Koh Tao: Thai court charges pair over murders of British backpackers

webfact

Surely it cant be to hard for a lawyer to prove these to guys are innocent. 1st theres photos of them being DNA tested the following day and cleared. One was wearing the same tshirt he was seen in on the video the night of the murders, he also had it on 3 weeks later when arrested. Surely it would have been blood splattered and even the most stupid person would have got rid of it. Why did the police anounce we had one in custody and the other has fled to Bangkok with evidence to link them to the murder and then after a visit from the brother of the one in custody and father of the one in BKK, the whole story suddenly changed. I havent spoken to one person who believes this story Thai or farang. Shouldnt the lawyer pull in the cop as a witness and ask how the story changed so quickly, what about the classmates of the one in Bangkok get them into to court to say he was definetly there. Also if the mobile phone data hasnt been deleted already it would prove where he was, be it BKK or Koh Tao. I hope the UK does something about this and hasnt just sent the cops over to keep everyone quite. It would be horrible to see to young men executed just to cover for a couple of spineless cowards.

To answer your doubts, the B2 are on trial, not anyone else. The RTP will say there was a backlog of DNA testing, and the suspects results came back at a later date, so they weren't cleared. (see page 450 of our 900 page report) They will say, it's not the same t-shirt. (see page 600 of our 900 page report) They will say other suspects were eliminated (see page 750 of our 900 page report).

All in all, it would be difficult to challenge such assertions without any evidence to the contrary. That's why the dice are loaded in the prosecution's favour.

Have you seen the report..

No I haven't seen the 900 page report. I am suggesting that the RTP would have covered all their bases, and I quoted example answers to the suggested questions above. I am coming from the viewpoint that it's going to be damn hard work for the defence to get the B2 found not-guilty.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The prosecutor in my case did the same. The prosecutor must send the case to the judge before giving a copy to the defendant. The prosecutor can keep everything until the very last minute. He must present to the judge 9 days before trial. My husband was mentally handicap from head injury. The prosecutor started the trial before we even entered the court room. Them had me immediately removed . 5 minutes later they came out with a signed guilty statement. My thai husband did not even know what had happened. I threatened to go to onbudsman and sue, since my husband is handicapped. They reopened the case and started from scratch.
The b2 lawyer can threaten the prosector with a complaint to the ombudsman also. Starting with holding a court hearing behind him and the b2 back.there are laws for the prosecutor to follow. But if the lawyer does not call them, then prosecutor will have field day.
The office of the ombudsman is a credit to thailand and very helpful.they are fair and impartial to all parties and very knowledgeable about this type of case.

Just something to consider about the Ombudsman Office. Former Deputy Permanent Secretary for Defense Gen Wittawat Ratchatanan was appointed as the new ombudsman on Sept. 26, 2014. Notice the rank "General?"

• Like 1

MURDER OF TWO BRITISH BACKPACKERS

Myanmar suspects indicted over murder of Britons on Koh Tao

KESINEE TAENGKHIO,

SUWANNEE BUNDISAK

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE KOH Samui prosecutor yesterday indicted two Myanmar men over the murder of two British backpackers on Surat Thani's Koh Tao on September 15, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said yesterday.

OAG spokesman Wanchai Rujanawong said Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, who were illegal migrant workers on the island at the time the murders, have been charged with murder, attempts to cover up a crime, gang rape and illegally entering the country.

Win Zaw Htun faces the additional charge of theft.

Wanchai told a press conference in Bangkok yesterday that the charges put forward by the public prosecutors were different from what police investigators had determined on two points.

The OAG spokesman said the prosecutors believed the 24-year-old female victim did not die from rape, but in the attempt to cover up the crime. As a result, the prosecutors didn't file the charge of rape causing death.

He said the other discrepancy centred on evidence pointing to only Win Zaw Htun stealing the victim's cellphone - meaning Zaw Lin would not face theft charge.

Earlier in Surat Thani province, public prosecutor Paiboon Achawananthakul - accompanied by police investigator Lt-Colonel Pana Senathip - submitted a 900-page case file indicting the Myanmar duo at the Koh Samui Provincial Court yesterday.

The suspects' lawyers are expected to submit an objection soon.

Paiboon said the men would appear in court on Monday morning to hear the charges and make their pleas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-suspects-indicted-over-murder-of-Britons-o-30249190.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-12-05

Hannah Witheridge, the British forensics and Scotland yard are now the key to all this. In my opinion forensics in the UK will have found DNA on Hannah and have their own results of this. They will also know if the body will have been purposely ''Cleaned in an attempt to hide evidence'' either way this will be the case. Secondly obtaining DNA from the 2 boys is not a big undertaking. I am sure Scotland yard will have obtained it somehow either directly or indirectly if the Thai authorities refused to offer it too them. This has to be the starting point as far as the 2 boys are concerned, can Scotland yard or will Scotland yard release a statement saying they can prove that these two boys DNA is a match or not? If not then the Thai authorities have a serious chose to make. Do they undermine the evidence given to them by one of the most respected forensics people on earth or will they think of the consequences of disregarding what Scotland yards Forensics find. I am sure that now these boys have been officially charged the British will now make their move.

Surely it cant be to hard for a lawyer to prove these to guys are innocent. 1st theres photos of them being DNA tested the following day and cleared. One was wearing the same tshirt he was seen in on the video the night of the murders, he also had it on 3 weeks later when arrested. Surely it would have been blood splattered and even the most stupid person would have got rid of it. Why did the police anounce we had one in custody and the other has fled to Bangkok with evidence to link them to the murder and then after a visit from the brother of the one in custody and father of the one in BKK, the whole story suddenly changed. I havent spoken to one person who believes this story Thai or farang. Shouldnt the lawyer pull in the cop as a witness and ask how the story changed so quickly, what about the classmates of the one in Bangkok get them into to court to say he was definetly there. Also if the mobile phone data hasnt been deleted already it would prove where he was, be it BKK or Koh Tao. I hope the UK does something about this and hasnt just sent the cops over to keep everyone quite. It would be horrible to see to young men executed just to cover for a couple of spineless cowards.

To answer your doubts, the B2 are on trial, not anyone else. The RTP will say there was a backlog of DNA testing, and the suspects results came back at a later date, so they weren't cleared. (see page 450 of our 900 page report) They will say, it's not the same t-shirt. (see page 600 of our 900 page report) They will say other suspects were eliminated (see page 750 of our 900 page report).

All in all, it would be difficult to challenge such assertions without any evidence to the contrary. That's why the dice are loaded in the prosecution's favour.

Have you seen the report..

No I haven't seen the 900 page report. I am suggesting that the RTP would have covered all their bases, and I quoted example answers to the suggested questions above. I am coming from the viewpoint that it's going to be damn hard work for the defence to get the B2 found not-guilty.

Yes the B2 are on trial but if the defence can show that the original main suspect was in Koh Tao on the night in question and left in the early hours to return to Bangkok then this could be the reasonable doubt required. This could be done by proving he flew down from BKK and mobile phone records, also classmates testifying that he wasnt in class as he is saying.

By moving the court hearing forward by 3 hours the Thai "juridical" system excluded:

The suspects!! (the prison is a 5 minute drive from the courthouse)

Their lawyers, who was not informed

The Myanmar Embassy staff

The HRW representatives

The media

Anyone still believe, that everything is done by the book and above the table??

No this case stinks and the stank is getting worse by the minute!!

• Like 2

We Thaivisa posters are not they only ones worried about the handling of this case!!

A legal coordinator hired by the Myanmar Embassy, Min Oq, today expressed his concern about the handling of the case and the suspects welfare.

He added that Thai officials had failed to inform embassy staff about events in advance, causing trouble in following up when and what steps were to be taken.

So now it out in the open!! Not even the official Myanmar trust the RTP!!

Or they will say, as reported in the press. 36 out of 80 tests were completed.

They will point out that employees have more than one work shirt.

There's no need to explain why people were eliminated from the investigation earlier but I expect that the prosecution will do so.

It is worth noting that the people who are on trial were in the initial group of suspects.

Or they will say, as reported in the press. 36 out of 80 tests were completed.

They will point out that employees have more than one work shirt.

There's no need to explain why people were eliminated from the investigation earlier but I expect that the prosecution will do so.

It is worth noting that the people who are on trial were in the initial group of suspects.

It is also worth noting that the initial group of suspects were DNA tested and no matches were found.

This was a different and previous round of testing than the "36 out of 80" you referred to.

Edited by Bleacher Bum East
  • Like 1

So they are being charged with entering the country illegally.

Guess their employers will be charged with employing illegals too.

Do I detect a touch of irony here? If not you must be living in 'Never-Never-Land'
I was going for sarcasm:thumbsup:

Wasn't it you who, unjustified by the way,told me in another thread relating this subject

Your posts all day have consisted of these nonsical replies. If you are going to join the debate please try to make a decent comment without trying to mock posters or give silly retorts.

So you consider different rules for you as for other members. Now go read a book, that is easier to achieve with only 1 hand available.

Please quote me the thread and my post#, because those are not my words you chose to highlight in blue. In the event of me ever using such words I would have said "nonsensical (not nonsical) replies" as I re-read and edit/correct my posts if necessary. I'm sorry If you feel offended by what someone else has posted, but I ask why join a forum if you take posts to heart and appear offended so easily. Why not 'lighten-up' a bit and enjoy life.

KESINEE TAENGKHIO,

SUWANNEE BUNDISAK

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE KOH Samui prosecutor yesterday indicted two Myanmar men over the murder of two British backpackers on Surat Thani's Koh Tao on September 15, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) said yesterday.

OAG spokesman Wanchai Rujanawong said Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, who were illegal migrant workers on the island at the time the murders, have been charged with murder, attempts to cover up a crime, gang rape and illegally entering the country.

Wanchai told a press conference in Bangkok yesterday that the charges put forward by the public prosecutors were different from what police investigators had determined on two points.

The OAG spokesman said the prosecutors believed the 24-year-old female victim did not die from rape, but in the attempt to cover up the crime. As a result, the prosecutors didn't file the charge of rape causing death.

He said the other discrepancy centred on evidence pointing to only Win Zaw Htun stealing the victim's cellphone - meaning Zaw Lin would not face theft charge.

Earlier in Surat Thani province, public prosecutor Paiboon Achawananthakul - accompanied by police investigator Lt-Colonel Pana Senathip - submitted a 900-page case file indicting the Myanmar duo at the Koh Samui Provincial Court yesterday.

Paiboon said the men would appear in court on Monday morning to hear the charges and make their pleas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Myanmar-suspects-indicted-over-murder-of-Britons-o-30249190.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-12-05

Hannah Witheridge, the British forensics and Scotland yard are now the key to all this. In my opinion forensics in the UK will have found DNA on Hannah and have their own results of this. They will also know if the body will have been purposely ''Cleaned in an attempt to hide evidence'' either way this will be the case. Secondly obtaining DNA from the 2 boys is not a big undertaking. I am sure Scotland yard will have obtained it somehow either directly or indirectly if the Thai authorities refused to offer it too them. This has to be the starting point as far as the 2 boys are concerned, can Scotland yard or will Scotland yard release a statement saying they can prove that these two boys DNA is a match or not? If not then the Thai authorities have a serious chose to make. Do they undermine the evidence given to them by one of the most respected forensics people on earth or will they think of the consequences of disregarding what Scotland yards Forensics find. I am sure that now these boys have been officially charged the British will now make their move.

The victims were autopsied in Thailand. Assuming that the corpses were returned to the UK via commercial flight they were embalmed here too. Depending on how involved the autopsies were the corpses would have to have been cleaned as well.

Regarding New Scotland Yard's involvement in a case on Thai sovereign soil, you are assuming too much.

KESINEE TAENGKHIO,

SUWANNEE BUNDISAK

THE NATION

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-12-05

The victims were autopsied in Thailand. Assuming that the corpses were returned to the UK via commercial flight they were embalmed here too. Depending on how involved the autopsies were the corpses would have to have been cleaned as well.

Regarding New Scotland Yard's involvement in a case on Thai sovereign soil, you are assuming too much.

With regard to Scotland Yard it is possible they have DNA from Hanna's body during the British autopsy and DNA from the B2 through the B2 defence team so that would not break any rules of what was done on Thai sovereign soil.

• Like 1

No. The defendants are legally men. Adults in any country when it comes to legal culpability.

No? Not the point that was being made - read it again:- "Compared to the photos Sean Mcanna took of the 2 men who allegedly threatened him then yes, the B2 do have a rather boyish appearance, It's all in the eyes of the beholder."

• Like 2

I'm not surprised to hear that they weren't present for the hearing ... after all this is a done deal; as far as the Thai police and judicial system is concerned they are already guilty.

I've witnessed some farces in my time but the Thais take the biscuit when it comes to incompetence, cover-ups and outright corruption. I for one am glad I left and that my money no long supports such a vile country.

I am following you to leave very soon

I've gone too

Talk about giving the middle finger to the World! The police are under immense scrutiny over this case and their farcical investigation and then they move the court indictment 3 hours forward so the accused nor their lawyers can attend. This shows what Thailand thinks of the World in general, they truly do not give a sh*t, which doesn't bode well for the the B2

Please quote me the thread and my post#, because those are not my words you chose to highlight in blue. In the event of me ever using such words I would have said "nonsensical (not nonsical) replies" as I re-read and edit/correct my posts if necessary. I'm sorry If you feel offended by what someone else has posted, but I ask why join a forum if you take posts to heart and appear offended so easily. Why not 'lighten-up' a bit and enjoy life.

You still don't get it that if someone replies to a post with nested quotes, the reply is directed at the last poster in that post ?

And then you say that I should take my medicine facepalm.gif

11 pages of speculation and bickering.

The truth is we dont know anything and the only people who MAY be able

to help the scapegoats is the UK police team and their report.

Until and if that happens we are all p1ssing into the wind.

• Like 1

Stitch up job and the corruption on this goes all the way to the top. Sickening.

Goes all the way up to Mr. Militaryman

You don't know this, infact nobody knows anything , its just speculations and gossip coming from the social media.

Yes they might be scapegoats , but again , they might not be !

So ridiculous to read all the comments in here and you all think you know it all . The truth is you don't know a shit.

Yes , so it goes all the way to the top , to the P.M himself, is that what you want to believe?

Edited by balo

Stitch up job and the corruption on this goes all the way to the top. Sickening.

You don't know this, infact nobody knows anything , its just speculations and gossip coming from the social media.

So ridiculous to read all the comments in here and you all think you know it all . The truth is you don't know a shit.

Yes , so it goes all the way to the top , to the P.M himself, is that what you want to believe?

"You don't know this, infact nobody knows anything , its just speculations and gossip coming from the social media" Dumbest statement of the day, if not about the whole affair

• Like 1

Ive seen the photographs, ive read the quotes from RTP representitives. Ive noted the inconsistensies. As a educated inteligent adult ive drawn conclusions. Are you suggesting I ignore the facts printed in the press (photos and quotes) and put my faith in the RTP despite them having proved themselves utterly corrupt time and time again.?

I think my suspicions are justified and ill trust my own instint and powers of deduction over the writhing nest of rats AKA RTP.

Edited by simonuk

KESINEE TAENGKHIO,

SUWANNEE BUNDISAK

THE NATION

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-12-05

It may be assumed that the bodies would not be autopsied, cleaned and embalmed very carefully or thoroughly. If every other protocol and method and system has been compromised, logic dictates that the Thai coroners work will be half baked as well. On this basis, one can safely assume that the British forensic people would have had a field day.

• Like 2

Ive seen the photographs, ive read the quotes from RTP representitives. Ive noted the inconsistensies. As a educated inteligent adult ive drawn conclusions. Are you suggesting I ignore the facts printed in the press (photos and quotes) and put my faith in the RTP despite them having proved themselves utterly corrupt time and time again.?

I think my suspicions are justified and ill trust my own instint and powers of deduction over the writhing nest of rats AKA RTP.

I see you edited your post. Do you not have spellcheck? Ive, ive, representitives, inconsistensies, inteligent, ill, instint? Well, I suppose you did spell "educated" correctly!

I see you edited your post. Do you not have spellcheck? Ive, ive, representitives, inconsistensies, inteligent, ill, instint? Well, I suppose you did spell "educated" correctly!

It was typed on a tablet hence the 4 edits just to get it posted . it's good that you focus on the typos and not the content. Bravo sir , bravo.

Edited by simonuk
  • Like 1

On the facebook page it appears he has part of the prosecutors report.

From what I can gauge the thai's are not impressed calling it a novel.

Google not translating it for me.

Well PM Prayuth did say he was willing to write a lakorn.

Apologies for the levity. I really am disgusted by this whole thing.