cycling from BKK to Ayutthayah

BT444

which road/route did you take ?

Sorry didn't realize that due to the privacy settings it doesn't show the map on the link! sad.png

I've attached a GPX file of the route that you can use, just download and rename from txt to .gpx

Also you should be able to view the route from this link instead http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/457437556

03-02-2014 Bang Phun, Pathum Thani, Thailand.txt

Edited by moonoi

• 2 months later...

Hey! I am looking at your route ons strava now. That first really straight part, how was it? I was coming up with a route the other day, but using google street view, it looked like there was a long stretch of dirt road.

As for the OP, i am looking at my old map now. Back in the day i had to memorize it and pray my brain wouldn't over heat and i forget it, haha. It looks like i always used route 347 ,which is a bigger road. But i remember it being quite wide and except for a few intersections not too bad. Of course that was more than ten years ago. I don't know if i ever went to ayuthaya proper. Mostly i went off 347 to Bang Pa-In for sime noodles and back to Victory Monument, or onward to Lopburi for a whole days ride.

I think if you join strava or another of those sites, you'll see a number of variations but eventually find there is a consensus of some of the smaller roads along the lines of the gpx file already posted.

Edited by taony

Before I rode to Ayutthayah i took numerous pics of a backroad route there from Bangkok. However, just after I passed Don Mueang airport I couldn't see the turn-off for the backroad to Ayutthayah, so kept going up the highway all the way to Ayutthayah. It was fast and sometimes scary, but direct and simple. Here's my strava data from the ride https://www.strava.com/activities/220871491

Prachacheun road, west of there, is a good choice to get north from Bangkok. The last time i was there in the fall, the road surface was in bad shape though. But since then, many roads have been resurfaced or at least patched up, so maybe Prachacheun was too.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, been working in India for the last 2 weeks :-)

The entire route is asphalt, they have resurfaced it though, which is why street view might show some dirt road sections. Most cyclists use this route, as it's nice quiet and safe, even when you hit the dual carriageway.

• Like 1

Congrats @BT444 on the accomplishment, but looking at the route you took I can't help wondering why anyone would want to ride this horrible, dangerous, and polluted road. w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInIXuJTMTAZ

<shrug>...as I approached Pathum Thani (where the turn off for the back roads is supposed to be) I couldn't find clear signs pointing the way to those roads so I just kept going...and going...until I went all the way to Ayutthayah. dangerous, polluted, stressful - check. but fast and direct too