Anyone use an Amway eSpring?

pinkpanther99

Yes I recommend. Bought one 6 years ago, still have. Actually used it for 2-3 years only because I rent and it seems trouble too much to plumb for it. Yes, no simple kitchen faucet available. So I spend a fortune for good bottled water when I Could make my own. By the way FUJI bottled water very best for drinking. Yes by all means consider the Amway unit.

Yes, recommended! Have had one for three years now and works a treat. renew cartridge every year - it indicates when it needs to be changed. I keep three large water bottle constantly topped up for everyday use - there are two of us in the household, use one bottle a day, roughly. Easy to plumb in, faucet connector allows either purified water or normal tap water to be used, but it does need a (handy) electric mains (220V) supply.

Edited by Varangkul

My wife bought her first Amway purifier more than 20 years ago. They seem expensive, but you save money in the long term and you have the convenience of having drinking water all the time. They are not suitable everywhere in Thailand, though. We recently moved to Prachuab KhiriKhan, and my wife says that the quality of the water coming out of the tap is too poor to allow us to use an Amway purifier.

Have any of you thought to test the water before the filter and then after the filter?\

Are any of the posters actually in Thailand and drinking water?

Yes I did test the water for chlorine and other nasty stuff I bought tablets

in a pool shop the water was perfect

Now I am not in LOS at the moment but still bought another one

( PS I am not working for Amway )

My wife bought her first Amway purifier more than 20 years ago. They seem expensive, but you save money in the long term and you have the convenience of having drinking water all the time. They are not suitable everywhere in Thailand, though. We recently moved to Prachuab KhiriKhan, and my wife says that the quality of the water coming out of the tap is too poor to allow us to use an Amway purifier.

You might get three months or six months out of a filter then they need replacing......sure they will still allow water to flow...not block up as you would expect.. Then fail to do the job.

Water will flow,,but not filtered as you expect.

Mine are six years old...but I've got rainwater tanks so the filters aren't an issue

From my experience with bore (well) water is that you really need to have it analysed . Not so much for chemicals and pollution. although that is always good to know but the level of dissolved solid IS really important. These are the ones that WILL put you in hospital and lead to kidney failure in older blokes.

Edited by Mudcrab

$577.30 USD? Jesus F---ing Christ. You can buy a good R/O system for around $200.

A good water distiller will cost about $125 and it lasts for many, many years without changing a filter or any additional expense. You do have to clean the stainless steel pot after each use, because it has all of the bad stuff in it.

Have any of you thought to test the water before the filter and then after the filter?\

Yes I did test the water for chlorine and other nasty stuff I bought tablets

in a pool shop the water was perfect

Now I am not in LOS at the moment but still bought another one

( PS I am not working for Amway )

A pool shop will test some level of chemical content and pH because they want you to see and swim and in an attractive swimming pool obviously.

What goes in your guts when you swallow is a different matter entirely.

Maybe from the unit price given is a different model unit to the one I was offered. My Thai neighbour brought some university "students" to test my water . thought it part of a project . They told me my tap water was not good .They then tested water from our big "nestle / Singha" bottles and said they were good as they had expected. I was then shown the results of water from a filter system that my neighbour had for comparison. they were similar to the "Nestle / singha" samples .

They did a calculation to explain how much a filter would cost . they then explained they could provide me one .. for Bht50,000

the problem I explained was that we fill our water bottles from our a local Thai person for( 12 baht )who has a filter from Malaysia and resells it and that the water they tested was from her filter not Nestle/ Singha .. so no point me buying one, and my neighbour who religiously cleans her system makes a few baht. . I was shown pictures of lost of teachers who had bought them .. it was just incredible they could afford it, or did they buy it as part of their enrolment? .. MLM maybe a a wonderful opportunity ( I could not possibly comment my full thought). Amway products are notoriously good quality BUT initial outlay is expensive and alternatives at Home Pro or somewhere like Bann and beyond are likely more than adequate for a comparison . They will not remove everything! ..

You might get three months or six months out of a filter then they need replacing......sure they will still allow water to flow...not block up as you would expect.. Then fail to do the job.

Water will flow,,but not filtered as you expect.

Mine are six years old...but I've got rainwater tanks so the filters aren't an issue

From my experience with bore (well) water is that you really need to have it analysed . Not so much for chemicals and pollution. although that is always good to know but the level of dissolved solid IS really important. These are the ones that WILL put you in hospital and lead to kidney failure in older blokes.

What is dissolved "solid"? (English is my second language).

What I would worry somewhere outside in Thailand is the toilets. People have tanks and the junk water is collected. But drilling some holes on the bottom of the tank saves money.

Than the next one get it out from the well.....

Dissolved solids is a reference to the mineral content of water. Compounds that are typically found in solid, mineral form like carbonates of calcium and magnesium (and in well water I'd be worried about arsenic, too) are found suspended in water in a state that a layman wouldn't consider to be solid, so we call them dissolved solids. Think of sugar crystals dissolved in water.

It's this mineral content that causes problems with valves, water heaters and distillation equipment as the minerals tend to build up and create a tough layer of scale that can only be removed mechanically or with strong acids.

I ran an experiment a few years ago. When it was time to change filter, I did, but took the old one and set aside for a few weeks. That was to let the water drain and evaporate out. when convinced it was dry inside, I weighed it and compared that to the weight of a new one. Didn.t need a scale. Picked them up and was shocked how much heavier the used one was. There is that much inside, of minerals and contaminants. Unless the competitors have improved in the last several years, Amways filtration system was the only one on the market that removed lead, mercury and aluminum, among all the other crap thats in the water.

I used one for many years back in the 90's, it was a great unit although it was pricey to replace the filter it lasted for a long time. I don't know what the current going rate is for the Amway carbon filter replacement but here are a couple of links that deal with non Amway products. I thought that they might be of interest to someone.

http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/amway-compatible-water-filters.asp

http://www.carbonblocktech.com/carbon_block_buyers_guide.html?gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkgaupwGv_DNPBUD2V3_4OmDIfF3yHzA-hkg9z5-Zr0naRoCYhnw_wcB

We have had and used one for about 4 years. Our water supply is municipal pumped from our own storage tank.The makers (sellers) Amway Thailand claim a very high level of filtration from the replaceable element which not only mechanically filters the water but contains activated charcoal to filter other contaminants. A pre-filter is provided surrounding the main filter and this too is replaceable. The pre-filter takes out the largercsupeneed crap leaving the main filter to sort out the smaller stuff. Very important, yet no mentioned by other posters, is that, running centrally throught the filter is a UV lamp pillar which kills waterborne bacteria.

Up until a couple of years ago the main filter and UV lamp were availabe as separate items but now only as a combined unit.

When my wife decided to buy one I examined a showroom item and stripped it down noting that the casing is plastic and not stainless steel as I would expect for the price. The top contains the computer module the main body being a low pressure vessel with seals and the filters. All components are high quality mouldings and close fitting. I contacted Amway USA later and asked why an external SS casing was not provided and they said it was to keep costs down!

Now to running costs. They claim the main filter is good for 5000 liters of treated water or about one year and I gave found that to be about right based on our consumption (two people) and I drink a lot of water p.d. A main filter with UV lamp is just under 5000 baht. You can remove the prefilter at around 6 months and clean it and the main case and externally flush the main filter but will need a new prefilter every 18 months or more frequently with bore water or 'dirty' municipal water.

I am satisfied with the water quality and we have had no bodily problems but I accept that there are cheaper filtration/purification systems on the market. Convenience is a major factor, no more lugging in bottled water.

We have used Amway water purifier for 12 years, the one with the UV and filter. There are two models, one just with the filter and one with the UV and filter. It is a very good, reliable product. We drink the purified water right out if the tap and use it for washing food and cooking. You can taste the difference between the Amway purified water and bottled water or tap water. We have also used other water filters before Amway for over 10 years but find the Amway purifier is much better. In case anyone asks, we are not selling Amway products.

It's hard to find any technical data on the product. Seems like it hasn't been tested or independently reviewed. But even by Amway's own literature, they claim only lead reduction, not elimination. On the other hand, cheaper r/o and distillation systems will completely remove heavy metals.

Dissolved solids is a reference to the mineral content of water. Compounds that are typically found in solid, mineral form like carbonates of calcium and magnesium (and in well water I'd be worried about arsenic, too) are found suspended in water in a state that a layman wouldn't consider to be solid, so we call them dissolved solids. Think of sugar crystals dissolved in water.

It's this mineral content that causes problems with valves, water heaters and distillation equipment as the minerals tend to build up and create a tough layer of scale that can only be removed mechanically or with strong acids.

Thanks for the explanation.

Well I come from an area with a lot calcium in the water. Beside technical problems it didn't kill people.....

It's hard to find any technical data on the product. Seems like it hasn't been tested or independently reviewed. But even by Amway's own literature, they claim only lead reduction, not elimination. On the other hand, cheaper r/o and distillation systems will completely remove heavy metals.

ad UV and a mineral cartridge and there you are!.

Might want to ad a good pre filtration system as well because the small carbon and resin cartridge won't last long when water is pretty dirty.

resin needs to be regenerated often with salt water in order to keep it functioning.

Keep in mind that a water filter cannot screen out pesticides or water soluble poisons. That can only be done by water distillation.

sorry to dissapoint you.....but not true

+1

Of course distillation is a perfect method but for drinking purposes there are other methods that are good enough.

ad UV and a mineral cartridge and there you are!.

Might want to ad a good pre filtration system as well because the small carbon and resin cartridge won't last long when water is pretty dirty.

resin needs to be regenerated often with salt water in order to keep it functioning.

Carbon should be very cheap, I don't know for water filtration but for other purposes there are filters you can refill yourself.

It is even possible to make the carbon yourself (most probably not worth to do, but can be done, it is just very clean coal with a lot surface).