What is worth take to Thailand or back to Europe?

Hannu

We will fly from Germany to Bangkok and back to Germany this month and have about 70kg free luggage allowance that we will not use. Is there anything worth to take to Thailand for sale or take from there to sell it in germany? Should be legal, no fakes, and I'm willing to pay customs and tax. Not planing to spend a lot time in selling small things like earrings. Have you any inspiration for me?

if you know a thai restaurant owner back in Germany, you could ask them if they needed lemongrass fresh cuts from the local markets. They pay a hefty price for imported fresh lemongrass and green eggplants in german consumables. If you paid less than 80 Euro in Thailand, you can import customs free into Germany. Actually, personal goods worth 400+ Euro can be legally imported ( "personal" meaning it must be clearly for your own use). As lemongrass or herbs and spices are not meat or fish product, it is OK for import to Germany. I would however only bring it over if there is genuine interest from a restaurant or somebody as a guarantee that you can actually get rid of it back in Germany.

For goods importing INTO Thailand, well, the same rule applies, you'd really need to know somebody's needs and then you can carry across what is needed. Refrigerated products are risky, if they can't be refrigerated immediately after arrival. On my most recent hop across I brought my girlfriend canned "Heringe in Tomatensauce" and "Heringe in Senfsauce" . . .the savings are marginal, but they were happily received . . . .wink.png

Edited by crazygreg44

My chinese wife is with me wink.png

Is it allowed to take cheese to Thailand? But even it would be allowed, who should I sell it. I guess its a little hard to find someone. I always take milkpowder to china, thats a great profit with less work because most of the time there is just one person who buy all I have.

Gemstones doesn't look to bad, will think about that.

My chinese wife is with me wink.png

Is it allowed to take cheese to Thailand? But even it would be allowed, who should I sell it. I guess its a little hard to find someone. I always take milkpowder to china, thats a great profit with less work because most of the time there is just one person who buy all I have.

Gemstones doesn't look to bad, will think about that.

the hint on gemstones is an IRONIC post, you better don't do what he suggested !! The "gemstone scam" is a well known, old scam that has been around since tourists started to arrive in Thailand

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

I'd buy 70kg of gemstones for resale in Europe. You'll be able to retire on the profits. Just walk around the Grand Palace and let a friendly local guide you to the best local shops.

It is not easy to get REAL no cooked semi precious stones. Better to ask a local buyer for referrals. But ruby and jade are cheap in Thailand and Burma and very expensive in Europe and the US. Real silk and cashmere too. Bring me cheese for the tip. Thank you.

Don't know any restaurant owner, so i guess I shouldn't try it with fresh lemongras. You can also buy it in any asia shop, can't see why it should be so expensive for thais to get it in germany.

Just compare the price a thai in Germany has to pay in the 'asia-shops' to the price at the local thai markets, then you would see the price in Germany is by 3 - 4 times that much ! That's just why I recommended packing your luggage with as much lemongrass as fits in, because you can surely get the double price for it when selling to an interested person.

However you really need to speak to a thai restaurant owner first, in order to get more info. Try to find one who might be interested. Also talking about other than lemongrass, spices perhaps !?

Bringing cheese into Thailand, a sure bet, but you must be aware when they start to unload luggage from the airplane to the boxcars, it is already inside a 38 degree environment, and the longer it stays there, then later in the Taxi trunk, all your Camemberts would be long gone and melted away, same with chocolate !!!

The best cheeses to bring into Thailand is Padano Hard Cheese, Parmiggiano hard cheese, vacuum packed they easily pass a short period of warming until you arrive at a place where you can refrigerate them.

Other cheese that is perfect for brining to Thailand is the canned goats or sheep cheese in salty brine, you can buy in the turkish stores.

Yes of course you need to know an Italian restaurant owner on the Thailand side, who will buy them from you.

I don't know of anyone ever having been checked by Thai customs . . . . . it's allowed to import private goods up to 10,000 THB worth. A bag full of Padano cheese (if ever asked, just you say you love to eat this one with spaghetti ! aroi aroi !!) will pass, no problem.

Edited by crazygreg44

Bringing cheese into Thailand, a sure bet, but you must be aware when they start to unload luggage from the airplane to the boxcars, it is already inside a 38 degree environment, and the longer it stays there, then later in the Taxi trunk, all your Camemberts would be long gone and melted away, same with chocolate !!!

Ever heard about Styrofoam boxes and cooling pads ?

How much are you willing to spend on it, enough to refrigerate a 14 hours journey ? And how about the transportation rules for liquids aboard an airplane ? Cooling pads . . .your luggage will surely get some cross eyed inspection . . . .

it would be worth a try, but definitely not with a Camembert. Have you ever seen or eaten one ?

Edited by crazygreg44

Ruby and jade are cheap in Thailand and Burma and very expensive in Europe and the US. It is not easy to get REAL no cooked semi precious stones. Better to ask a local buyer or jeweler for referrals. Real silk and cashmere too. Bring me cheese for the tip. Thank you.

Ruby and jade are cheap in Thailand and Burma and very expensive in Europe and the US. It is not easy to get REAL no cooked semi precious stones. Better to ask a local buyer or jeweler for referrals. Real silk and cashmere too. Bring me cheese for the tip. Thank you.

That said, you need to be an expert in order to differentiate between real and fake stones, between real or synthetic gemstones.

My bet the threadstarter is an expert on diamonds, rubies semi precious gemstones and can give un-jaded expertises

The touts around the Grand Palace will happily show them a trusted place where they can buy cheesy.gif

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

How much are you willing to spend on it, enough to refrigerate a 14 hours journey ? And how about the transportation rules for liquids aboard an airplane ? Cooling pads . . .your luggage will surely get some cross eyed inspection . . . .

it would be worth a try, but definitely not with a Camembert. Have you ever seen or eaten one ?

A Styrofoam box the size of a suitcase is about 250 Baht at Makro, cooling pads in your checked luggage are never subject to cross eyed inspection as you are allowed to carry liquids in checked luggage.

I bring Camembert and chocolate over each and every time I go Europe without any even slightly deformed from the heat, and the Camembert are delicious, even after been in the freezer for 6 months.

• Like 1

So he forgot the smiley, well I guess that could happen sometimes annoyed.gif

Friend of my wife is from thailand, may she now someone who needs fresh goods from there. But I would have less stomachache if it would be none refrigerator products. I have contacts to china and vietnam, but sadly none to thailand.

I bring in fresh meat, vacuum packed. No problem. For friends, lots of tinned stuff - fish, pates and of course tins of foie gras. As for the return trip, many spices are just as cheap in the Asian supermarkets in big towns. Besides Asians have their own supply route. I don't think much of that idea. I know someone who has a jewellery shop in my town. He goes regularly to Thailand for precious stones. But he has reliable contacts. As some posters have already said, it can be dodgy. I take food home, like vegemite, mustard, rice vinegar etc because I live in a small town and can't get these things. Certainly I couldn't sell Veg, horseradish etc to my French neighbours. What about GOLD. In 14 years I have only been checked by Customs once. The only question (on hearing that I had come from Bangkok) - Have you got any gold? I met an American who makes most of his income on buying and selling gold.

I carefully chilled and packed 2 x 500g Camembert and had them back in Chiang Mai in less than 18 hours. But they'd both gone off! sad.png

Much more success with cheese which the shop owner in Oz vacuum packed for me. I only opened one pack at a time and of course they were in the fridge and lasted about 5 months.

Don't know any restaurant owner, so i guess I shouldn't try it with fresh lemongras. You can also buy it in any asia shop, can't see why it should be so expensive for thais to get it in germany.

Just compare the price a thai in Germany has to pay in the 'asia-shops' to the price at the local thai markets, then you would see the price in Germany is by 3 - 4 times that much ! That's just why I recommended packing your luggage with as much lemongrass as fits in, because you can surely get the double price for it when selling to an interested person.

However you really need to speak to a thai restaurant owner first, in order to get more info. Try to find one who might be interested. Also talking about other than lemongrass, spices perhaps !?

The best cheeses to bring into Thailand is Padano Hard Cheese, Parmiggiano hard cheese, vacuum packed they easily pass a short period of warming until you arrive at a place where you can refrigerate them.

Other cheese that is perfect for brining to Thailand is the canned goats or sheep cheese in salty brine, you can buy in the turkish stores.

Yes of course you need to know an Italian restaurant owner on the Thailand side, who will buy them from you.

I don't know of anyone ever having been checked by Thai customs . . . . . it's allowed to import private goods up to 10,000 THB worth. A bag full of Padano cheese (if ever asked, just you say you love to eat this one with spaghetti ! aroi aroi !!) will pass, no problem.

Great! How wonderful! Let's just give some German traveler advice on how he can make chump change yet still have to navigate the customs restrictions regarding the importation of live plant material/seeds. I'm sure he will be very popular- because as we all know- every country in the world would just love the possibility that their agro/eco system could be disrupted by a guy that wants to make some chump change, Oh! And let's give that advice- (on essentially breaking the law)- on a public forum. We should also add statements like, "I don't know anyone ever having been checked by Thai customs", as if that makes it somehow less illegal. After having received such splendid advice- I am secure in the knowledge I have now been adequately prepared for global travel, and I am confidant that the next time I land, I am going to pass through immigration- and when I get stopped by customs and they find the live rat that has stowed away in my bag- I will be sure to follow your advice, hold that rat up high in the air, and say, "Aroi aroi!" Allowing the rat and I to go prancing gracefully on our merry way!

• Like 1

Great! How wonderful! Let's just give some German traveler advice on how he can make chump change yet still have to navigate the customs restrictions regarding the importation of live plant material/seeds. I'm sure he will be very popular- because as we all know- every country in the world would just love the possibility that their agro/eco system could be disrupted by a guy that wants to make some chump change, Oh! And let's give that advice- (on essentially breaking the law)- on a public forum. We should also add statements like, "I don't know anyone ever having been checked by Thai customs", as if that makes it somehow less illegal. After having received such splendid advice- I am secure in the knowledge I have now been adequately prepared for global travel, and I am confidant that the next time I land, I am going to pass through immigration- and when I get stopped by customs and they find the live rat that has stowed away in my bag- I will be sure to follow your advice, hold that rat up high in the air, and say, "Aroi aroi!" Allowing the rat and I to go prancing gracefully on our merry way!

I noticed that we have a member by the name of Rolandrat. He must have entered the kingdom on the way you describe. blink.png

I noticed that we have a member by the name of Rolandrat. He must have entered the kingdom on the way you describe. blink.png

Actually, the correct pronunciation of his name, (in his native language) is- Rolling Rat.Last reports indicate that he is indeed still rolling merrily on his way.