Chiang Mai and Koh Lipe - top Thai travelers' dream places

webfact

Chiang Mai & Koh Lipe - top Thai travelers' dream places

BANGKOK, 5 Dec 2014 (NNT) – A recent survey by a well-known online hotel and transportation booker has shown that Chiang Mai and Koh Lipe were among top destinations for Thai people.

According to the survey by Skyscanner, Koh Lipe was voted the most impressive natural attraction, and Chiang Mai was chosen as the most impressive province. The northern province’s walking street was also voted the most fun-filled place. Sukhothai Historical Park and the Buddhist Lent candle parade in Ubon Ratchathani, meanwhile, were selected as the most awe-inspiring historical and cultural attractions respectively.

The survey was part of the Charming Land of Smile project, the objective of which was to promote tourism in Thailand by showing internet users and foreign tourists worldwide the most favorite places for Thai people. The vote’s results will be displayed on Skyscanner’s website.

Skyscanner’s executive revealed the website’s statistics showed that Thailand was still one of the most popular destinations among foreigners every year, thanks to Thai people’s friendliness, unique culture, numerous shopping malls, and tasty food.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-12-05 footer_n.gif

The northern province’s walking street was also voted the most fun-filled place."

God forbid you are disabled and need a wheelchair. Then the fun disappears in a yaba heartbeat. Don't even get me started on the clearly marked bicycle lanes.sad.png

post-91462-0-76348800-1417763464_thumb.j"

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

"Skyscanner’s executive revealed the website’s statistics showed that Thailand was still one of the most popular destinations among foreigners every year, thanks to ... numerous shopping malls," blink.png

Come all the way to Thailand, just to eat a Big-Mac or KFC or faux-sushi, buy clothes & biscuits at M&S, or get the same old same old electronic products, like they can get back home ? wink.png

Now if he'd said, "shop for world-renowned counterfeits", then I might have agreed ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Spent almost 3 weeks on Koh Lipe (28 Oct-16 Nov) this year and for an island that is basically open for 6 months starting on 1 November, the place was more like a ghost town and would have been close to completely empty if it were not for the Malaysian tourists that come over on a one-hour ferry from Langkawi. Prices will run about 2-3 times higher than Bangkok for food and drink. Sunrise and Pattaya beach are very nice with clean, clear water and about 300 longtail boats. Not bad if you want to go for the weekend and do some snorkeling at islands around Lipe, but be prepared to pay.

Edited by upena

Sitting in doors with aircon cleaning the air so I can breathe ..Just such a big problem that the rice field behind my holiday retreat has just been set ablaze and no one gives a dam .. and the scenic old men who love to burn a few leaves by the side of the road for fun ( compost? ) .. When will the Thais understand Plastic is not a good fuel for a fire ..

and all this before the main forest burning season .. not that I want to put tourists off of course .......but ...

• Like 1

I really want to Koh Lipe. Looks amazing.

Its quickly turning into a horrid island, develpment is growing unchecked, it's only saving grace is it's distance from the mainland.

Already destroyed I'm afraid. I remember when the south bay was a deserted beach with a dirt path in to the sea gypsy settlements near the channel. That dirt path is now "walking street" and I don't think there's an empty space not filled with neon bars all along the bay now. What a disgrace for a national park. Thankfully the rest of the Butangs remain undeveloped for now.

• Like 1

Its quickly turning into a horrid island, develpment is growing unchecked, it's only saving grace is it's distance from the mainland.

Already destroyed I'm afraid. I remember when the south bay was a deserted beach with a dirt path in to the sea gypsy settlements near the channel. That dirt path is now "walking street" and I don't think there's an empty space not filled with neon bars all along the bay now. What a disgrace for a national park. Thankfully the rest of the Butangs remain undeveloped for now.

Can you stay on the other islands around there then? I'd still like to go down there. Never been that far south.

Can you stay on the other islands around there then? I'd still like to go down there. Never been that far south.

Went there the week before "high season" this year. Dead reef, Trashy island, lousy food, getting absurdly overbuilt with ultra-cheap places for all the Chinese tourists to sleep. Plus, you have to fly into Hat Yai, then take a typically dangerous van ride about 2 hours, then you can get on an overcrowded, often badly-listing ferry for another 2 hours to get to the dead reef trashy island. Clean water, though, but I didn't think about where all the sewage was going.

I think it might be possible to tent camp behind one of the many tiny beaches but you would need to be completely self sufficient, and make arrangements with a longtail on Lipe for transport. All the other islands are steep and heavily forested. Diving or snorkeling off the outer islands can be good.

the complete and total lack of zoning and planning leads to the ruin of every remote, beautiful, natural destination in Thailand. It's a shame, really. A shame.

• Like 2

Pretty sure this is the key sentence in this article and has nothing to do with the opinions of expats living here. Witch apparently didnt sink in with most TVF responders

The survey was part of the Charming Land of Smile project, the objective of which was to promote tourism in Thailand by showing internet users and foreign tourists worldwide the most favorite places for Thai people.

Edited by dcutman

Not much better.

Chiang Mai city is full of foreign degenerates. They swarm to this place like flies on shit.

Unlike Pattaya, for example?

I'd have to disagree. I lived in Chiang Mai for a few years and really enjoyed it although I didn't hit the Farang bars so that probably helped, I met decent Farang and Thais and found them all for more friendly and helpful than the Pattaya people who seem to be there for one reason only. I went to Chiang Mai football every home game and some away games. People are far more likely to help (not financially - although I don't know about that as it fortunately didn't apply - but meeting up for a meal and beer at the lake with and without families for example. Food is better and cheaper, taxis put their metres on, it's all quite civilised.

Koh Tao is my favorite destination, followed by Phuket.

Aye, lovely place. Just don't take your gf/wife, unless you want her dead! Unless she's not beautiful of course, then you might be good. You do follow current events or is it just your personal reliance on 'Murder Island' that provoked your post?

Boycott Koh Tao!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed two years ago in a National Park bungalow, while the kids camped by the beach 100 yards away, on nearby Koh Adarn. Got there using the speedboat to Koh Lipe & then renting a long-tailed boat for the 20-minute transfer.

Cost 600B/night/per-bungalow & 100B/per-night to camp, IIRC. There was a simple-but-slightly-pricy restaurant and a basic-but-adequate washroom provided.

Definitely quiet & unspoilt.

One of the park-rangers was describing how they had recently demolished a part-built resort on Adarn, constructed totally against-the-law & without any permissions, respect to those guys for trying to do their jobs despite the threats. thumbsup.gif