Traffic jam, accident.

It's clear now, but seemed to be a lot of idiots on the road today, both Farang and Thai...between Maenam and Tesco and back facepalm.gif

Yes, a pretty nasty accident ... no helmet on young lady certainly a lot of blood on her, they must have moved the second victim ... three or four Samui rescue trucks with ambulance on the way as I was headed toward Bophut..

It's pretty hectic around Maenam traffic lights with the Walking Street set up...

I had so many near misses driving from Nathon to Bophut today,overtaking seemed the norm , forcing me to brake hard as I had bikes on my left & nearly took them out.

• Like 1

My own observations on roads at the moment are as follows:

1. In a normal week I expect to encounter 1x accident per week. In the past fortnight this has risen to 1-3 per day.

2. From 23 Dec until 10 Jan we can expect to see 1 accident per urban km or 1 per 5 kms elsewhere*.

3. Maenam lights continue to show green in all directions at the same time. 3x tourists on motorbikes cut across my front from a standing start yesterday as a result.

4. I saw half a dozen tourists with lower limb injuries @ Govt hospital yesterday. I also saw a young couple (Israeli at a guess) with the full 'wyle-e-coyote' although thankfully this didn't inc head injuries.

Suggestion for anyone considering riding a 'chicken chaser' for the very first time....

wile_e_coyote_acme_this_might_hurt_stick

*On the triangle around Thai Inter Hospital it was 1 per hundred meters last year! I didn't dare venture as far as the roundabout! smile.png

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Yes, coming into high season, and with all the Christmas and New Year partying, the roads will be even more dangerous than normal.

My own observations on roads at the moment are as follows:

1. In a normal week I expect to encounter 1x accident per week. In the past fortnight this has risen to 1-3 per day.

2. From 23 Dec until 10 Jan we can expect to see 1 accident per urban km or 1 per 5 kms elsewhere. (On the triangle around Thai Inter Hospital it was 1 per hundred meters last year! I didn't dare venture as far as the roundabout!)

3. Maenam lights continue to show green in all directions at the same time. 3x tourists on motorbikes cut across my front from a standing start yesterday as a result.

4. I saw half a dozen tourists with lower limb injuries @ Govt hospital yesterday. I also saw a young couple (Israeli at a guess) with the full wyle-e-coyote. Thankfully it didn't inc head injuries.

Suggestion for rental outlets....

wile_e_coyote_acme_this_might_hurt_stick

Just my 2p smile.png

One of our 'official' Samui traffic talk fest party has mentioned that many do not know the reason for the white line which indicates the motorcy lane. But what he obviously does not noticed is the fact that most of these lines are no longer visible due to wear and time. If the 'talk fest' people have any influence whatsoever, why don't they get these lines repainted so that they can actually be seen !

One of our 'official' Samui traffic talk fest party has mentioned that many do not know the reason for the white line which indicates the motorcy lane. But what he obviously does not noticed is the fact that most of these lines are no longer visible due to wear and time. If the 'talk fest' people have any influence whatsoever, why don't they get these lines repainted so that they can actually be seen !

The way they do their road markings here. i.e. painting them, is not really a good idea. They will fade or wear out again in no time.

What they need is either asphalting, or as they now do in the U.K., use some sort of plastic tape that they lay out and them melt onto the road surface. Lasts much longer.

But I can't see that happening anytime soon.

The way they do their road markings here. i.e. painting them, is not really a good idea. They will fade or wear out again in no time.

What they need is either asphalting, or as they now do in the U.K., use some sort of plastic tape that they lay out and them melt onto the road surface. Lasts much longer.

Still does not matter when they use the bike lane as parking.

• Like 1

Still does not matter when they use the bike lane as parking.

Noticed today in Chaweng, they are slowly working their way along the beach road laying out markings designating individual motorbike parking spaces.

I had an awful experience with this accident yesterday. I was surprised by the traffic that quickly formed so I took my phone out and made little video clips to show my wife (she has been arguing against my getting a bike. I wanted to demonstrate to her that the traffic problems will require me to have a bike if I wish to get anything done). In some few second clips I am debating "accident, work zone, accident, work zone."

As I approached the two cement trucks I noticed the furthest truck from me (closest to the crash) raising and securing the drop down ladder on the rear right of the truck. This should never be down. I can hear myself considering on the video whether this was accident or utility work. I assumed utility work because of the cement trucks. Who hits a cement truck? That is like a Greek Tragedy. Well, with the camera rolling I was startled and shocked to see these two bodies as I rolled past. It was pretty damn awful. They were behind the cement truck. I was appalled and sickened. It was so sad. I had the immediate realization that the ladder might have caused it as the bike tried to pass. Regardless, this was a very horrible event. The woman's ashen face will be in my head for a long time. (I still want a bike but I have now seen in one week more accidents in Samui then years in BKK).

Its on the way, mostly completed on the south ring road into Naton, they are doing the drains at Maenam right now .

Its on the way, mostly completed on the south ring road into Naton, they are doing the drains at Maenam right now .

Doing some thinking since yesterday and I am glad you guys filled me in on work on the roads. While bike riders on the sides are a real challenge night time exit-turns from the center of the road seems quite dangerous; in a car, looking ahead, it is actually hard to see very well when a rider in front of you is in the center, turning, when oncoming headlights and street lights and advertisements are blinding. I am fairly young with good vision still. Perhaps just constant caution is the only answer here. I do think it is true that more can be done to define the lanes on roads. Only in Samui a short while and I am seriously impressed how dangerous the roads can be here.

be very careful, e v e r y t h i n g thinkable and unthinkable is possible

Absolutely right on!!

I've been driving Bikes and trucks here for over 10 years and am constantly amazed at the many different ways

of being involved in an accident.

The next few weeks will get worse as we get an influx of Farangs who have no clue as to how dangerous driving on this island is.

Throw the Koreans and Chinese who are invincible into the melting pot, plus the standard issue Thai driving capability and it is no wonder that this island is so bloody dangerous.

Evidence to support your theory here - a pair of Koreans attempting to slide under a tanker on Saturday . . .

www.facebook.com/groups/599017576877886/

R

• Like 1

It really is quite amazing. I spent a few years in Baghdad where people were trying to kill everyone. There is an infamous road from the Airport to the Green Zone called Route Irish. I have seen more accidents here then I did along that road. To illustrate this further, tonight I was ordering take out when I heard a loud crash. Jeeez, just in front of me, about 20 meters away, a bike was wasted in the dark and a man lying on the ground- car meets vehicle. I raced over and while people had already gathered no one was helping at all (this is not an indictment; people are scared and confused also). Emergency medicine is my background, and i did not really do anything other than console the man and monitor vitals, but his body was pretty mangled and at a few horrific angles. I think he will live unless internal bleeding. This point, for me, reinforces my fiance's protest over me getting a bike here. I am now seriously having second thoughts about scootering It really doesn't matter how competent I am, after a point; if the others around me are dangerous then driving is dangerous here.

Would street lights help? I know this expensive thinking but I am only curious.

Noticed today in Chaweng, they are slowly working their way along the beach road laying out markings designating individual motorbike parking spaces.

Noticed last night in Chaweng that the line markings are mostly being ignored, with motorbikes parked in designated car spot and vice versa, and taxis parked anywhere they like.

The same markings, as well as fresh colour-coded gutters, are being done in Lamai as well - these are also being mostly ignored.

Once this country gets a properly functioning police force — and municipal councils — that enforce laws and regulations, the dying will significantly decrease. Excessive speed, drink driving/riding, improper overtaking, failing to give way, failing to indicate, travelling on the wrong side of the road, unroadworthy vehicles (notice many bikes lately with blown head/rear lights at night), failing to wear a helmet, talking on the mobile while driving/riding, unlicensed driving/riding - the list of dumb ways to die is endless here, but is filled with things an effectual police force would have all but eradicated.

• Like 1