Nation TV pushes 'Bike Thailand' agenda

webfact

Nation TV pushes 'Bike Thailand' agenda
The Nation

30248153-02_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- LAUNCHED by Nation Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) and its allies, the Nation Bike Thailand project aims to ensure that bike lanes materialise across the country and a national network of bicycle enthusiasts blossoms.

"We are going to push the Bike Thailand agenda," NBC president Adisak Limprungpatanakij said at the launch of the project yesterday.

NBC, which operates Nation TV, is a part of the Nation Multimedia Group. The Nation Bike Thailand project springs into operation through the collaboration of NBC, government agencies, local administrative bodies, cyclist groups and business organisations. Representatives from these partners, some of whom hail from faraway provinces like Nakhon Si Thammarat, Udon Thani and Chiang Mai, joined the launch yesterday.

"Bicycling is good for health and the environment," Adisak said, adding that support should be given to ensure that people are able to use bicycles conveniently and safely.

Updates are available on Facebook.com/nationbike and www.nationtv.tv/nationbike.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Nation-TV-pushes-Bike-Thailand-agenda-30248153.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-11-20

I hope this is indicative of a real shift in Thai society, away from sitting on the sofa watching TV all weekend, and not just a fad. The impact goes far beyond just health and fitness, but can also lead to increased spatial awareness and a greater appreciation of the environment.

Edited by Katipo

There are 29 million pushbikes sold each year:

USA 80,000

Europe 900,000

China 28 million - and half of those are electric.

Trouble is that an electric bike here will cost upwards of 30K baht and a motor scooter is not that much more expensive, but a whole lot more versatile and, as others have noted in another thread, Thai will get on a motorcycle to ride 100m to 7-11 rather than walk AND there are already systems in place to safely park, lock and store motor cycles - I can't imagine Nong Lek lugging her pushbike up the stairs to store it safely on the balcony of her apartment .... the words W.O.F.T.A.M. spring to mind.

Wonderful idea! Now the cars and trucks will have an additional lane to drive or overtake in thus relieving congestion in the car lanes. No way in this country that police will prevent this from happening. So there will be no real difference between a bike lane and the shoulder of the road. They may as well save their money and spend it on training HONEST police.

Introduce a bike to work scheme for the general public - someone buys a bike registers it as a going to work vehicle and gets 50% of the cost of the bicycle given back to them

Introduce stations across the city where you can rent a bicycle based upon hourly usage

It's nice to see Thais that give a shit about their country

I would love to go to Chantaburi for a cycle looks great

Yes, cycling is good for health and the environment but in Los highly dangerous to life and limb due to all the nutters driving / riding powered vehicles.

Forget cycle lanes as everyone else will use them and cyclists don't stand a chance.

No doubt there will be promises of crackdowns, blitzes' etc to keep the lanes clear but such promises are ten a penny and after an inital show just disappear.

Not only will others use them - for selling crap, for parking, for loading zones - but they will not be maintained. A good example is the bike lane that runs between Bo Sang and Sankhampaeng here in CM, Tree roots have cracked and distorted the pavement all along the way, along with the usual assortment of neglect and damage to pavement. Of course, the tree roots are a sign of poor planning right from the start.

I'm a cyclist (closing in on 6,000 km this year), and I don't need bike paths, except maybe the ones we share with motorcyclists, what we call the shoulder of the road in the West.

I disagree with you NongKhaiKid, in one minor way. I think Thai drivers, including motorcyclists, take great care around bicycles, at least in Chiang Mai. I'm often surprised at how well motorists wait for me to pass and give plenty of room when passing. Sometimes I'm even a little annoyed when they drive along on my flank, wondering why they don't pass, but at least they're being safe. It may be different in NongKhai, and certainly is in Bkk.