NO BENEFIT BEING A FARANG AND GETTING MARRIED TO A THAI LADY... the only people that benefit are her and her family

you still need a visa to stay here even after marriage

you still cant own the land that you build your house on

you will not be allowed to take your kids out of Thailand without her written consent

you can end up having an "accident" in order for her and her family to acquire your assets...with virtually no chance of the law intervening

she can instruct a lawyer to pursue your assets in your home country

you still cant start a business unless its 51% owned by a thai

teaching for peanuts is still an option

I met an Aussie guy who was married to a thai woman for 6 years..he told me she was a lovely woman

bought some land built a house,purchased a condo, ran a successful restaurant

devastated he returned to Aus and 18 months of gruelling treatment

came back and tried to arrange the divorce and retrieve 50% of the assets of the marraige

the family then threatened to have him killed him if he tried

said he would settle for the condo and she gets the rest......answer no

being extremely sick at the time he let it go

so all you apologists out there who think that sweet little wife of yours wouldnt stab you in the back if the situation turned bad

I hope you have an escape plan in place

as for me I wont be gettting married or buy anything i cant put in my name

Boy you are bitter but you are partially correct, when buying LAND the farang has to state that the funds are strictly his wifes but if they are legally married not just the Buddah blessing but marriage is registered at the amphur and embassy if there is a diviorce any property and thinngs are considered joint ownership. He files for diviorce the court splits the marital property 50/50. If not legally married kiss the money good bye unless you can prove the funds for home came completely from the guy or if a lease or usufruct has been made. Otherwise the money will be considered a gift. If he won't grant her a diviorce I think she can check with a lawyer or Amphur that she has to wait 3 years before being granted a diviorce she files.

One thing with your story you said he told her he would settle for the condo she could keep the rest. Why wasn't the condo bought in his name? Thats the reason why most farangs buy a condo , because they can own it outright. If your sooo blinded by love that you don't watch out for yourself who else will?

I may come across as bitter Tony but nobody here has ripped me off apart from a few hundred baht here and there

i am just a realist who has observed that in Thailand the cards are stacked against you...the game is rigged

no harm in playing the game if u play by your own rules

buy a condo in your own name or better still rent....help her family improve their own accomodation (if poor) and treat that cash as a gift

if u must marry just do the village wedding (meaningless in thai law)to keep the family happy with 100k on the tray which will also pay for wedding costs

borrow the gold or buy some and sell it back to the shop after the ceremony

keep all your assets offshore and transfer cash as you need it

that way you are worth more alive than dead

on a lighter note i do help out some relatives of my g/f

they are two elderly sisters who suffer from achondroplasia/dwarfism

see i do have a heart after all LOL

https://www.facebook.com/ben.hare.756/media_set?set=a.1394475570776109.1073741827.100006410378613&type=3

• Like 2

It does not matter how much he spent building the place only the value of the house (not land) now.

ie. what it could be sold for.Probably less than half of what he spent. The house is half hers so he will

maybe get 25% of what he spent to build it. Probably best for him to get whatever he can and walk away.

A hard expensive lesson. Of course he could also bring in a bulldozer flatten the whole thing and go for a lose-lose.

Of course a fair settlement by both parties is more desirable, but does she/her family have any money?

I'm stuck on the comment that the house was built on land that the father gave her. Legally and recorded, or just verbal? Who owns the place?

His standing would be a lot more clear if he had also paid for the land.

If the father owns the land, how do you force him to sell?

I'm with Transam. Bend over and kiss it goodbye.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

shes not going to pay him a satang

he has no claim to the house as he does not own the land

she can call the police and have him removed from her land

no court in the Land of Scams is going to make her sell the house and give him his money back

never put more into Lieland than you can afford to lose

This is incorrect. All property acquired after the marriage is jointly owned. This includes the house IRRESPECTIVE of who bought it or who is named on the Land Registry documents as the owner. Both parties are entitled to half the proceeds of the land/house, once it has been sold.

Sorry, but your statement is not totally correct.

If the land was given by the father as a gift to the daughter only then it will be Sin Suan Tua ie her personal property.

( Ref... Section 1471 of the Thai Civil and commercial Code)

• Like 1

Thank you to various posts. I can imagine this situation is not unusual. Bit more to add....apparently the father gave her the land but still in his name. She maintains that he can sign it over to her in a blink (not so sure about that). Anyway , as she rightly point out the house while very impressive two story joint..... If they wanted to sell would get nothing near its value. In farang world often one party buys the other out. Not possible here.

Apart for all of this is the aspect of divorce. Can they be dealt with separately or not.

This chick is not my gf, but I'm interested as I can imagine this is a familiar story. Hard for the farang and other side of fence hard for Thai chick.

Who are these idiots,who give advice ,,YOU ARE IN THAILAND..not were ever you come from..She wants a divorce,because she already has another farrang lined up ,to take from him ,what she can get from him,,, The husband will get nothing back from the home he built,unless he pays her off.,Or just trys to stay in the home till he dies..If you know anything about thailand,,You know that would not be possible,Due to harrasement,from neighbours and family of her..Anybody who builds a house in thailand,Is on a looser..If it was me ,I would get a bulldozer,and flatten the house,,Leave thailand ,and not come back,,Who is asking the question on here,,Most proberbly the next idiot in line.

• Like 2

Who are these idiots,who give advice ,,YOU ARE IN THAILAND..not were ever you come from..She wants a divorce,because she already has another farrang lined up ,to take from him ,what she can get from him,,, The husband will get nothing back from the home he built,unless he pays her off.,Or just trys to stay in the home till he dies..If you know anything about thailand,,You know that would not be possible,Due to harrasement,from neighbours and family of her..Anybody who builds a house in thailand,Is on a looser..If it was me ,I would get a bulldozer,and flatten the house,,Leave thailand ,and not come back,,Who is asking the question on here,,Most proberbly the next idiot in line.

unfortunately if u bulldozer it she could get u arrested as she owns half of it unless of course it was built before they got married

even then u would probably be arrested for trespass...TIT