German tourist arrested for allegedly stealing Bt280 from Chiang Mai temple

webfact

Someone stooping that low must surely be in need. I thought that a temple was for the people who are in need. Perhaps we need to look a little deeper before we judge.

I am sure the temple can afford that little amount

In Need? Yes a temple if where those in need can go. Just ask the monks, they would oblige if you're without sustenance. One does not have to stoop to stealing, and in your own words, stooping low. What this person has done is steal and that is a criminal offence no matter what the excuse. Sure the temple could afford such a little amount but lets have a 1000 persons doing the same thing. A little amount now?

Yes, maybe one should look a little deeper before judging but then we might just find that this good person has been at it many times before but on this occasion was caught. Could be quite profitable visiting many temples and helping one's self. Would pay for a nice holiday throughout Thailand. Please do not condone such a low act because of moralistic values.

Edited by Si Thea01

I don't get it - the police said they couldn't arrest/detain the baby-parts smugglers because of minimum sentencing requirements (for mail/customs fraud, I guess). But they're allowed to arrest someone for the theft of 300 baht. [To clarify - this is more a comment on the absurdity of that other case]

Holy Cow. Go to jail for a few hundred baht? Last one was trying to steal a wedge of cheese.

It's not the amount, it's the circumstances and where he stole it from.

If it was a Thai and there were crowds of people present he might have shared the fate of the e-baa who took a sledge hammer to the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok some years ago.

So a tourist who can afford to fly to SE Asia may be in need of an extra 280 baht? If he really had his money stolen by a bar girl, as reported in the Thai language press, did he report it to the RTP before he stole from the collection plate? Even if true, why did he not go to the German consulate in Chiang Mai and arrange for money to be wired from Germany. No, he is a thief, he stole from a temple, he will get the book thrown at him. Wonder if he has form in Germany. Criminals have holidays same as normal people.

Someone stooping that low must surely be in need. I thought that a temple was for the people who are in need. Perhaps we need to look a little deeper before we judge.
I am sure the temple can afford that little amount

• Like 1