Paris chefs call for end to French kitchen violence

webfact

Paris chefs call for end to French kitchen violence
By Clea Caulcutt
Producer, BBC News, Paris

(BBC) Several top chefs, including France's TV star cook Cyril Lignac, gathered in Paris this week to denounce violence in French kitchens.

This episode in soul-searching was sparked when an assistant chef was fired in April from the prestigious restaurant, Le Pre Catelan. He had been caught burning a young recruit several times with a small, white-hot spoon.

Many of the chefs reflected on their tough starts as apprentices in great establishments, where they were forced to endure insults, slaps and even punches.

"I remember slurs from the male staff," said Adeline Grattard. "'You're hot, you should wear a see-through top,' they would tell me."

Now she runs the three-star Yam'tcha restaurant. "It used to make me so angry, and so keen to assert myself."

As an apprentice, Ms Grattard was asked to carry heavier objects than her male counterparts. It was a punishment, she said, for being a woman.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30099533

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-19

It is difficult to change a culture of abuse...the change comes when the newer chefs refuse to abuse...and the older ones die off or retire...there is absolutely no excuse for abuse in a work environment...

I am quite sure the Thai fishing industry is working on this problem as we speak...coffee1.gif

I had the immense displeasure of working with a french chef in a classy french restaurant in San Anselmo, CA, when I was 19. He was the genuine article, raised and schooled and apprenticed in France. He was about 6'6" tall, and incredibly arrogant. One evening he asked one of the American waitresses if the table was set for the staff's dinner. When she said no, he knocked her to the ground. The restaurant owner was right there, he said nothing because he treasured his precious chef so much. That was my last day ever to work in a french restaurant. Now, let's step forward about 35 years. I went to work on a toll road in San Diego. My company , Intrans, was owned by french interests. They had asked me to move to San Diego, from San Francisco, where I had been working at the Golden Gate Bridge. The San Diego project was in big trouble, so a team of about 12 French network engineers, management, and technicians were onsite to try and save the project. I learned that incredible French arrogance was not confined to chefs. 3/4 of them were incredible sissies and arrogant, abusive pricks.