Buying Canned Sardines in yellow mustard sauce

sunoco27

All I can find is the kind in tomato sauce - at least for the cheap Thai price. Some imported ones come in mustard or olive oil. I don't really like the taste of sardines, but sometimes eat them for health reasons. Therefore, I want to buy them for the lowest price possible.

Have not seen the wee fish in mustard sauce here. Plenty of tins packed with tomato, which i do not prefer. Give me the small fish in olive oil, that's always the best. I have been buying Grilled Saba in Kabayaki sauce at Tops for a nice low price and found these meaty fish chunks pretty good flavor. Some kind of Japanese preparation. What, 30 baht per tin?.

Why not buy the sardines in olive or veg oil, drain the oil and add mustard?

The same thing occurred to me but even after draining the oil there would still be a lot left. I sometimes mix canned tuna soaked in water with mustard, but I can't imagine doing it with canned tuna soaked in oil, even it I drain the oil.

I think there is a brand at Tops and Rimping that has them packed in mustard sauce..

It from Scandanavian country and usually ~150 baht for a tin.

Also its not super small size fish but technically I suppose its still a sardine.

They have claims on the package for the amount of Omega 3 fatty acids included.

Some of the comments crack me up..

Yeah could buy mustard separately 55555555

Awesome idea

UG; sometimes If I just want to get drunk I will buy a pint of whiskey, but absolutly never the cheapest I can find. Good for you sardines can come in many wrappings, but the old addage ''you get what you pay for'' might be considered.

Double layer in the sardine tin, from the north sea, caught and processed by Norsk fishermen are healthy and a real treat to the taste of those with a desire for quality. The Thai brands are dog food quality.

I have tried the expensive kind and the cheap kind, They taste equally bad to me- I just don't like sardines - but they have a lot more omega 3 oils and calcium than other fish. That is why I pay 20 baht, instead of 150. tongue.png

Also good for Vitamin D. Only a few foods have much of that.

I agree might as well buy the cheaper brands here ... the far away imported brands are so expensive and really not worth the better taste which is negligible.

I buy the Malaysian brand in olive oil, not the cheapest but OK.

Different kinds of fish qualify for the label as sardine which accounts for some of the differences.

• Like 2

I totally pimp up my sardine eating!

Here's how I do (for real):

On a large plate:

Sardines (drained oil)

Salad including:

sliced onion

chopped red bell pepper

black olives

chopped Thai red peppers and jalapenos if I have them

sliced celery

diced tomato or cherry tomato

some chickpeas!

Dips:

Yogurt

Spicy deli mustard

Also:

KIMCHI

Sliced hard boiled egg

Pour a little olive oil over the salad part.

Lightly salt the salad part and the egg part.

Freshly ground black pepper over all of it (except the kimchi)

GENEROUS squeeze of lime juice over the fish (A MUST) and also the salad part

Side: one slice dark bread with a smear of AVOCADO

The questionable taste of the sardines is totally transformed by this big mess.

Maybe too much prep for some, but that's the only way I eat sardines in Thailand!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

I was at Tops today at KSG and had a look at the sardines. I couldn't find a brand for over 100 baht. I picked up a can of Ayam Brand sardines packed in EV olive oil. I think they were 59 baht and the can is smaller than my palm.

I had a ex who use to eat canned fish products with chopped up chilly peppers. It really hides the fish taste if you don't mind the extreme spicy taste.

Edited by JulieM

I recently tried a brand of Chinese sardines done with salted black beans. It was quite cheap. I like Chinese black beans but the texture of fish itself had was kind of like between a fresh feeling and totally dried. Kind of like little fishies with rigor mortis. That was disturbing to me so that was a one off. You've been warned!

Speaking of fresh fish ... who's had fresh grilled sardines in Portugal? It's like a different fish ... so wonderful that way.

Edited by Jingthing

On a large plate:

Sardines (drained oil)

Salad including:

sliced onion

chopped red bell pepper

black olives

sliced celery

some chickpeas!

Dips:

Yogurt

Spicy deli mustard

Also:

KIMCHI

Sliced hard boiled egg

Maybe too much prep for some, but that's the only way I eat sardines in Thailand!

Incredible coincidence! I do exactly the same thing, only I leave out the sardines. Horrid little fishies! When I want Omega-3, I'll eat calamari.

• Like 2

I recently tried a brand of Chinese sardines done with salted black beans. It was quite cheap. I like Chinese black beans but the texture of fish itself had was kind of like between a fresh feeling and totally dried. Kind of like little fishies with rigor mortis. That was disturbing to me so that was a one off. You've been warned!

Speaking of fresh fish ... who's had fresh grilled sardines in Portugal? It's like a different fish ... so wonderful that way.

They could well be. There are 21 different species of fish that can be correctly called 'sardines.' Fish caught and sold in the UK as sardines may be a very different fish than is sold in Portugal or the US.

On a large plate:

Sardines (drained oil)

Salad including:

sliced onion

chopped red bell pepper

black olives

sliced celery

some chickpeas!

Dips:

Yogurt

Spicy deli mustard

Also:

KIMCHI

Sliced hard boiled egg

Sounds delicious but but with onions, kimchi, eggs and sardines I'd probably brush my teeth with COMET before I went out publicbiggrin.png !

• Like 2

Incredible coincidence! I do exactly the same thing, only I leave out the sardines. Horrid little fishies! When I want Omega-3, I'll eat calamari.

That's funny.biggrin.png

I have a number of original home multi-cultural creations and sometimes I wonder when I'm eating them -- is there anyone else in the world eating this same unlikely mixture right now? Or even ever?

On the sardine mess it occurred to me with all those textures and flavors that the sardine really could be almost anything and the dish would still be great. But for me it's customized for sardines.

Edited by Jingthing

That's the brand I mostly use. Also packed with Thai red peppers if you choose. They're just OK. I would prefer the much higher priced Portuguese sardines but as said before, I don't think the price is really worth it. For a while a Moroccan brand was sold which were similar to Portuguese and priced much less but stopped seeing it stocked. Half the cans were hard to open ... so I'm guessing too many complaints or something.

Edited by Jingthing

I am no expert on sardines, so I don't know if they are nice or not. Last night I tried the Ayam brand packed in EV olive oil (no green peppercorn) but I ate them with sliced chili peppers.

I enjoyed it but an expert on sardines might turn their nose up at them.

I found a Portuguese brand of sardines today at Rim Ping Maya. The brand name is Santamaria. They come in oil or hot sauce. No mustard, unfortunately. 82 baht.

just tried those. Nothing special.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have seen both the Ayam brand and rhe Brunswick brand with mustard sce. Just gotta do some searching now as my memory ain't what it used to be. I actually prefer the ones with chillies and abhor tomato sce ones....Although they are the most common. Will do the rounds of my normal supermarkets tomorrow.

Edited by CMKiwi

This thread has got my quite interested in sardines, especially since I've just been to the Doc for a heart and blood check-up, and indeed I need to improve my blood numbers and the omega 3's in sardines might help.

I can't find any brand more expensive than 82 baht. I'd love to try an expensive brand just to compare. So far no luck finding them.

Edited by JulieM

This thread has got my quite interested in sardines, especially since I've just been to the Doc for a heart and blood check-up, and indeed I need to improve my blood numbers and the omega 3's in sardines might help.

I can't find any brand more expensive than 82 baht. I'd love to try an expensive brand just to compare. So far no luck finding them.

Rimping and occasionally Makro have a black colored tin which are upper end sardines, caught and processed off of Norway. The price was in the 140 baht range.

This is double layered (8 +_) sardines in oil, small fish, compared to what is sold as local processed sardines which are maybe 3 or 4 fish. These things are what are sometime refered to as poggy/trash fish which were/are caught for processing into oil, dog/cat food, fertilizer, etc.

• Like 1