Indian tourist arrested following Jet Ski Crash on Pattaya Beach

webfact

<script>if(typeof window.__wsujs==='undefined'){window.__wsujs=10453;window.__wsujsn='OffersWizard';window.__wsujss='4A56245FF3AA1DF0AB17D4C55179F65F';} </script>

Why arrest the fella? Its the people who control the jet skis who should be assuring safety . If they do that then a tourist should show he has passed a competency for Jet skis before they are allowed to take one out. There is no dangerous driving or I believe drink driving of a jetski legislation. So what are they arresting him for , being an idiot ?, Its completely the "Landlord" of that portion of beaches responsibility

moronic logic.

The risk and liability is with the company hiring the jet ski. Explain how its Moronic ?

Thought it was an American that got hurt while on beach People really need to read article first before posting dribble. Before sure of facts of said article.

Hello again, Mr Strangebrew.

The jetski caused injury to two (2) deck-chair occupants, presumably unrelated.

One, a Middle Eastern man was more seriously injured.

The other, an American, was less seriously injured.

Do you really expect Indian tourists to be licensed?

I guess they will be as licensed as any other nationality of tourist.

To operate one of these jet skis you are meant to have a boating license. Everything about a foreign tourist renting these is utterly illegal and probably completely uninsurable.

Other than that, they are great.

absolute nonesense. even in the UK no licence is required to own or drive a jetski

• Like 1

To operate one of these jet skis you are meant to have a boating license. Everything about a foreign tourist renting these is utterly illegal and probably completely uninsurable.

[Putting aside the fact that many Thais simply 'buy' a driver's license before getting behind the wheel of a car...]

Is the licensing requirement you're referring to under Thai law? Just curious. I've even rented jet skis in Florida (yeah, the one in the US) without being asked for any sort of license. The things are brain-dead easy to drive, and no licensing requirement is going to take the 'dumb' out of people (though I guess it means that you would have to be pretty serious about jet-skiing if you went out and got a boating license just for the privilege).

I'm guessing these are not the early Kawasaki jet skis. Not so easy to ride. Anyway It sounds like the idiot was showing off so was riding in the swimming area. There is no such thing as black and white. I see no need for a license but maybe a little training and enforcement to keep the idiots out away from the beach where its only dangerous for the rider if he or she wants to be a show off. biggrin.png

People have to understand you need to go fast and weave around near the shore and swimmers

so the people on the beach can see how much fun you are having, Safety is not a concern

until after the accident. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Can't rent one in Spain without a licence.

They might look fun but are dangerous things (without brakes too).

[Putting aside the fact that many Thais simply 'buy' a driver's license before getting behind the wheel of a car...]

Is the licensing requirement you're referring to under Thai law? Just curious. I've even rented jet skis in Florida (yeah, the one in the US) without being asked for any sort of license. The things are brain-dead easy to drive, and no licensing requirement is going to take the 'dumb' out of people (though I guess it means that you would have to be pretty serious about jet-skiing if you went out and got a boating license just for the privilege).

From what has been written on here yes. .it require some form maritime license under Thai regulation for this.type of craft. The entire business is apparently illegal under Thai law.

And last I looked a Thai needs a license to drive a car.

These rental businesses are a mess.

'He was seen to enter a swimmers zone, on Pattaya Beach opposite Soi 13/4 ... then went onto the sand and hit the two beachgoers.' And who is at fault? Those jet skis are a bloody nuisance, and it has little to do with foreign tourists. Put new rules in place and enforce them and the existing ones - properly!

ay? I owned jestskis over the years and my brother too. We used to take weekends at Tattershall lakes and Billing Aquadrome - both private lakes with slip facilities (which we paid for) I/we never, ever got asked for a license by anybody. It's not a requirement in the UK unless aged 12-15. There are competency courses etc and some lakes do ask for the documentation but in Thailand? Come on get real, you don't even have to have a motor bike license in a lot of places to hire out bike, even biggish ones!

I thought jet ski's had deadman switches...in case you came off it would cut the ignition...I used to race boats and it is compulsory to have them connected to your buoyancy vest

It was reported recently a young woman suffering a wrist injury as the cable from her wrist was simply tied to the handle bar of the machine no pin to pull out and kill the engine.

At least he never run like the jet ski mafia do when they have killed or injured a tourist.

Another thing I have seen is jet ski mafia hiring jets skis to people that are so drunk they cannot stand up because they want that person to damage a jet ski.

The money is not made from renting it is made from scamming only.

racing a jetski up a beach is nothing unusual, I see the rental people doing it every day often only missing people by a foot or two. scares the tourists but who cares about that. crashing a jetski is also no big deal, most people that rent them do that according to the rental people so thats to be expected. as for being inside the swimming area I remember at the time they removed some of the pontoons and replaced them with ropes one of the reasons given was so jetskis could access the area, dont ask me why but thats what was reported in the news. as far as I know this guy has broken no laws, the only thing I see new here is that people were hurt. as long as he pays their expenses I guess hes free to go do it again, and if he doesnt someone else no doubt will soon

Edited by slygeeza

Boating license?? The boat has to be much much much larger to require a license to operate. At least that's the case in USA.

You would need full throttle and a run up to get 1 of those heavy skis up a beach and into a chair. Let go the throttle and they slow pretty fast so to do what he did can only be the actions of a moron....the same you see on youtube driving cars through shop windows when they panic and nail the throttle instead of the brakes etc....

I was on beach road yesterday and the water was literally a few feet from the deck chairs, less than 6 feet.

Yes, panic can set in when you lose control and this could be part of the reason for the accident.

This idiot seems to have had little common sense to be riding in a cordoned off area and amongst bathers. To me, he appears to be the one at fault.

boating license

cheesy.gif

Boating license?? The boat has to be much much much larger to require a license to operate. At least that's the case in USA.

different legislation depending on state. in Florida any person born before January 1, 1988 holding a valid car driver's license is allowed to operate any size of boat/yacht.

ay? I owned jestskis over the years and my brother too. We used to take weekends at Tattershall lakes and Billing Aquadrome - both private lakes with slip facilities (which we paid for) I/we never, ever got asked for a license by anybody. It's not a requirement in the UK unless aged 12-15. There are competency courses etc and some lakes do ask for the documentation but in Thailand? Come on get real, you don't even have to have a motor bike license in a lot of places to hire out bike, even biggish ones!

So what,you don't need a license to buy a car or bike either.The responsibility is all yours.