Are there any motorcycle taxis in CNX city ?

Beng

There are some, yes.

But mostly in specific locations, they're not a city-wide form of public transport.

Any clue to these locations?

They used to be at the Arcade and I would occasionally catch a ride home with one.

I haven't seen them for a while... but then I haven't needed them and haven't looked.

Maybe they're still around, or maybe they've been muscled out by some rival mafia.

Moto-taxis? Many in VN, they even carry a helmet for you. Not bad in quiet places, need some gumption in dense traffic, or superhiways. Those 'trikes' found in Phill Islands are similar but no helmet needed. Both in PI and VN mobs of these guys on every corner. I suspect more of them will be coming here before too long as economy shrinks and tuk-tuks continue to demand more money.

Well, elektrified, ordinarily i would agree with your opinion on mounting one of these, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Moto-taxis? Many in VN, they even carry a helmet for you. Not bad in quiet places, need some gumption in dense traffic, or superhiways. Those 'trikes' found in Phill Islands are similar but no helmet needed. Both in PI and VN mobs of these guys on every corner. I suspect more of them will be coming here before too long as economy shrinks and tuk-tuks continue to demand more money.

Well, elektrified, ordinarily i would agree with your opinion on mounting one of these, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Agreed... there are times when "you gotta go".

I've mounted more ferocious things than moto-taxis and had some wild rides that I'll never forget.

Whether or not Chiang Mai sees more of them will depend upon the degree of regulation imposed by government/underworld forces.

If left to operate freely - or relatively freely - it wouldn't be hard to imagine them becoming omnipresent as samlors were years ago.

The cheapest and most convenient form of transportation for the chow ban and low-budget travellers.

I've mounted more ferocious things than moto-taxis and had some wild rides that I'll never forget.

Whether or not Chiang Mai sees more of them will depend upon the degree of regulation imposed by government/underworld forces.

If left to operate freely - or relatively freely - it wouldn't be hard to imagine them becoming omnipresent as samlors were years ago.

The cheapest and most convenient form of transportation for the chow ban and low-budget travellers.

On my first trip to BKK a group of us split into two tuk tuks and stupidly said "Bt100 to the first one there, and Bt10 a wheelie".

I'd recommend it for a near death experience.

biggrin.png

• Like 2

UK TUK'S

On my first trip to BKK a group of us split into two tuk tuks and stupidly said "Bt100 to the first one there, and Bt10 a wheelie".

I'd recommend it for a near death experience.

biggrin.png

Yes, tuk tuk's can be frightening when driven at high speed. You don't have much more protection than you do on a motorbike and they don't take the corners nearly as well.

I'll never forget a white-knuckle, sphincter-puckering tuk tuk ride early in the morning from Morchit to the Southern Bus Terminal with a young lunatic hopped-up on something. Wherever traffic was heavy he would take to the footpath... it was like 1920's slapstick comedy, the Keystone Kops or Charlie Chaplin.

Another memorable experience was with a girl [yes there are a few] on a moto in a Lat Phrao soi that was being excavated for a big drain pipe. She side-swiped a worker carrying a load of lumber and knocked him into the ditch. Without a moments hesitation she gunned it and off we went.

Amazing Thailand!

Tuk Tuks are smelly and uncomfy. Not to mention the noise.

And not to mention, unless you are a midget, you can't see out for landmarks where you are going,You find yourself eyeing off the inside of the roof or having to stoop to see they are taking you where you want to go.

Since this summer, there are more of the newer red tuk tuks around. They're much more quiet than the old ones, actually don't smell, and, bigger (if you can believe it, even tall people can see out of them without stooping!). Try them, you'll like them. I'd also note that you can only get in these newer type tuk tuks from the left side.

It's been rare but I have on occasion seen motorsy taxis around here; however, have never used one (and likely never will).