Chiang Mai Hotels

TravelerED

Does anyone have actual experience with the following Chiang Mai hotels? We have seen mixed reviews (some excellent, some fair) about each of the hotels and would appreciate your help. We like well maintained hotels with a private bath, good beds, and a convenient location for touring the city. We would like to keep our cost below $100/night, which seems easy, but we don't want to stay at a tired hotel, either.

1. Dusit Royal Princess Hotel

2. Central Duangtawan Hotel

3. Novotel Chiang Mai

4. D2Hotel

5. The Yaang Come Village looks wonderful, but is it worth $135/night if we are not planning to lounge around the hotel. We are visiting for sightseeing.

Thanks,

TravelerEd

Although they may not be up to the very high standards of other locations in Thailand a good tourist hotel in Chiang Mai should not cost more than about 1,500 - 2,000 baht per night for two with ABF and tax included from a web site source IMO. Higher than that would be in the resort 4/5 star range. I have not stayed at any you list so can not comment on them.

I have stayed at #2 Central Duangtawan Hotel.

If you are interested in the night market, its location is prime.

The pool was incredibly cold! I didnt use the gym facilites but they seemed nice.

The carpets in the room were a bit tired.

However the beds, covers, furniture and such were nice. I dont think we got the best room type as it was part of an air asia package deal. Also I believe they had separate shower and bath tubs in the room which was nice.

The front entrance, dining areas are quite clean and nice. Staff were very nice.

My gf and I were the only ones at the lobby bar one night, they had a nice live band who asked us many questions.

If the price is good, its a decent place to stay with a convenient location.

Does anyone have actual experience with the following Chiang Mai hotels? We have seen mixed reviews (some excellent, some fair) about each of the hotels and would appreciate your help. We like well maintained hotels with a private bath, good beds, and a convenient location for touring the city. We would like to keep our cost below $100/night, which seems easy, but we don't want to stay at a tired hotel, either.

1. Dusit Royal Princess Hotel

2. Central Duangtawan Hotel

3. Novotel Chiang Mai

4. D2Hotel

5. The Yaang Come Village looks wonderful, but is it worth $135/night if we are not planning to lounge around the hotel. We are visiting for sightseeing.

Thanks,

TravelerEd

You want something for under US$100, well how about US$25???

The Royal Lanna... nothing flash, but still more then comfortable, decent size rooms, and bathroom, good solid breakfasts included, and overlooking the Night Bazzare.

If you prefer something larger, you can get a Junior Suite there for about double @ US$48

Check the rates at http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/chiang_m...oyal_lanna.html

or try http://www.chiangmai-online.com/

Edited by jingjoe

The Imperial Mae Ping is a decent Hotel in a good location and not as expensive as others.

Stayed there about a year ago and generally it was OK but found it a little bit... "Foosty"

Had asked for a non smoking room and of course we got the standard "stinking gruesome cesspit of a smelly smoke induced carcio-genic cancer creating hovel".... but to their credit they swapped us over quickly enough :D

Friendly staff,Decor nice,Big spacous gardens, breakies...so.so and we did meet up with (through a friend) old Ert C. in the bar for a beer one night....made in Thai land..made in th...made..etc.....

Looks like next jolli will however be back to the ol ..Dun 2 one......Great Entrance and Lobby lounge...Ambience..etc....and of course handy to stagger back to after chucking out time round the corner.......via as said before... the hon-nee waggon.... :D ...hic..

Heard that they now have a new boogie place downstairs to try....

We have also decided on a couple of nights over in the Northern Heritage (near oor hoose...need to do some work)but only ever visited however looks good...Anybody Stayed...?? :o:D

Good luck finding a 'good hotel' experience in Chiang Mai.

Try the Tamarind Village. Good location and value. Mosquitos may be bothersome, but the hotel is excellent. See http://www.tamarindvillage.com/

for a good price, refer to http://asiarooms.com/thailand/chiang_mai/t...nd_village.html

(#2 has a pretty good breakfast, but the rooms are a joke)

A lot of people also like BP Chiangmai City Hotel. However, the location is not the best (it's a little far from things, if you like to walk)