'Billions' of Baht worth of assets found at Thai CIB chief's home

webfact

Following discussions in various Thai chats, we may all be looking in the wrong directions here .....

The assumption that this is an anti-corruption play or a power play by those in charge overlooks the possibility that this is just part of a domestic dispute. I mean it can happen anywhere, husband and wife fallout and the wife's family & friends are caught up in the shit fight ....

Layers and layers and layers ...... :)

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How good would it be if all the corrupt thai's amassing huge wealth was caught stripped of all their assets and given hard labour, and the money used to help the poor.

And the best way to help the poor would be to use the money to increase police salaries to a more liveable level so they didn't need to supplement them through corruption.

That's a joke right ?????

Often stated, but a false and highly unbelievable solution......Doing that would just make them lazier..... they would get a higher salary and still perpetrate the corruption practices..... If you sincerely believe what you stated , you're around to many smokers

What is absolutely clear is that low police pay means that they need to supplement their income. Increasing their base pay is a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for there to be change. So no, it's not a joke. The challenge is to identify and effect whatever else must change.

With reference to your posts, I have to assume one of two circumstances.

1 You are a policeman yourself

or

2 You are surely living in a dream world.

With the level of , or I should more correctly state complete lack of self discipline by way too many in this country, what could possible make you think that if they received more salary , that they would give up the gravy train voluntarily ?

That is just wishful thinking , not only for the police, but for 90% of people in this country. To many examples in this country of "Me-ism". Its gotten to be a way of life over the decades and the mai pen rai attitude has done naught to even attempt correcting it.

Dream on ....... it only sounds like a good solution.....

What about the minimum wage increase installed by the last gov't...... did production improve any..... NO..... It accomplished vote buying for some and a great deal of lost jobs for many , with many more jobs to be lost .... But YES is sounds good to have it.

Sorry to contradict you but pay levels in the UK for various official jobs are enhanced to try and combat corruption.

The Pm is doing some awesome job. However, I don't think he will ever get to the end of the line of millions of corrupt people in here.

He has already admitted that when he said there would still be lot's of work to do after the elections. do not be taken in by the corruption backers who say he is doing nothing elect some one else.

I would applaud this greatly if I did not having nagging feeling this was not about corruption as much as a political purge. Allay my fears and make some raids on similar level officers homes etc who happen to support the current power brokers. Anyone who thinks only red side has this kind of looted money lying about is naive in the extreme, or just got here.

Since when are police political. They are not a political body. all though obviously they were rewarded by certain politicians for their shall we say special favors. Or relationship.

The gossip about suggests this is more a case of him losing a powerful supporter rather than a political issue. Unfortunately it is not something we are allowed to discuss.

• Like 1

How good would it be if all the corrupt thai's amassing huge wealth was caught stripped of all their assets and given hard labour, and the money used to help the poor.

And the best way to help the poor would be to use the money to increase police salaries to a more liveable level so they didn't need to supplement them through corruption.

Often stated, but a false and highly unbelievable solution......Doing that would just make them lazier..... they would get a higher salary and still perpetrate the corruption practices..... If you sincerely believe what you stated , you're around to many smokers

What is absolutely clear is that low police pay means that they need to supplement their income. Increasing their base pay is a necessary (but not sufficient) criterion for there to be change. So no, it's not a joke. The challenge is to identify and effect whatever else must change.

or

With the level of , or I should more correctly state complete lack of self discipline by way too many in this country, what could possible make you think that if they received more salary , that they would give up the gravy train voluntarily ?

That is just wishful thinking , not only for the police, but for 90% of people in this country. To many examples in this country of "Me-ism". Its gotten to be a way of life over the decades and the mai pen rai attitude has done naught to even attempt correcting it.

What about the minimum wage increase installed by the last gov't...... did production improve any..... NO..... It accomplished vote buying for some and a great deal of lost jobs for many , with many more jobs to be lost .... But YES is sounds good to have it.

Sorry to contradict you but pay levels in the UK for various official jobs are enhanced to try and combat corruption.

You equate the UK with Thailand on corruption????

There are millions of folks in Thailand making less of a salary than policeman..... do they go around in mass numbers with masks and hatchets robbing people??? Come on wake up to reality. Each and every policeman knew the responsibility of the job as well as the compensation salary before choosing to apply. They knew the salary ...... why did they want to join up.......only the most naïve would think it wasn't for the added perks provided by corruption

• Like 1

Thank you General. OK, all you assorted Doubting Thomas's, PTP/UDDsupporters & Yingluck enamored individuals . You (and we) know who you are!! Would Thailand have got this under Yingluck????? Really????? Thailand feels a happier safer place already. Unless you happen to be a bent copper. Quite a few nights sleep will be ruined tonight for some individuals, I imagine. Hurriedly digging the vegetable patch, packing suitcases, driving frantically into the forest or heading for the Cambodian and Myanmar border, among other activities. The next few days will be interesting.

• Like 2

The Pm is doing some awesome job. However, I don't think he will ever get to the end of the line of millions of corrupt people in here.

He has already admitted that when he said there would still be lot's of work to do after the elections. do not be taken in by the corruption backers who say he is doing nothing elect some one else.

I would applaud this greatly if I did not having nagging feeling this was not about corruption as much as a political purge. Allay my fears and make some raids on similar level officers homes etc who happen to support the current power brokers. Anyone who thinks only red side has this kind of looted money lying about is naive in the extreme, or just got here.

Since when are police political. They are not a political body. all though obviously they were rewarded by certain politicians for their shall we say special favors. Or relationship.

The gossip about suggests this is more a case of him losing a powerful supporter rather than a political issue. Unfortunately it is not something we are allowed to discuss.

Exactly this .....

• Like 2

Thank you General. OK, all you assorted Doubting Thomas's, PTP/UDDsupporters & Yingluck enamored individuals . You (and we) know who you are!! Would Thailand have got this under Yingluck????? Really????? Thailand feels a happier safer place already. Unless you happen to be a bent copper. Quite a few nights sleep will be ruined tonight for some individuals, I imagine. Hurriedly digging the vegetable patch, packing suitcases, driving frantically into the forest or heading for the Cambodian and Myanmar border, among other activities. The next few days will be interesting.

I like optimists :)

• Like 1

or

You equate the UK with Thailand on corruption????

There are millions of folks in Thailand making less of a salary than policeman..... do they go around in mass numbers with masks and hatchets robbing people??? Come on wake up to reality. Each and every policeman knew the responsibility of the job as well as the compensation salary before choosing to apply. They knew the salary ...... why did they want to join up.......only the most naïve would think it wasn't for the added perks provided by corruption

Not at all. UK and USA and various other countries have learnt a bit over the years. All far from perfect. Perfection will never happen. Just observe local life here and minor corruption is a given.

It was reported that a committee has been set up to consider disciplinary actions against the CIB commissioner and five other officers.

Skip the %$@& disciplinary actions. Go straight to major criminal charges. Time to stop this softly-softly nonsense.

Memo to state prosecutors and judiciary: This is actually quite a bit more serious offending than forest mushroom picking or selling a few second hand copy CD's.

A slap on the wrist with a damp tram ticket WILL NOT SUFFICE!!!

• Like 1

Please note: "Central Investigation Bureau commander Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan, who has been suspended from service after being charged with several crimes, including lese majeste, a police source said late yesterday."

Including Lese Majeste, aligning those who do not necessarily support the King against those who do. Remember, the Army traditionally supports his majesty, as has been shown in previous coups. Let's hope this clean-up or -out continues. Do you see a change? I do. Have you been worse-off under martial law? I have not. I like what's happening, including the immigration tightening, and hope it continues.

I believe the charge of Lese Majeste is often used here as it is easier to put someone in prison for that offence than for the actual crime committed.

Perhaps the fact that such a high Thai official being involved in such unfavorable light is an affront to the King.

Please note: "Central Investigation Bureau commander Lt-General Pongpat Chayaphan, who has been suspended from service after being charged with several crimes, including lese majeste, a police source said late yesterday."

Including Lese Majeste, aligning those who do not necessarily support the King against those who do. Remember, the Army traditionally supports his majesty, as has been shown in previous coups. Let's hope this clean-up or -out continues. Do you see a change? I do. Have you been worse-off under martial law? I have not. I like what's happening, including the immigration tightening, and hope it continues.

I believe the charge of Lese Majeste is often used here as it is easier to put someone in prison for that offence than for the actual crime committed.

Perhaps the fact that such a high Thai official being involved in such unfavorable light is an affront to the King.

Stretching it a bit far but possible.

My naive friend, do you really think, it is good vs bad??

The truth is, that a gang of corrupt red cops are being replaced with a gang of just as corrupt yellow cops!!

People like you, believing in this cleanup story, are one of the reasons, that Thailand will remain stagnant for ever!!

Good vs bad. My backside!! They are all equally rotten!!coffee1.gif

When will the country get away from the colour of your shirt?

• Like 1

It has long been known that the largest group of organised criminals in Thailand is the Police Force. Hats off to the main man for exposing these disgusting parasites, and hopefully they will not just be transferred to "inactive" posts. General Prayuth, you have the support and backing of every intelligent person, expat or thai, in the country, though in reality it is probably just the tip of the iceberg :)

Strike one!!! Only 999.999 to go.

Oh, come on. This is much much more than "strike one" and you know it. You just can't admit it.

I'll admit that I'm surprised ... delightfully so. And, yes, there's much more to be done. But this major bust of upper echelon police officials is a very good move that well demonstrates the new governments words are actually being followed my real action.

Right now I'm sure there are a lot of corrupt cops, politicians, government officials, etc., etc. quaking in their boots and dreading the knock on the door. 555 I love it!

The chief of police buy the positions. The more money, the better the area. 3 million baht for Phuket I was told at one time. So everybody knows what's going on, I did wonder who they were paying? It can only be upwards of the food chain...

Oh, come on. This is much much more than "strike one" and you know it. You just can't admit it.

I'll admit that I'm surprised ... delightfully so. And, yes, there's much more to be done. But this major bust of upper echelon police officials is a very good move that well demonstrates the new governments words are actually being followed my real action.

Right now I'm sure there are a lot of corrupt cops, politicians, government officials, etc., etc. quaking in their boots and dreading the knock on the door. 555 I love it!

The day Prayuth orders an investigation into the unusual wealth of the guy behind this crackdown, Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang, that is the day I believe change is actually taking place!!

Will ofcourse never happen since Khun Somyot was handpicked by Prayuth.

What we are seeing, is just a change of guards!!coffee1.gif

• Like 2

The day Prayuth orders an investigation into the unusual wealth of the guy behind this crackdown, Pol Gen Somyot Pumpanmuang, that is the day I believe change is actually taking place!!

Will ofcourse never happen since Khun Somyot was handpicked by Prayuth.

What we are seeing, is just a change of guards!!coffee1.gif

Point is what? A previous man in charge managed to declare his assets near zero. The US questioned it but all was well.

Again, for those trumpeting this as a big effort by the general, perhaps read the Thai chatter online, including from the hiso end of Thai Society....

It appears this is not an anti-corruption strike by the current government at all. But rather the result of a domestic umm reorganisation and the fallout for connected networks...

It may well be reported as part of a "crackdown".... but the chatter suggests that's just a happy coincidence. A bit too much triumphalism from those pro the current government who've had a rough few weeks methinks :)

• Like 2

Great work PM keep the pressure because this type of action is the only way thailand will earn back credibility and may slowly reduce corruption I hope the next big police news story is related to koh tao.

Nothing to do with the PM!!

Internal police-business.......the loot is moved to another policepocket!!

I think you will find it has everything to with the PM do you honestly think he had no knowledge or input leading up to these arrests?

Great work PM keep the pressure because this type of action is the only way thailand will earn back credibility and may slowly reduce corruption I hope the next big police news story is related to koh tao.

Nothing to do with the PM!!

Internal police-business.......the loot is moved to another policepocket!!

I think you will find it has everything to with the PM do you honestly think he had no knowledge or input leading up to these arrests?

You really do seem to have a somewhat linear/black & white take on Thai politics. Game of thrones must do your head in :)

• Like 1

1 Billion baht in cash is physically a staggering amount. Must have been a big house. Similar to the story (forgot the name) of the transport minister whose house was robbed, only for the robbers to find sack after sack of 1000B bank notes. Still haven't heard the results of that case.

So....to those that bang on about my negative and even hostile feelings towards Thailand......do you wonder why?

Thailand has become a cesspit.

I hope to heck the new boys can clean up the mess.

Cesspit? Still here? Left in disgust? Did you live in a location renowned for low moral standards? Idiotic post.

The chief of police buy the positions. The more money, the better the area. 3 million baht for Phuket I was told at one time. So everybody knows what's going on, I did wonder who they were paying? It can only be upwards of the food chain...

3 million baht?? No my friend it is much more expensive!!

A couple of years back the policechief in Hua Hin bought his position for 40 million baht. Money he according to a normally wellinformed source borrowed from the local temple. (!!!)

And it makes sense, because according to BP today one of the accused in this case (not the OP guy) admitted to recieving 2-3 million baht each month in bribemoney, and his "network" recieved 12-15 million baht each month!!

When you see and hear those numbers, it makes it easier to understand the police "incompetence" on Koh Tao. The top guys couldn't care less about the reputation of the RTP or Thailand, it is all about protecting the cashflow. Which ironically puts the headman and his family in danger, because they know too much!!

Sure all Thaivisa posters would be griefstrucken, if something should happen to this lovely family!!

Exactly this .....

Not sure I follow. So the PM lost a "powerful" supporter? Why is that, what did he do wrong? Then he retaliates? Isn't that a very risky move?