Two killed in collision with cement truck in Maenam Koh Samui

Lite Beer

Two killed in collision with cement truck in Maenam Koh Samui

cement-truck-accident-300x220.jpg

KOH Samui: One man and one woman were killed yesterday in a collision with a cement truck not far from the post office in Maenam Koh Samui. It is cement truck accidentbelieved that the six wheel cement truck was travelling at speed.

The incident took place around 1-30pm. It is believe the lady was Thai, the man was Caucasian. Both victims were wearing helmets.

According to Roads of Koh Samui, the islands Facebook page from a group who intend to campaign to improve safety on the roads of Koh Samui, the government hospital in Nathon has reported a higher than usual number of tourists seeking help for lower body skin injuries in the last three days, it seems the high season for road accidents this year has once again come early.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-12-05

• Like 2

At the intersection at the south end of Chaweng there is a small incline just after the intersection going towards Lamai. Most if not all cement trucks there going towards the incline and Lamai simply put the pedal to the metal and use their horn to warn anyone, and scaring everyone, then go full speed across the intersection, which often causes quite dangerous situations for everyone else in the intersection, which is usually quite crowded and full of sand.

was only a matter of time ... the speed that these Cement trucks travel at around the island has been noticed/reported for a very long time ...

And noticed by every single person having ever drived on Samui's roads, its pure madness.

1) cement trucks

2) mini vans

3) Safari pickup trucks

and water trucks.

Dear mr lite Beer. Instead of only copying the text of the Samui Times. I would have appreciated if you also had taken my comment about what really happend.

After reading all the comments from people who didn't see the accident and only hear the gossip, I've to comment about this because I was a witness. 1. the truck driver didn't go fast, because I was driving behind the truck, maybe at 60 km. max. If I had droven harder I couldn't have stop in time without also hit the victims. 2. The farang wanted to pass the truck on the left and very close to the walkway. I saw that there was a little hole in the road close to the walkway. I suppose because of this the farang lost control of the motorbike and they fell to the right under the truck before the rear tires.

I'm very sorry for the victims, may they rest in peace. But in this case it wasn't the fault of the truck driver!

Glad you set the record straight. A first for everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear mr lite Beer. Instead of only copying the text of the Samui Times. I would have appreciated if you also had taken my comment about what really happend.

After reading all the comments from people who didn't see the accident and only hear the gossip, I've to comment about this because I was a witness. 1. the truck driver didn't go fast, because I was driving behind the truck, maybe at 60 km. max. If I had droven harder I couldn't have stop in time without also hit the victims. 2. The farang wanted to pass the truck on the left and very close to the walkway. I saw that there was a little hole in the road close to the walkway. I suppose because of this the farang lost control of the motorbike and they fell to the right under the truck before the rear tires.

I'm very sorry for the victims, may they rest in peace. But in this case it wasn't the fault of the truck driver!

So both you AND the cement truck were going way over the speed limit then? Wonder what the stopping distance is for a cement truck from 60kph?

I was overtaken by one 2 days ago on my way to Nathon (I was riding my Honda Wave) He flew past me, and I accelerated to see what speed he was doing. I caught him just before the bend leading up to the mountain (coming from Bantai) he was doing just over 90 kph! And overtaking anything that was in his way. The cars coming the other way had to move over or hit him head on. It was unbelievable, just wish I had one of those helmet cameras. They are all nutters, and this has been going on for years. I remember a few years ago when 2 holiday makers were walking at the side of the road (Bantai area I think) and were hit and killed by a cement truck. Of course it didn't stop. Dangerous, irresponsible scumbags.