Maintenance cost for condo

Beng

cobber,

presently your 30 baht fee,is about on the money

My condo management wants to take it up to 45 Baht/sqm. That's why I'm asking other condo owners about their costs.

700bht/year for 85m2 in the big pink condo between Tesco superhighway and the river.

Cheers mate. Very interesting. Hopefully, we can get some more inputs on this matter.

cobber,

presently your 30 baht fee,is about on the money

My condo management wants to take it up to 45 Baht/sqm. That's why I'm asking other condo owners about their costs.

700bht/year for 85m2 in the big pink condo between Tesco superhighway and the river.

Cheers mate. Very interesting. Hopefully, we can get some more inputs on this matter.

My start point would be to you scrutinise the monthly management accounts so you can see how much is coming in ( many non-payers not being chased??) and how much is going out and what for. . If possible check current year against previous and look for significant variances.

But very hard if not impossible to make comparisons between condos as facilities vary so much. With or without lift, pool,sentries,gardens, etc etc etc

Hope this helps- 45bht seems way too high though. I would be very suspicious of a sudden 50% increase, and surely they will need to achieve a vote threshold at an egm/agm - and 50% will take some selling.

• Like 1

Condo's in Chiang Mai charge roughly between 10 and 50 Baht /sq m/month

Older condos seem to charge less, the new ones much more. Doesn't really make much sense since the older condos have higher maintenance costs - surely something just built doesn't require any repairs in the first couple of years? My suspicion is that they use the condo fee (and making you pay two years in advance) to enable the finishing touches to be done to the building and are, in effect, part of the cost of buying a unit.

But the newer condos also seem to have very high costs on their 'outside' - lovely lobbies and lots of uniformed staff that gives them a very good first impression as you walk in. Suppose that helps them sell the units.

Big condos should be cheaper to run per sq m than small condos - almost regardless of size all condos would need one security person on duty at all times, one office staff and 1 or 2 cleaners. A big condo would employ their own technician that is cheaper then bringing in contractors for every job.

There is also the 'hidden' costs - some condos have a separate sinking fund or insurance that can be a few Baht a month extra. These can be found in older condos since increasing the condo fee can be very hard work (or even impossible), but increasing the sinking fund or insurance is much easier.

Condo's in Chiang Mai charge roughly between 10 and 50 Baht /sq m/month

Older condos seem to charge less, the new ones much more. Doesn't really make much sense since the older condos have higher maintenance costs - surely something just built doesn't require any repairs in the first couple of years? My suspicion is that they use the condo fee (and making you pay two years in advance) to enable the finishing touches to be done to the building and are, in effect, part of the cost of buying a unit.

But the newer condos also seem to have very high costs on their 'outside' - lovely lobbies and lots of uniformed staff that gives them a very good first impression as you walk in. Suppose that helps them sell the units.

Big condos should be cheaper to run per sq m than small condos - almost regardless of size all condos would need one security person on duty at all times, one office staff and 1 or 2 cleaners. A big condo would employ their own technician that is cheaper then bringing in contractors for every job.

There is also the 'hidden' costs - some condos have a separate sinking fund or insurance that can be a few Baht a month extra. These can be found in older condos since increasing the condo fee can be very hard work (or even impossible), but increasing the sinking fund or insurance is much easier.

Some good points here. Thanks for your input.

They actually charge as much as they can get away with, nothing to do with the upkeep.

The more money you pay for a condo, the more they think you will pay in upkeep (most of which they pocket).

Older condos with a mainly Thai resident base, owners just refuse to pay anything if they up the fees.

Foreigners can be more easily fleeced.