Positive reception to idea of prisoners working in fishing industry

Lite Beer

Positive reception to idea of prisoners working in fishing industry
By Digital Content

14166427238135-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 2 -- An idea raised by Labour Minister Gen Surasak Karnjanarat to have recently released prisoners or those to be soon released work in the fishing industry is a fine idea, said Permanent Secretary for Justice Pol Gen Chatchawal Suksomjit on Saturday.

The Justice Ministry already has a policy to offer opportunities to prisoners who are to be released or already released to return to live normally in the society.

If they have experience in working in the fishing industry and are willing to work in the field, it could help solve the current shortage of fishermen, said Pol Gen Chatchawal.

Besides helping them to turn to a new life, they could help solve human trafficking problem because many fishermen had been lured into forced labour by agents, he said.

Pol Gen Chatchawal said he would consult with his counterpart at the Labour Ministry on the issue. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-11-22

• Like 1

Does the stupidity in this country never stop?? (Rethorical question!)

Better watch what you say. I believe, in Thailand, Defamation of Character also applies to rhetorical questions.blink.png

I think he's safe unless the entire Thai population want to mount a case, and there are empirically some very stupid people in Thailand somewhere.

If the fisherman are paying the workers fair amounts and it is a real and monitored work release program then this is a rather normal thing in other places. Lots of deals in the states for low end labor and work release.

Just make sure it does not become a slave trade system via corruption, I have heard that corruption was ended in Thailand back in May or something like that.

As long as the workers are treated fair and not just rented out then it is an option for them to be out and working. It is better then a rotten cell and not just a benefit to the fishing businesses and the government.

If you think the current government might run a mock with this then I say let them have as much rope as they please - it will be a good thing if it works.

• Like 1

Lets paint this picture a different way.

Criminal in prison for thr most part become even better criminals after they have their prison training and get new connections. So imagine what will happen when you start filling boats with these men. Do you think they would turn down that offer to smuggle, kidnap, traffic, abuse, or any other illegal activity offered to them?

Or do you think they would be on their phones telling their new illegal connections how useful they can be in helping do any illegal activities needing a boat?

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I actually don't see the problem. It says quite clearly that the idea is for newly released prisoners. As long as they are paid in the correct manner, ie a livable wage and they are free to leave if it's not for them. The headline is more dramatic than the reality as is the norm for TV.

If you don't see the problem, then obviously you don't live on Planet Earth where there's been much discussion of Thailand's maritime slavery -- enforced by the Royal Thai Navy.

I actually don't see the problem. It says quite clearly that the idea is for newly released prisoners. As long as they are paid in the correct manner, ie a livable wage and they are free to leave if it's not for them. The headline is more dramatic than the reality as is the norm for TV.

No the headline is not dramatic enough considering the workingconditions within the Thai fishing-industry.

As for being " paid in a correct manner and are free to leave", where have you been the last ten years??

This is not about a better life for the ex-prisoners, but all about saving Thailands precious face before the last import countries say enough is enough!!

I am all for getting the inmates a fresh start in life, but I doubt very much, that employment within the fishingindustry is the way to go!!

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If the fisherman are paying the workers fair amounts and it is a real and monitored work release program then this is a rather normal thing in other places. Lots of deals in the states for low end labor and work release.

Just make sure it does not become a slave trade system via corruption, I have heard that corruption was ended in Thailand back in May or something like that.

As long as the workers are treated fair and not just rented out then it is an option for them to be out and working. It is better then a rotten cell and not just a benefit to the fishing businesses and the government.

If you think the current government might run a mock with this then I say let them have as much rope as they please - it will be a good thing if it works.

"just make sure it does not become a slave trade system". It's been slavery for decades. I'd appreciate it if you didn't add to Thai Visa any comments until you change your current situation which is you're stupendously ignorant of Thailand..

No the headline is not dramatic enough considering the workingconditions within the Thai fishing-industry.

As for being " paid in a correct manner and are free to leave", where have you been the last ten years??

This is not about a better life for the ex-prisoners, but all about saving Thailands precious face before the last import countries say enough is enough!!

I am all for getting the inmates a fresh start in life, but I doubt very much, that employment within the fishingindustry is the way to go!!

Correct. Do you think they will receive the minimum Thai wage of 300 baht per day at the end of a tour when the captains can get slaves from Burma and elsewhere for much less? I expect there will be a high 'accident rate' with the bodies sadly lost at sea just before payday.

• Like 1

How about get the convicts to work when they've just STARTED their sentance ?

Right, Thailand can then remove all the illegal migrant workers, and replace them with convict labour. And if consumers in America and Europe don't want to buy products produced by 'convict labour', well, all they do is make sure that fish for export is from non-convict labour (but fish that is sold in Thailand WILL be from convict labour).

Are the Thais themselves going to boycott a product from slave or convict labour ? Probably not. And in all honesty, what's so wrong about a load of convicts doing some work ? Tax money is being used to house and feed these people, why not make the prison system pay for itself ?

I wouldn't go as far as 'prisons for making a profit' though !

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker. Is the thread about Aussies they're trying to employ as fishermen now? I'd certainly agree to let them do the fishing without getting paid.

And nobody has to be send back to the UK, as they can sleep and live on their boats. Great idea from the Thai government. Congratulations Thailand. facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

Freeing experienced fishermen early for good behavior could help the fishing industry.

If they have experience in working in the fishing industry and are willing to work in the field, it could help solve the current shortage of fishermen,

as they will go find work as fishermen on their own as soon as they are free again.

There. Fixed it for you.

The free and willing do not need any programs, just point them in the right direction and give them a helping hand.

Correct. Do you think they will receive the minimum Thai wage of 300 baht per day at the end of a tour when the captains can get slaves from Burma and elsewhere for much less? I expect there will be a high 'accident rate' with the bodies sadly lost at sea just before payday.

It's standard behavior for Thai Police to raid a factory, find it's full of undocumented workers, haul them off, Thus the factory owner after months of work from slaves doesn't have to pay one baht "just before payday".

My dear generals, sitting in your air-conditioned offices, when the prisoners have paid their duty to society and are released, it is their life. Nothing to do with you anymore.

Maybe hard to understand for the servants of feudal masters, that even ex-convicts have the right to decide over their own future!!

still bitter about yingluk..move on

• Like 1

How are they going to manage these people, remunerate them, control their conditions, regulate the companies receiving their service?

Now if they are just to replace the people that were enslaved, bad idea. I have worked with people from goal and they are no fools. If they see you are taking advantage of them, it does no good for their rehabilitation.

Everyone has rights. What they should be achieving is to decrease recidivism.