Hong Kong protests: Dozens arrested as sites demolished

webfact

Hong Kong protests: Dozens arrested as sites demolished

(BBC) Police in Hong Kong say 116 protesters have been arrested during clashes since Tuesday, as operations to dismantle activist camps continue.

The authorities, acting on court orders, are clearing part of the Mong Kok commercial district in Kowloon.

Activists say two prominent student leaders are among those detained.

Overnight on Tuesday, protesters fought running battles on the streets around Nathan Road, with police using batons and pepper spray.

Police were seen detaining more people on Wednesday.

The offences include assaulting police, possessing offensive weapons and obstructing officers.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-30204699

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-11-26

This was always going to be the outcome, only surprise to me is that it didn't happen sooner. I was there last month and there was severe disruption in the Admiralty and Causeway Bay areas. What sympathy they had quickly disappeared when it stopped people making money.

The Boyz in Beijing not only have alienated the first generation born in Hong Kong since their 1997 takeover of the former British colony, but they have also managed to radicalize it against the CCP authorities in Hong Kong and in Beijing.

Student Leaders Joshua Wong, Lester Shum Arrested in Mong Kok Clearing

By Larry Ong, Epoch Times | November 25, 2014

When asked by Joshua Wong, the bailiffs refused to answer questions on whether people were considered to be “obstacles” for removal.

According to the South China Morning Post, Wong said police were using the court operation as a pretext for removing the protesters. He also accused the bailiffs of failing to properly explain the court order.

“Many people arrived in Mong Kok last night because they were unhappy about police overstepping their mark,” said Wong, adding that protesters need to “hold the fort” in in Mong Kok and Causeway Bay.

• 459018336.jpg

Joshua Wong (L), co-founder and president of the student democracy group Scholarism, an unidentified female student democracy demonstrator, and Lester Shum, deputy secretary general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students, pictured at the Admiralty demonstration site on November 25, 2014. Both student democracy leaders were arrested together today at the Mong Kok protest site

B3Vw1uACIAAGDif.jpg

The moment when police took @HKFS1958 student leader Lester Shum away.

(Screencap from video I shot for @Reuters)

Police arrest protest leader Joshua Wong in Hong Kong's Civic Square

joshua-wong-arrested-data.jpg

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1104645-hong-kong-breaking-joshua-wong-and-lester-shum-arrested-in-mong-kok-clearing/?sidebar=morein

Edited by Publicus

People have come from around the world to Hong Kong for one purpose – protect the students of Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement.

Some have even quit their jobs to travel half way around the world to do it.

What is it about these kids that have inspired such devotion?

Hear from some at the Mong Kok protest site what inspires them.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1077885-protecting-the-students-of-hong-kongs-umbrella-movement/

Poetic really. I recall the glee which many Hong Kong residents greeted at the handback of Hong Kong to China.

We are free at last from imperial masters was the mantra of many..

Looks like those gleeful gullible characters have been well and truly bitten on their bums.

18834-mean-agressive-little-dog-biting-a

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

A friend opined recently that the HK debacle would bring the Chinese politburo to its knees. It hasn't, and I knew it wouldn't. However, there are other brewing imbroglios which could achieve it:

>>> Tibet (military occupation from 60 years ago. Tibetans don't forget easily.)

>>> Taiwan (hundreds of Chinese missiles are aimed at Taiwan)

>>> peasant revolt (they happen every few decades in China)

>>> economic implosion I: (how much longer can they keep building gargantuan concrete cities with no residents?)

>>> Economic implosion II (real estate bubble + overpriced housing + 10 million unpaid loans = problems)

>>> S.China Sea and hassles with Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia

>>> Hassles with Japan over islands

Poetic really. I recall the glee which many Hong Kong residents greeted at the handback of Hong Kong to China.

Looks like those gleeful gullible characters have been well and truly bitten on their bums.

I knew very few, actually I didn't know any HK residents who greeted the handover with glee. There were some vocal people and a very large number who kept silent for good reason. The thousands and thousands of people who left HK and obtained a 2nd passport says more about what they think/thought about China's takeover than any words spoken by a vocal minority.

It's over because it had nothing to stand on when it started

What was a right to protest under the laws of HK became a civil burden and outright stupidity as blocking the most important main roads of business and commerce will never endear the students to the citizens

A dumb replica of protests they seen on CNN thinking it will work and invoke public sentiments ....sadly most Chinese are mostly pragmatic and practical and it's time for the kids to go back to school

Staying in tents may seem cool but it does not guarantee you a job or flat / apartment in the future and everyone knows that.

The Boyz in Beijing not only have alienated the first generation born in Hong Kong since their 1997 takeover of the former British colony, but they have also managed to radicalize it against the CCP authorities in Hong Kong and in Beijing.

When asked by Joshua Wong, the bailiffs refused to answer questions on whether people were considered to be “obstacles” for removal.

According to the South China Morning Post, Wong said police were using the court operation as a pretext for removing the protesters. He also accused the bailiffs of failing to properly explain the court order.

“Many people arrived in Mong Kok last night because they were unhappy about police overstepping their mark,” said Wong, adding that protesters need to “hold the fort” in in Mong Kok and Causeway Bay.

• 459018336.jpg

Joshua Wong (L), co-founder and president of the student democracy group Scholarism, an unidentified female student democracy demonstrator, and Lester Shum, deputy secretary general of the Hong Kong Federation of Students, pictured at the Admiralty demonstration site on November 25, 2014. Both student democracy leaders were arrested together today at the Mong Kok protest site

B3Vw1uACIAAGDif.jpg

03c69be1349a69fb10718fcc0a66aade_normal.Venus Wu @wu_venusFollow

12:16 PM - 26 Nov 2014

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1104645-hong-kong-breaking-joshua-wong-and-lester-shum-arrested-in-mong-kok-clearing/?sidebar=morein

With a public arrest like this , Joshua and his merry man are guaranteed jobs in western backed firms for sure as they like creativity , spontaneity and character or just to piss China in the pot.

As for now progressing through Hong Kong main stream culture ...I don't believe they will have any luck but they chose their path and now will accept the responsibilities along with it of public judgement and opinions

I knew very few, actually I didn't know any HK residents who greeted the handover with glee. There were some vocal people and a very large number who kept silent for good reason. The thousands and thousands of people who left HK and obtained a 2nd passport says more about what they think/thought about China's takeover than any words spoken by a vocal minority.

Have to agree. I never met anyone who was looking forward to coming under Chinese rule.

• Like 1

What was a right to protest under the laws of HK became a civil burden and outright stupidity as blocking the most important main roads of business and commerce will never endear the students to the citizens

A dumb replica of protests they seen on CNN thinking it will work and invoke public sentiments ....sadly most Chinese are mostly pragmatic and practical and it's time for the kids to go back to school

Staying in tents may seem cool but it does not guarantee you a job or flat / apartment in the future and everyone knows that.

They are not concerned or obsessed with jobs and money like previous generations. They want freedom - a huge difference and much more valuable commodity. Freedom to choose their own future. Who doesn't want that???

They are not concerned or obsessed with jobs and money like previous generations. They want freedom - a huge difference and much more valuable commodity. Freedom to choose their own future. Who doesn't want that???

This article is the reality in Hong Kong ...it's not just about obsession with jobs or money ...it's about survival forming a family buying a house.

surely if you have kids you would want them to fulfill their full potential ...the reality in HK, Seoul, Tokyo, Singapore is that you need a good education and job to sustain living in an expensive city

There would be exceptions to the norm however wanting a good standard of living is not an obsession it's a reality in most asian cities

Can freedom to choose a government guarantees happiness ? I am unsure is that is the crux ....most HK and asian are pragmatic ...

Asians need a functioning government that minds it's own business ...the CCP has not interfered much and I am unsure if asking for all is really that important ?

Did any of the free democracies in the world really choose your candidates ... ?

I Is that really a choice in the "free" world or just generations of family politics

( Philippines Singapore Indonesia Myanmar Thailand all seem to offering 2-3 generation candidates and you dont see the citizens asking for more as they realize it's a waste of time interfering in politics ...)

http://m.wsj.com/articles/BL-CJB-18458

Edited by LawrenceChee

The CCP are unrealistic and live in their own fantasy world of dictators, ideology, indoctrination, censorship, oppression, repression, institutional corruption and much more that is destructive. The Chinese Communist Party have, in the words of investor Jim Chanos who spent years hollering about the U.S. housing bubble, "created a banking system built on quicksand."

Xi Jinping and the CCP Boyz in Beijing are in a manic overdrive to reverse Hong Kong to "just another city in China" and they call this retrogression and the whole of their nightmare the "Chinese Dream."

The poster is wrong and short sighted, if not blind to reality and to the literal practicalities of everyday life and to people's real aspirations. I for instance spent several years in the streets demonstrating against the Vietnam War and for civil rights for black Americans while getting gassed and my head cracked by police clubs, yet I got my job, my flat, my house, BMW, professional career during which I applied my experiences and what I learned about society and its institutions. I've spent a lifetime involved in government, politics, society and pursuing cultural changes.

I got radicalized and it has stayed with me, prominently. The first generation of Hong Kong youth to grow up under the CCP and its unreal denial of their legitimate and pragmatic aspirations, goals, life choices, will only become stronger and more determined to breathe the air of freedom and to realize a sustainable prosperity the CCP is wholly incapable of delivering.

The Umbrella Movement demonstrating in the streets of HKG reject the arrogant and condescending enslavement the CCP Boyz in Beijing aggressively pursue everywhere and always, as does the large and effective Sunflower Revolution in Taiwan. China has been unrealistic and impractical every day for the past 200 years yet have learned nothing from it.

Edited by Publicus

• 459018336.jpg

B3Vw1uACIAAGDif.jpg

03c69be1349a69fb10718fcc0a66aade_normal.Venus Wu @wu_venusFollow

12:16 PM - 26 Nov 2014

With a public arrest like this , Joshua and his merry man are guaranteed jobs in western backed firms for sure as they like creativity , spontaneity and character or just to piss China in the pot.

As for now progressing through Hong Kong main stream culture ...I don't believe they will have any luck but they chose their path and now will accept the responsibilities along with it of public judgement and opinions

Of course the student leaders are going to get arrested by the authorities on orders from the CCP Boyz in Beijing.

It comes with the territory and these boys know it....besides, what student leaders worth their salt haven't ever had the courts and their enthusiastic and patriotic lackey police gorillas come to haul them away for contempt of a contemptible court that protects a vile system, whether the system is in Beijing or in Ferguson.

It is difficult to believe among supporters of a censoring and especially punishing authoritarian dictatorship, but it is possible and even normal for people to acquire and form convictions and values of their own, on their own, independent of the indoctrinating and arbitrary dictators who look out only for themselves while the pennies of their miserable corruption trickle down to a billion swindled PRChinese.

This first generation to grow up under CCP rule over HKG reject it outright as they campaign to remake HKG to their aspirations and goals, and to accomplish that by showing their elders who believe the dictators always win that the dictators and their advocates are born losers.

These students and their leaders know very well and acutely that they are the natural successors of an earlier generation of young Chinese who paid for their convictions with their lives

lszvwlu.jpg

Tiananmen Square, Beijing, June 4, 1989 as tanks of the People's Liberation Army hold their position after

machine gunning pro-democracy demonstrators and destroying a temporary holding area for bicycles.

• Like 1

I hope Joshua and Lester will be okay. Quite happy if the UK offers them asylum.

Each got bailed out right away for the bargain bond of HK $500 (US $65) even though this wuz the second arrest for each since the ongoing rounds of protest began.

The first arrests were back in October when Lester got a bit OTT one quiet Friday night by yelling charge at the government central building, grabbing Joshua by the collar to drag him into it so both got put away in the police cooler until court convened the following Monday. Kind of a character building experience I always said during my heyday in the streets of Washington, New York and Boston to do battle against the forces of evil. smile.png

Joshua got bruised up a tad while in custody the first time so the authorities granted an easy bail bond immediately lest 1 million girls start pelting the police with eggs again any time they see a cop anywhere in the city.....ahh yes, to be a student leader again....thumbsup.gif And yes Joshua, the police everywhere do like to smack those parts.

Still, the student protest leaders have a battery of high powered and high priced lawyers pro bono looking after them.....all I ever got in my day was one lonely ACLU attorney, two of 'em actually.

Joshua Wong has been released on HK$500 (about $65) bail, according to Hong Kong publication Ming Pao.

Two men pelted Wong with eggs after he left the courtroom. They were arrested on the spot.

459636668.jpg

Speaking to reporters outside the courthouse, Wong said: “We didn’t have any physical conflict with bailiffs and workers, we just asked questions.”

“I was hurt during my arrest on my face and neck, also repeatedly, six or seven times, they hit my groin.”

“Why do police even want to hurt my private parts?”

459636678.jpg

Student leader Joshua Wong (L) speaks to reporters outside a courthouse after he was released on bail in Hong Kong on November 27, 2014. A court in the semi-autonomous city banned the pro-democracy leader from entering a busy urban district one day after he was arrested from a major protest site when police moved in to clear out protesters. (Aaron Tam/AFP/Getty Images)

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1107402-hong-kong-student-leader-joshua-wong-to-appear-in-court-on-thursday/

Here btw are the facts from China Uncensored about the Brits vs the CCP concerning democracy in HKG as revealed by recently released Foreign Office diplomatic cables of the 1950s and early 1960s....Mao stopped cold London's plan to begin elections in HKG when he said the PLA would invade HKG to stop democracy occurring there, which is why it never was introduced by the Brits. These reports that came out the past week are in the MSM as well. It's just that China Uncensored gives the news a certain penache.